Raising your metabolism

Options
I hear ads on the radio about diet supplements that are supposed to raise your metabolic rate. I was told that a persons metabolism is set and cannot be changed. Which one is correct?

Mike

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can raise your metabolism through exercise. I would not do it with meds. They are only temporary and could cause dangerous heart related problems.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is always at 70%. You can raise the rest of the 30% through exercise and frequent meals. Eat small meals 5-6 times a day to keep your metabolism active. Of course exercise is going to help alot too.
  • jvkh127
    Options
    You can raise your metabolism through exercise. I would not do it with meds. They are only temporary and could cause dangerous heart related problems.

I agree totally, these kinds of meds are not healthy for you!!!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I hear ads on the radio about diet supplements that are supposed to raise your metabolic rate. I was told that a persons metabolism is set and cannot be changed. Which one is correct?

Mike

There are thermogenic pills that supposedly raise your body temperature slightly causing your to burn more calories, that's a theory. I don't know if it's true or not. I have taken pills of that sort before. Guess what they all say... they all say "this is to be used with a reduce calorie diet and a exercise program." If you DONT exercise and reduce your calories, you can't say "it didn't work" someone would say "because you didn't follow the directions." Lets say you did use a low caloric diet and exercised and you used the pills... You lose some weight, was it the diet and exercise that cause you to lose weight, or the pills?? you really don't know.

So in summary, it's kind of a scam of some sorts. Just save your money, don't waste it on that stuff... The only supplements I would recommend are, micro nutrients, including healthy fats such as fish oils... And sources of protein, including Brain chain amino acids, whey protein... and even algae forms.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weight lifting!
  • registers
    Options
    Your BMR is always at 70%. You can raise the rest of the 30% through exercise and frequent meals. Eat small meals 5-6 times a day to keep your metabolism active. Of course exercise is going to help alot too.

Just to inform you, not trying to sound rude or anything. But that 5-6 meal a day thing is a myth. There are a lot of myths in the fitness community, that's just one.

below is a link dismissing that claim.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8399092
  • 2nyce
    2nyce Posts: 37
    Options
    I think that water boost the metabolism also
  • trekr200
    trekr200 Posts: 8
    Options
    That's what I figured. Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it.
  • registers
    Options
    forgot to mention, cardio does raise your metabolism temporarily, for long term increase in metabolism, resistance training should be used. It will build muscle which burns more calories. After a lifting session your body is burning calories repairing the muscle.
  • jvkh127
    Options

Just to inform you, not trying to sound rude or anything. But that 5-6 meal a day thing is a myth. There are a lot of myths in the fitness community, that's just one.

below is a link dismissing that claim.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8399092

Your not being rude eveyone has their opinion. For me this "myth" worked completely. I did not change anything except my eating habits. I used to eat 2 meals a day thats it and constantly gained weight. I changed and starting eating breakfast then a snack or lunch then dinner then another snack before bed and I have lost 13 lbs pretty much just doing this. I rarely have time to exercise because of my schedule. So yeah it may not work for some but it sure as hell worked for me!!!

Oh yeah just another funny note...when I ate 2 meals my stomach never growled, when I started eating 5 meals a day it growled every 3 hours like clock work lol saying heelllloooooo feed me!!! : )
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Getting the right amount of sleep (not too much, not too little) will do wonders for your metabolism.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Dietary intake, food or "supplements", will not affect metabolic rate, INCLUDING meal timing and frequency.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    Cardio, weights and small frequent meals WILL boost the metabolism.

Your body is a very clever "machine" it will adjust based on the above three factors.

Sitting on your backside, hardly eating or "starving and stuffing" WILL NOT boost your metabolism.

Pills and supplements probably work, but do you know the health risks?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Your body is a very clever "machine" it will adjust based on the above three factors.

Sitting on your backside, hardly eating or "starving and stuffing" WILL NOT boost your metabolism.

Please, post any evidence showing that meal frequency will boost metabolism. There isn't any.

I eat, at most, two meals a day. What's wrong with that?
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options

Please, post any evidence showing that meal frequency will boost metabolism. There isn't any.

Firstly, some people if they are genetically gifted can get away with low meal numbers, eat what they want and burn through it all without storing anything. These are the people who seem to do very little at the gym and always end up looking good....

Let's ignore them.

