Weight lifting and weight loss.

Options
I'm a 30 year old, 5'0", 165 lbs female. I lift six days a week and eat between 1200-1300 calories a day and have noticed that I am leaning out even though the scale isn't moving. My question is at what point should I actually start to lose weight? I definitely am thrilled to be getting leaner but being so short, I would like to get to a healthier weight too. My goal is to drop my body fat a great deal and actually build muscle/get defined not just lean so any advice is appreciated too. Thanks!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing just fine then.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see your logging.

You're not going to build muscle in a caloric deficit, most likely. Especially if you're eating 1200-1300 calories.

Generally, muscle growth requires a caloric surplus, adequate protein and a progressive overload.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I'm a 30 year old, 5'0", 165 lbs female. I lift six days a week and eat between 1200-1300 calories a day and have noticed that I am leaning out even though the scale isn't moving. My question is at what point should I actually start to lose weight? I definitely am thrilled to be getting leaner but being so short, I would like to get to a healthier weight too. My goal is to drop my body fat a great deal and actually build muscle/get defined not just lean so any advice is appreciated too. Thanks!

How long have you been at 1200-1300 calories? If just a week or two you might not see the scale move much. But if you are seeing more definition and clothes are getting looser then there's really not much of a point watching the scale.

As Issack mentioned, you're probably not gaining muscle (maybe a bit of new lifter gains) but the muscles will certainly get stronger and as bf% goes down they will definitely become more noticeable.

• KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and almost 30 years old too! I also lift too (strong 5x5) started almost 2 months ago.

I dropped 10 lbs relatively quickly (1 lb per week) but at ~1600 calories a day before I start lifting. Now I am eating at around 1450 calories because I am getting closer to my goal weight. Maybe you should rethink your TDEE, especially if you are weight training.

I tried 1200 calories for a couple of days and I felt weak, hungry, irritated and generally not happy.
  • Nyyanksgal
    Nyyanksgal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First off-that's a very low calorie intake if you are working out. 2nd-the scale may not move, but muscle weighs more then fat. Don't get discouraged...add on some cardio to burn off some of the extra weight. You will def notice your clothes fitting better :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Nyyanksgal wrote: »
    First off-that's a very low calorie intake if you are working out. 2nd-the scale may not move, but muscle weighs more then fat. Don't get discouraged...add on some cardio to burn off some of the extra weight. You will def notice your clothes fitting better :)

1lb of muscle = 1lb of fat??

Muscle is more dense than fat. :#
  • MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started limiting my calories the 1st of May but was not lifting and I did drop weight as I was 185 lbs before. I started lifting in the beginning of July but had a gall bladder attack that knocked me out of the gym for two weeks so I've only been back at it for going on 2 weeks. I do hate to admit that during those two weeks I let myself get depressed about being out of the gym and stuffed my face with junk so I'm only starting to log again. With watching what I eat again, I am also changing my intake ratios to 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat. I do want to raise my calories since I was set at 1200 by a nutritionist when I wasn't active and now that I lift, I do get moments when I feel like my sugar is low and my cheeks are sinking in but didn't know what would be a good new goal. Unfortunately my nutritionist has moved and the base I am at doesn't have the new one in yet. Thanks
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I started limiting my calories the 1st of May but was not lifting and I did drop weight as I was 185 lbs before. I started lifting in the beginning of July but had a gall bladder attack that knocked me out of the gym for two weeks so I've only been back at it for going on 2 weeks. I do hate to admit that during those two weeks I let myself get depressed about being out of the gym and stuffed my face with junk so I'm only starting to log again. With watching what I eat again, I am also changing my intake ratios to 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat. I do want to raise my calories since I was set at 1200 by a nutritionist when I wasn't active and now that I lift, I do get moments when I feel like my sugar is low and my cheeks are sinking in but didn't know what would be a good new goal. Unfortunately my nutritionist has moved and the base I am at doesn't have the new one in yet. Thanks

You don't need a nutritionist to change macros or set calories...

