No weight loss since joining gym

Options
i joined the gym a month ago & have been working out 4 times a week inc. 45 minutes of cardio each time, plus doing Zumba, Pilates & aerobics classes a few times a week. My weight's stayed exactly the same - is this normal?

Replies

• Pinkylady80
    Pinkylady80 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi, my situation is a bit different from yours, although similar. I was doing the Insanity workout 5/6 times a week for between 40 minutes and an hour. I started logging on MFP in Jan and my weight varies 7lb, I seem to lose then gain the lose then gain, there is no pattern to it and no reason. Maybe part of being a woman and I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that maybe my body is content with its shape (even if I'm not!) I have been monitoring my blood pressure which was on the high side though and that is now 'normal' so it's obviously been doing something x
  • Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do your goals need changing on MFP? Are you eating too much? Do you eat back the calories as MFP always over estimates calories burned.

Also, have you noticed any other changes, are you building muscle? The weight shown on the scale is only an indicator. Maybe take pictures or measurements and watch the change in those instead?

To conclude I would say it is perfectly normal. But to put your mind at rest, take some pictures now and again in a month and look at the differences.
  • Becky170467
    Becky170467 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I go on the cross-trainer, exercise bike & run on the treadmill the machine says I've burnt 350 calories in total. I don't trust that so although I log the exercise I don't use it to 'earn' calories - if I do I put 100 at the most. So I'm still on the 1200 per day before I started going to the gym.
  • dgoodie92
    dgoodie92 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? to make sure you're eatting correctly
  • Becky170467
    Options
    I lost a stone (14lb) using MFP from Feb-July & that was without weighing everything. I've not changed what I eat, the only change is being a lot more active now. I've lost 9cm from my waist, 7cm from hips & 4cm from thigh since Feb too. My thighs have actually got a bigger circumference since going to the gym - don't know if I'm using too many kg on leg press & leg extension.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's going to be tough losing weight by joining a gym unless it's accompanied by un-joining the kitchen.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dgoodie92 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food? to make sure you're eatting correctly

^^ all of that

its very easy to out eat exercise.... you dont burn nearly as much as you think you do
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    1200...either overeating since you don't weigh foods or eating too little.

Do you eat back exercise calories? Some do, some do by half, others don't at all.

Could possibly be muscle as well.

Do you take your measurements? Or take pictures to see differences?

Water weight/high sodium?

I know that when I exercise hard I might not see lots of results but then I take a short break from doing them and see a bigger difference.

• linaj1988
    linaj1988 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Measure your neck, waist, arm and hip instead of weighing yourself. Use body fat % as an indicator rather than the scales or BMI because you may actually be improving
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Hamez_UK wrote: »

Also, have you noticed any other changes, are you building muscle?

The OP hasn't built any measurable muscle based on her training program.
  • Becky170467
    Options
    Every gym session I do 45 minutes of cardio & 30 minutes weights.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    A few people are in here saying it may be muscle gains, but OP is not going to gain muscle if she's eating at a calorie deficit. So if OP has lost inches and gained muscle she's, at the very least, eating at maintenance.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your resilts are telling you that the sum total of your efforts mean you are at maintenance because you are eating more than you think and burning less. Control your consumption side and re establish your deficit by weighing and logging your food so you are at an accurate deficit. If you are eating back then eat 50% and adjust as needed. You just need to find where deficit is. No need to panic.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Forget the cardio and start pumping iron. Build that fat burning muscle!!!