Obviously everything is slightly different for all people because of different factors, age, height, weight, activity level etc etc etc

What might work for some will not for others. In terms of meal frequency however, two meals a day will not provide the body with the correct nutrient supply during the day. Your body is a machine, that needs fuelling all the time. Not having the correct nutrient supply over the 24 hour period will mean your body starts to break down muscles and eventually fat to get the nutrients it needs.

By reducing the number of meals you are having the options available is pig out for a bit, starve yourself, then pig out and starve yourself again. This approach will hamper progress in the long run for most people.

When you eat your body will use everything it needs, then starts storing the rest as fat. Also by starving yourself over a long period of time with this starve and stuff mentality (over a period of weeks for instance) you will slow down your metabolism as your body will soon start to ask where is the food.

You (Mapexdrunner69) have a 2300 calorie diary going on and seem to have HUGE meals even at night. Most people who work 9-5 find they body slows down in the evening, eating a large meal before bed will simply mean most of it gets stored as fat as the body is less active (obviously again there are some differences based on individual routines).

Since I'm running out in a bit and don't have time to type everything I want to say, I'll post a passage from a book by Tom Venuto - Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle:

The reason most beginners have a hard time accepting the five or six meals
    concept is because what I’m suggesting, in many cases, is that some people actually eat
    MORE FOOD than they’ve ever eaten before; the food is simply spread out into smaller
    portions. This idea might sound contrary to everything you’ve ever heard about losing
    weight. I even said so myself in our previous talk about calories; you have to eat less than
    you burn in order to lose weight, right?

True, calories count. But the amazing thing about eating frequently is that IT
    MAKES YOU BURN MORE CALORIES! Five or six meals a day accelerates your
    body’s natural rate of calorie burning.

Why skipping meals is one of the cardinal sins of fat burning nutrition...and how to
    eat more food and lose more fat at the same time

Skipping meals (or leaving long gaps between meals) is the cardinal sin of fat-
    burning and muscle-building nutrition. Missing meals slows down your metabolism,
    causes muscle loss and triggers your body’s starvation responses.

Suppose you skip breakfast and you haven’t eaten since 8:00 p.m. the previous
    evening. If you eat lunch at 12:00 pm, you’ve gone 16 hours without any food. At this
    point, you are not only in a highly catabolic (muscle wasting) state, you’re also sending an
    unmistakable starvation signal to your body.

If skipping meals is the cardinal sin of fat burning and muscle building nutrition,
    then skipping breakfast is a capital crime suited for the death penalty! And yet
    “everybody” is doing it!

When I analyze nutrition programs for my clients, one of the most common errors
    I see is skipping breakfast or eating it late, around 10:00 a.m. or even later. “I don’t have
    time” is usually the excuse justifying this unforgivable blunder. Let’s take a close look at
    the devastating impact this lack of planning and discipline has on your fat loss efforts:
    Suppose you’re in a hurry to get to work in the morning and you bolt out the door
    without eating breakfast. Your first meal of the day is lunch at 12:00 noon. It’s
    moderately sized, let’s say 500 calories, consisting of a turkey sandwich on wheat and a
    banana. Sounds fairly healthy so far. By your customary dinnertime of 6:00 p.m., you are
    ravenously hungry, and you polish off a massive plate of pasta for a total of 800 calories.
    Later that night you’re still hungry and craving something sweet. Some cookies and low
    fat milk do the trick – about 300 calories. Then you go right to sleep. Although far from
    perfect, this menu doesn’t sound like a total disaster to the average, uniformed person...
    But IT IS! It’s a nightmare!

If we add up those calories, it totals only 1600 for the entire day. In theory, at least
    according to the calorie calculations you did previously, you should be losing fat – quite
    rapidly if you’re a man. So why aren’t you? It’s because you’re doing EVERYTHING
    possible to encourage your body to store fat: You are going catabolic by leaving 18 hours
    between dinner and the next day’s lunch. This causes muscle loss and metabolic
    downgrade. Because you’ve only eaten one meal during the day, you’re famished and you
    eat too much at dinner. Even though you’re in a 24-hour calorie deficit, this causes fat
    storage anyway because you’ve eaten more than you can handle at one sitting. By
    “starving and stuffing,” you’ve also set yourself up for serious cravings at night; usually
    the wrong foods – like cookies or ice cream!

