Poor weekend choices and weight gain

Options
I have no problem packing a healthy lunch to take to work and for dinner during the week. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for 3 weeks and have lost 12lbs. Its losing control on the weekends that I have always struggled with everytime I try to lose weight. Is there a secret to be able to enjoy some of those favorite foods on the weekend without feeling out of control? Any ideas to help me and others with the same problem be able to still lose a little weight over the weekend and enjoy a good meal with friends?

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You can always do some cardio to earn more calories. Plus, with only 26 lbs. to lose, you can lose at a slightly slower rate and get more calories. Yay for more calories!!

Congrats on your loss.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Look into calorie cycling or intermittent fasting. I eat very low during the week so that I can have larger meals on weekends / social events.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance on weekends and cut back a little more during the week. That second part would be tough at 1200 though.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    you've lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks, and you think you're doing something wrong?

I think if you give it time, you'll find that you work your favorite things in. There's nothing wrong with 1200 for 5 days and 1800 or 2000 for the other two _IF_ you're still in a deficit for the week on average.

When I do this, I find my weight loss is very non-linear. But still is a loss in the long term if my average weekly intake is still in a deficit.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Look into calorie cycling or intermittent fasting. I eat very low during the week so that I can have larger meals on weekends / social events.

Ditto. I plan my weekly calories around my weekend plans. If I know I have an event or will be eating out, I lower my calories during the week so I have extras on the weekend.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'be been following a low carb eating plan for 2 years. I have eliminated most starches and our mandatory dessert for the most part to stay at my calorie goal but allow myself a glass of wine. My biggest problem initially was the reaction of my friends to my new way of eating. I hope this helps.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was going out and riding a bicycle for an hour or two on the days of the weekends, so I didn't have to stick so close to the goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Other cultures can be social, eat and drink, and not get fat. Their portions are MUCH smaller however. There was a recent thread with lots of people from other countries who expressed astonished at the size of American portions.

I plan to always bring half of my entree home. I'm full with half an entree and a drink, so if I'm with people who want to share appetizers, plan my entree accordingly. Chewing slowly and trying to eat mindfully despite the conversation helps too.

I also up my exercise on days that I'm going out to eat.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    12lb is a fantastic loss - well done! Your weekends can't be effecting your goals very much at all :)
    The way I look at it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Saying that - it's great you're aware of what you're consuming. I think this awareness alone will help you make slightly better choices at the weekend. Know that it's okay to eat what you like in moderation - perhaps allow yourself a couple of hundred more calories at the weekend and check what the scales say to that. Sometimes it's trial and error.

Remember, for this to be a complete lifestyle change and sustainable - it needs to be realistic. Realistically, can you stick to 1200 at weekends? I know I couldn't. I ate at 1200 and lost 25lbs. I have now upped my calories to 1500 and am losing a little slower but it's a small price to pay for being able to actually eat!

Best of luck!
  • Nanoo2013
    Nanoo2013 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps! That way you're completely in control.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log my food during the weekend just to make sure not to go crazy. You can also do extra cardio and bank calories. I bank and save em during the special days. Just be mindful in eating and watch your portions!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I wish my poor weekend choices only led to weight gain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well if you're only eating 1200 every day of the week, there's no wonder it's harder to make good choices on the week ends... I'd never feel happy and satisfied with that and my willpower would probably go out of the window when I'm surrounded with more appetizing choices.

Eat a reasonable amount (with what you have to lose, aim for 1 pound a week max), eat back half your exercise calories, don't deprive yourself all week because it's just not going to work.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in three weeks? Seriously? Tell me again what your problem is?
  • memccoart
    memccoart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The past 3 weeks have been successful but I know if I continue to eat poorly on the weekends eventually it will catch up with me and the weight I lose during the week will be regained. I ask for help because in the past this is what has happened. Thank you all for such great advice! I will take these all in consideration:)
  • mrsmlkp248
    mrsmlkp248 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8kg (not sure what that is in lbs, I'm in Australia and we work on kgs) in 4 weeks by eating 1200 or lower calories during the week and allowing 1 binge day a weekend of around 1400. I still choose meals wisely and refrain from high carb foods but allow myself extra meat and cheese for example on a weekend. I prelog every day to keep myself in check and if I know I have a social event will alter my days to allow for it.
    If anything my one higher calorie weekend day seems to kick-start me for the next week and definitely starves off cravings.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well if you're only eating 1200 every day of the week, there's no wonder it's harder to make good choices on the week ends... I'd never feel happy and satisfied with that and my willpower would probably go out of the window when I'm surrounded with more appetizing choices.

Eat a reasonable amount (with what you have to lose, aim for 1 pound a week max), eat back half your exercise calories, don't deprive yourself all week because it's just not going to work.

Perfect advice.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Great loss! I'm curious are you 1200 5 days then on the weekend you go over a bit? I'm trying to stick to 1200 as well. Congrats.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Four pound a a week loss is really really a lot. Too much too fast really. Like others have said. Eat a more reasonable amount during the week and you won't feel so much like going wild on the weekends. remember you are cresting habits that you will need to sustain for a lifetime, it's not a temporary thing. There is no deadline to make to get the weight off.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    memccoart wrote: »
    I have no problem packing a healthy lunch to take to work and for dinner during the week. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for 3 weeks and have lost 12lbs. Its losing control on the weekends that I have always struggled with everytime I try to lose weight. Is there a secret to be able to enjoy some of those favorite foods on the weekend without feeling out of control? Any ideas to help me and others with the same problem be able to still lose a little weight over the weekend and enjoy a good meal with friends?

Yes ... the secret is .....

..................... exercise.

Go for a decent jog, a long hike, a good bicycle ride. Take a spinning class, go swimming, run on the treadmill.

If you burn quite a few calories with exercise, you'll be able to enjoy your favourite foods.