enter your details into MFP, set it for 0.5-1.5lb loss per week... if it puts you at 1200 calories and you're having a hard time with that number, reduce the loss per week
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you're not changing your BF, you said you're getting leaner? well, there you go. You're headed in the right direction. I don't know how you have the energy to lift at that low of calories though!
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options

giphy.gif
  • MGarcia0504
    Options
    I did change it in mfp however it only raised my caloric limits by 30.
  • Nyyanksgal
    Nyyanksgal Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Well yes, obviously
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Slow and steady progress is still progress so don't getting impatient like a lot of people seem to. I started out as a 165 lb, 5'5" mom of 2 with a high body fat %. It has been almost 3 years of hard work and dedication in the gym and kitchen and I am finally seeing what I have been working towards coming into focus.
    I am 37 years old and 14 weeks away from a figure competition. I chose to compete as I felt like I needed a goal...something to work towards so I didn't lose my way. If you think that may work for you then find a goal that scares the crap out of you (like I did) and go for it!

ETA: As of this morning (which is when my current profile pic was taken) I weigh 148lbs...so still heavy but my body fat % is below 20 so the scale means absolutely nothing and is a poor measure of progress.
  • MGarcia0504
    Options
    Slow and steady progress is still progress so don't getting impatient like a lot of people seem to. I started out as a 165 lb, 5'5" mom of 2 with a high body fat %. It has been almost 3 years of hard work and dedication in the gym and kitchen and I am finally seeing what I have been working towards coming into focus.
    I am 37 years old and 14 weeks away from a figure competition. I chose to compete as I felt like I needed a goal...something to work towards so I didn't lose my way. If you think that may work for you then find a goal that scares the crap out of you (like I did) and go for it!

ETA: As of this morning (which is when my current profile pic was taken) I weigh 148lbs...so still heavy but my body fat % is below 20 so the scale means absolutely nothing and is a poor measure of progress.

That's good to know regarding your weight being above 140 but it being low in body fat. One thing I'm trying to change is my mindset. I have spent so long stuck on the number the scale says that it is difficult to look past it at times though I feel amazing, am told a lot how I look like I've lost weight and have dropped clothing sizes already. Ultimately decreasing my body fat and building muscle is what I want. I don't want to just be skinny but want to be muscular. I honestly wasn't sure if I needed to drop all that weight in the beginning. Lifting weights was just something a friend invited me to do with her and her husband to get me out of the house as I suffer from depression and tend to lock myself away. Didn't plan on loving it and I definitely plan on sticking with it regardless of how long it takes me to get where I want to be. Lifting weights has been the best anti-depressing ever. I leave the gym after a good workout and feel amazing even if I'm walking like a newborn baby calf after a hard leg day. Lol.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Well yes, obviously

So muscle doesn't weigh more than fat then, lol.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1200 is too low. I'm 5"2 and 117. I lift and maintain at 1650, sometimes higher on more active days.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    Options

Well yes, obviously

1 lb of muscle=1lb of fat =1lb of feathers = 1 lb of jelly beans =1 lb dumbell

People get this mixed all the time.

1 lb of muscle is smaller in volume than 1 lb of fat so therefore yes, 1lb of muscle is DENSER (aka smaller) than 1 lb of fat. That is why people may weigh the same yet look different in size.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Well yes, obviously

@IsaackGMOON I can always appreciate someone demanding specificity of language ... as a matter of fact, I'm doing the exact same thing right now. You see, your argument really works best if someone says, "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat." Then your reply makes perfect sense. In this particular instance, @nyyanksgirl said, "muscle weighs more than fat," so your reply doesn't really work. In fact, your correct assertion that muscle is more dense than fat actually helps to prove what she said.

My question is this ... are you agreeing with her or disagreeing with her?
  • KimmyKicksAss
    Options
    To the OP, don't get discourage by the scale. It's only one way of measuring data. See how your clothes fit. (I regret buying dresses in a larger size from last season) IMO, compliments is more encouraging than the scale.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your lifts!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you've only recently started working out, or even recently changed your lifting routine, you're going to have extra water retention, particularly in the muscle - it helps the body with muscle repair.
    Assuming your calorie deficit is accurate, the water weight might be hiding some fat loss.