In the long run, this type of diet is a sure-fire way to slow down your metabolism,
    lose muscle and gain body fat. On the other hand, 2400 calories spread out into five or six
    small meals of 400 - 480 calories each (about 300-350 calories per meal for women), will
    increase energy, accelerate muscle growth, and speed up your metabolism without fat
    storage. Frequent eating can actually allow you to consume up to 50% more calories
    without storing an ounce of it as fat!

Not a scientific study, but it is one passage of the book.

If you are still not satisfied with that answer I'll propose something to you:

Picture a body builder (I train with enough of them on a day in day out basis...I see them during their on and off season).

When a body builder is looking at getting on stage, the idea is to grow muscle and drop fat. These guys are always eating! I mean ALWAYS.

They also have body fat % in the low single digits. Their bodies are as lean as possible.

Sure they work out a lot, sure they measure everything, and are super strict and dont cheat etc etc etc...but it doesn't stop them from eating. In fact, they have alarms that are set to go off to remind them to eat to keep fuelling their bodies.

These guys train themselves in such a way that their bodies are able to process everything they eat so efficiently that they maintain their lean physique while still holding onto muscle mass (which is usually the first thing the body attacks when it is starved of nutrients).

Oh and I'm well aware of their pre-competition routines or dehydrating themselves, tanning themselves to make the muscles look bigger and the skin to feel and look tighter. I don't condone this aspect. But ultimately you cannot argue with the results.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Firstly, some people if they are genetically gifted can get away with low meal numbers, eat what they want and burn through it all without storing anything. These are the people who seem to do very little at the gym and always end up looking good....

Let's ignore them.

Obviously everything is slightly different for all people because of different factors, age, height, weight, activity level etc etc etc

What might work for some will not for others. In terms of meal frequency however, two meals a day will not provide the body with the correct nutrient supply during the day. Your body is a machine, that needs fuelling all the time. Not having the correct nutrient supply over the 24 hour period will mean your body starts to break down muscles and eventually fat to get the nutrients it needs.

By reducing the number of meals you are having the options available is pig out for a bit, starve yourself, then pig out and starve yourself again. This approach will hamper progress in the long run for most people.

When you eat your body will use everything it needs, then starts storing the rest as fat. Also by starving yourself over a long period of time with this starve and stuff mentality (over a period of weeks for instance) you will slow down your metabolism as your body will soon start to ask where is the food.

You (Mapexdrunner69) have a 2300 calorie diary going on and seem to have HUGE meals even at night. Most people who work 9-5 find they body slows down in the evening, eating a large meal before bed will simply mean most of it gets stored as fat as the body is less active (obviously again there are some differences based on individual routines).

Since I'm running out in a bit and don't have time to type everything I want to say, I'll post a passage from a book by Tom Venuto - Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle:

concept is because what I’m suggesting, in many cases, is that some people actually eat
    MORE FOOD than they’ve ever eaten before; the food is simply spread out into smaller
    portions. This idea might sound contrary to everything you’ve ever heard about losing
    weight. I even said so myself in our previous talk about calories; you have to eat less than

Why skipping meals is one of the cardinal sins of fat burning nutrition...and how to

burning and muscle-building nutrition. Missing meals slows down your metabolism,

evening. If you eat lunch at 12:00 pm, you’ve gone 16 hours without any food. At this
    point, you are not only in a highly catabolic (muscle wasting) state, you’re also sending an

If skipping meals is the cardinal sin of fat burning and muscle building nutrition,
    then skipping breakfast is a capital crime suited for the death penalty! And yet
    “everybody” is doing it!

I see is skipping breakfast or eating it late, around 10:00 a.m. or even later. “I don’t have
    time” is usually the excuse justifying this unforgivable blunder. Let’s take a close look at
    the devastating impact this lack of planning and discipline has on your fat loss efforts:
    Suppose you’re in a hurry to get to work in the morning and you bolt out the door
    without eating breakfast. Your first meal of the day is lunch at 12:00 noon. It’s
    moderately sized, let’s say 500 calories, consisting of a turkey sandwich on wheat and a
    banana. Sounds fairly healthy so far. By your customary dinnertime of 6:00 p.m., you are
    ravenously hungry, and you polish off a massive plate of pasta for a total of 800 calories.
    Later that night you’re still hungry and craving something sweet. Some cookies and low
    fat milk do the trick – about 300 calories. Then you go right to sleep. Although far from
    perfect, this menu doesn’t sound like a total disaster to the average, uniformed person...

