Eggs - yes, no, maybe?

Options
2»

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's a great app, just don't really put too much worry into what the food score says. Sometimes I think wow, this was an amazingly healthy meal and I get a 4 or 5. WTF? But I do agree with the scores on let's say, about 75% of the meals imported from MFP into UP.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Delete app. I eat between two and six eggs every single day. Cholesterol is perfect, overall health is awesome.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Ignore your Jawbone UP food score—it's rubbish. In fact, ignore the green food tab entirely and let your activity tracker do what it's good at—calculate your TDEE.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Log food & drink in MFP and follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments. Log exercise in the UP app—not MFP.

FYI, MFP has a Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/13420-jawbone-up-bracelet
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Scoring system is bunk! That's a great breakfast!
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you and a great source of protein. I try to get myself to eat more eggs. I eat quail eggs instead of chicken eggs. As long as you don't eat too much cholesterol each day.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Yeah, um. Delete that app.

I'd agree with that.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It's because of the cholesterol in the eggs, but unless you have a cholesterol problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Most doctors now say that the dietary cholesterol in eggs is not that harmful, compared to the nutritional benefit they provide.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    eggs are the best...cheap protein, filling, relatively low cal. if you're worried about dietary cholesterol don't eat the yolk.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes to eggs love them for the yolk
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I raise both quail and chickens. Yes to eggs for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you and a great source of protein. I try to get myself to eat more eggs. I eat quail eggs instead of chicken eggs. As long as you don't eat too much cholesterol each day.

@dontgiveup2319 I read something about cholesterol the other day. 15% of our cholesterol levels when tested come from cholesterol in our diet. 85% is made by our bodies from the other foods we eat. That helped me to understand eating cholesterol laden foods was only 15% of the concern I thought it was. I do limit my eggs to about 6 a day so I do not overdo the protein.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    UP band...probably bc of the cholesterol in the egg.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

@dontgiveup2319 I read something about cholesterol the other day. 15% of our cholesterol levels when tested come from cholesterol in our diet. 85% is made by our bodies from the other foods we eat. That helped me to understand eating cholesterol laden foods was only 15% of the concern I thought it was. I do limit my eggs to about 6 a day so I do not overdo the protein.

this sentence makes absolutely no sense - you're saying that 100% of the cholesterol level comes from diet. Which is not accurate.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

this sentence makes absolutely no sense - you're saying that 100% of the cholesterol level comes from diet. Which is not accurate.

I read it as 15% is directly from our diet. The other 85% is made by our bodies, which use the rest of our diet to live.
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great, don't worry about the cholesterol
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Dietary cholesterol...not a problem.
    Sodium? for most people, not a problem.

Your app is scoring your food based on outdated information. Uninstall.

Eggs and steel cut oats are fantastic foods!

Eggs are friggin amazing. Add some pasta sauce to your eggs. Seriously. Try ittttt. Soooooooooo good!!!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Huge yes. Almost a perfect food for my diet and keeps me from hunger for hours longer than cereal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    mlturner08 wrote: »
    i have been enjoying two egg omlet w/ spinach and cheese for breakfast. I cook it in a pan with some Pam olive oil. I continue to get low scores on this food choice on my apps, is this really not a good breakfast choice? I also like steel cut oatmeal with dried blueberries but I don't get a good score with that either lol

Any breakfast suggestions?

sounds like a pretty stupid app.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    sounds like a pretty stupid app.

Jawbone UP is a range of activity trackers (like Fitbit) with a "feature" that scores your food based on how "healthy" it is. (Kind of like MFP's "this food is high in x," but even worse.) I just ignore it, and let my UP do what it's good at—calculate my TDEE.

https://jawbone.com/kb/articles/foodscore.html
    UP's Food Score is not meant to replace a nutrition label. Instead, its practical design provides an easily understood metric regarding the quality of your food. The Food Score consists of an easy 1–10 number scale. Ten indicates a high-quality food based on the "healthy" to "less healthy" ratio.

The Food Score is based on three key ratios that consider nutrients commonly considered by health professionals to indicate the quality of a food:

1. Fiber to sugar
    2. Unsaturated fat to saturated fat
    3. Protein to fat

These ratios allow UP to identify nutrient rich foods from nutrient poor foods in your diet.