What is considered a cheat?

Options
2»

Replies

• msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No cheating exists in eating. It's not a morality issue. You cheat on your spouse, your taxes, a test. No moral judgment on what you eat. Just that some things are healthier for your body than others. Some things will work against a weight loss goal. But it doesn't make you "bad." IMHO
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cheating for me is breaking a promise or lying. Just like cheating in a relationship. And I do think that can apply in that you can make promises to yourself as to how much or what you will eat. For example, I have promised myself that I will average 1500 calories per day over the course of this week. If I do not keep that promise, I am "cheating" on myself. Promises are always negotiable, but lying never is. I just try not to make any promises I can't keep.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat especially to myself. If I go over my cal, then so be it. I don't consider it cheating because it's my choice. Life's too short. Let's just enjoy food moderately. Eat wisely!
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ❤️ the contra code! I log like 99.9% of everything and almost 100% of the time I stick within my calorie deficit but I just didn't know what everyone's consensus on cheating was
  • mrsmlkp248
    mrsmlkp248 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My 'cheats' are always worked in to fit my daily calorie goal. For example I love hot chips so if I want hot chips then I log it and if it means I eat less that day then so be it because I enjoyed my cheat meal but can be happy I am still within my calories.
    One day a week though I allow myself to eat more but again it's still within allowed calories just the higher end.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Cheating to me means going over calories, since that's how I've seen most people use it. As long as your cheat doesn't put you into 'gaining weight' calories then it's not a huge deal as long as it's only once or twice a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    I've come to detest the description of a "cheat" meal in diet/fitness industry. You either stay within your calorie range or not. Regardless of the food choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've come to detest the description of a "cheat" meal in diet/fitness industry. You either stay within your calorie range or not. Regardless of the food choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah I agree with this. I never feel bad about anything I eat if its within my calories for the day. Now that I'm in maintenance I only really regret it if I go over by like 500+ calories, because I know I'm gonna have to make up for it , and I hate being in a deficit anymore lol
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't really think of anything as a "cheat". Sometimes I eat a deficit, sometimes I eat at maintenance, yesterday I ate a 600 calorie surplus. It is what it is. I think that's just normal eating, sometimes we eat more, sometimes we eat less. I try to maintain some sort of balance by monitoring my intake (in line with my goals), but that doesn't mean I eat the same thing everyday!
  • OmarRakeen
    OmarRakeen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cheating does not exist. over eating on the other hand does. food is food no matter what form it comes in. who cares if you indulge in a piece of cheesecake and lose 1 lbs by the weekend? dont over think stuff. enjoy!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    GeddesFit wrote: »
    Is it still cheating if it fits in your calorie deficit or does it require going over?
    What about junk food and candy?

If it fits within your calorie limit ... it is not cheating.

If it fits within your weekly calorie limit ... it is not cheating.

If you plan to go over your calorie limit as a part of planned break ... it is not cheating.

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want. Most of my food has high nutritional values, and I try to eat as much protein as I can. However, I still eat chocolate, cake, crisps etc. I just fit them into my diary.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    OmarRakeen wrote: »
    cheating does not exist. over eating on the other hand does. food is food no matter what form it comes in. who cares if you indulge in a piece of cheesecake and lose 1 lbs by the weekend? dont over think stuff. enjoy!

Exactly!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think using the word "cheat" for anything that isn't harmful and dishonest is a misuse of the term.

I agree with most who say that lying on the food log (and thus lying to yourself and any MFP friends) is cheating. I don't think intentional, planned indulgences are cheating, nor do I think simply not logging is cheating (sometimes people just need a break). But lying -- logging two slices of pizza instead of the entire pizza, say -- would be cheating and harmful to developing a healthy relationship with food.