If we add up those calories, it totals only 1600 for the entire day. In theory, at least
    according to the calorie calculations you did previously, you should be losing fat – quite
    rapidly if you’re a man. So why aren’t you? It’s because you’re doing EVERYTHING
    possible to encourage your body to store fat: You are going catabolic by leaving 18 hours
    downgrade. Because you’ve only eaten one meal during the day, you’re famished and you
    eat too much at dinner. Even though you’re in a 24-hour calorie deficit, this causes fat
    “starving and stuffing,” you’ve also set yourself up for serious cravings at night; usually

In the long run, this type of diet is a sure-fire way to slow down your metabolism,
    lose muscle and gain body fat. On the other hand, 2400 calories spread out into five or six
    small meals of 400 - 480 calories each (about 300-350 calories per meal for women), will
    increase energy, accelerate muscle growth, and speed up your metabolism without fat
    storage. Frequent eating can actually allow you to consume up to 50% more calories

Picture a body builder (I train with enough of them on a day in day out basis...I see them during their on and off season).

When a body builder is looking at getting on stage, the idea is to grow muscle and drop fat. These guys are always eating! I mean ALWAYS.

They also have body fat % in the low single digits. Their bodies are as lean as possible.

Sure they work out a lot, sure they measure everything, and are super strict and dont cheat etc etc etc...but it doesn't stop them from eating. In fact, they have alarms that are set to go off to remind them to eat to keep fuelling their bodies.

These guys train themselves in such a way that their bodies are able to process everything they eat so efficiently that they maintain their lean physique while still holding onto muscle mass (which is usually the first thing the body attacks when it is starved of nutrients).

Oh and I'm well aware of their pre-competition routines or dehydrating themselves, tanning themselves to make the muscles look bigger and the skin to feel and look tighter. I don't condone this aspect. But ultimately you cannot argue with the results.

I really hate that you took all that time to post such erroneous information.

You are significantly misinformed.

Again,

1. Meal frequency has no effect on weight loss.
    2. Meal frequency has no effect on metabolism.
    3. Repeat 1,2.
    4. Nutrient timing has no effect on weight loss.
    5. Nutrient timing has no effect on metabolism.
    6. Repeat 4,5.
    7. Gain nutritional knowledge, not anecdotal results.
    8. Profit.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

My thought is always, And are you planning on taking these forever? WHat happens when you stop taking them? Does your weight magically stay off?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Weight training + high protein diet really helps built muscle which burns a lot of fat throughout the day. I would stay away from diet pills. Just doesn't pass the smell test. :)

Also, I don't eat but 2 meals per day. I'm also losing 2 lbs a week for the last 10 weeks. My body fat percentage has dropped 6% too.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Let's ignore them.

“everybody” is doing it!

I really hate that you took all that time to post such erroneous information.

You are significantly misinformed.

Again,

1. Meal frequency has no effect on weight loss.
    2. Meal frequency has no effect on metabolism.
    3. Repeat 1,2.
    4. Nutrient timing has no effect on weight loss.
    5. Nutrient timing has no effect on metabolism.
    6. Repeat 4,5.
    7. Gain nutritional knowledge, not anecdotal results.
    8. Profit.

Mapexdrummer = win.

I eat 1-2 meals per day when I used to eat 5-6 per day. Eating less meals, in my opinion, is significantly better SOLELY due to the convenience of it.

Anyone saying that 5-6 meals per day is better for them is wrong. Sorry. Something changed: your exercise, your eating, whatever. Meal timing changes NOTHING. At all. NOTHING. It would be like saying, "I started losing weight when I stopped burning 500 calories from biking and now burn 500 calories from running." - the caloric output will NOT change from meal frequency.

It's a myth.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Weight training + high protein diet really helps built muscle which burns a lot of fat throughout the day. I would stay away from diet pills. Just doesn't pass the smell test. :)

Also, I don't eat but 2 meals per day. I'm also losing 2 lbs a week for the last 10 weeks. My body fat percentage has dropped 6% too.

Actually caloric surplus + high protein + weight training = building muscle.
    Caloric deficit + high protein + weight training = burning fat WITHOUT any muscle gain.

High protein + weight training should be the staple of anyone's diet/training routine whether they are trying to gain muscle OR lose fat. Period.