do u need to be a gym freak/excersie 7 days a week to be fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you like being sore constantly with little progress be my guest. I hit the gym 4 days a week and have no problem keeping far down even on a massive surplus. Without rest how are you supposed to recover physically and mentally?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    The Law Of Diminishing Returns applies to fitness training as well. During the summer I make great strides with 30-40 mins of jogging/sprint drills and calisthenics.

I lost 100 pounds by simply adopting a few mantras and sticking to the plan.

"Eat for nutrition, not for taste"
    "A plan isn't a plan unless it's written"
    "Get on with it" and "get *kitten* done"

Here is a great article to touch on this subject of diminishing returns in fitness.

http://cathe.com/resistance-training-and-the-law-of-diminishing-returns
    I love Cathe. Personally myself, I don't do more than 30-45 minutes of lifting a day, and I walk 2-3 miles depending on my speed that day. Usually 5 days a week, but I feel I have to be somewhat in good shape to perform the exercises I want my clients to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    zipa78 wrote: »

Those are great, especially the first one. Everyone I know who struggles with the weight can't wrap their head around it.
    "Why would you eat a boiled/baked chicken breast? With no skin?! It should be deep fried!"

I don't like that first one. I'd much rather have a tasty grilled chicken breast with good seasoning and a fresh salsa than a pale, wobbly boiled abomination. Nutritionally they are pretty much equivalent, but on the mental side there is a world of difference. But to each their own, I know that some people have grown to view food as fuel, and they certainly have every right to do so. It's just that someone like me would rather kill myself than deprive myself the pleasure of good cuisine.
    Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog ;)
    Lol, if someone offered me FREE Ben & Jerry's for a year to perform 1000 burpees..............................I'd do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nope you don't. I work out 6 days a week right in my home for 30 minutes to an hour a day. My eating is healthy and I eat good tasty food. Just eat in proper portions. Have lost 12 lbs in the past month and inches as well. Find a workout that is fun that makes you look forward to it to get started and go from there.
  • Farahworld
    Farahworld Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    it depends on what kind of person you really are..
    some people thrive in the gym .. and some people wither away
    some people do their best while working out at home.. others pretend that working out at home is better, try it for a week or so, then they get lazy and forget about it..
    I think the gym should be a life style.. a community .. a more reason to get out of the house.. see people and move .. exercise maybe even compete with others..
    but no it won't make you really fit without eating healthy and properly
    but you what it will do?
    it will help you be healthier. Going to the gym 7 days in a week didn't help me lose weight but it did help not to gain more..( at that time I didn't change my eating habits and didn't count calories) .. but I didn't gain weight .. I was happy and almost fit ..
    the minute I started skipping gym( because of tests and stuff) and you know without changing my eating habits the pounds started piling up and before I knew it I gained 10 pounds!
    so yeah. the gym helps .. we can say it's a start
    you need to have a good start
    some people go to the gym and injure themselves by lifting the wrong weight or using a machine without proper stretch...
    in short.. join a gym and go at least 3 to 4 days that's better than the alternatives...

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    The Law Of Diminishing Returns applies to fitness training as well. During the summer I make great strides with 30-40 mins of jogging/sprint drills and calisthenics.

I cannot fathom eating like this. As another poster mentioned, you can add seasonings and have that blah chicken breast really taste great. This mentality follows the "I eat to live" whereas I "live to eat." I love trying new flavors, cuisines, etc. If I had to eat for nutrition alone, well, it would suck. Herbs and seasonings add little to no calories so why wouldn't you do it? Herbs and seasonings are what HELPED me stick with a healthy eating plan and lose weight.

I hate that saying - if you're so bothered about macros without enjoying what you're eating than just give up food altogether and keep to the protein shakes or Soylent. Food has been part of human nature ever since the dawn of time - which is why we have so much variety and culinary history. I'm no dog, but just because I can think doesn't mean I'm not an animal either. Things don't have to be bland to be healthy - God bless natural peanut butter.

And just like 'em pups - I like to use my palate (B&J Peanut Butter oh yes!)

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

Those are great, especially the first one. Everyone I know who struggles with the weight can't wrap their head around it.
    "Why would you eat a boiled/baked chicken breast? With no skin?! It should be deep fried!"

I don't like that first one. I'd much rather have a tasty grilled chicken breast with good seasoning and a fresh salsa than a pale, wobbly boiled abomination. Nutritionally they are pretty much equivalent, but on the mental side there is a world of difference. But to each their own, I know that some people have grown to view food as fuel, and they certainly have every right to do so. It's just that someone like me would rather kill myself than deprive myself the pleasure of good cuisine.
    Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog ;)

That's... stupid.
    No, seriously. That's dumb.
    There is absolutely no reason to go out of your way to eat the most flavorless bland food imaginable when you can have the exact same nutrition but good tasting.
    I can assure you, anyone trying to eat exclusively stuff they don't like just because of the warped thinking "it's good for you", is going to fail 1-2 weeks in, tops.

Yep. The real change in thinking is much deeper than eating for fuel vs. for good taste - certainly they can both peacefully co-exist; the goal is to be able to do both and not be focused on only the taste. (To be able to eat until satisfied and not use the good taste of said food as a crutch or to abuse it)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    a fitness body is the bi-product of living a fitness lifestyle and eating well...eat and train. you don't have to work out 7 days per week...fit people also understand the benefits of proper rest...but yeah, you need to do some sweating.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You don't have to spend your life in the gym. Fitness is about being active, and you can find activities you like. I'm older and started out simply walking, because I've always enjoyed it. Now I'm starting to run because it's something I've always wanted to do.

I also lift, but it's because I enjoy it. I do that 2-3 days a week.

The thing here is that I found things I liked. You might enjoy classes, you might enjoy team sports, you might enjoy swimming. Start small and build up. Try different things and find something that clicks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've done everything from 3-5 or 6. As long as I'm on a structured program, I haven't noticed a difference in results between 3 days or 6 days.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of FIT and how fit you want to be. 7 days a week is certainly not needed, but I like to get into a daily habit such that when life gives me a rest day, I just take it in stride.

As to the eating for nutrition, not for taste...that is absurd. Every bite of everything I put in my mouth is yummy. 95% of it is also very nutritious. Eating healthy does not in any way have to be bland or tasteless.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    if you eat anything other than broccoli and work out less than 4x a day there will be no progress...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you hate exercise, you WON'T stick with it.

I always THOUGHT i hated exercise, but then figured out I really DO LOVE IT

but, as others have said, you lose WEIGHT in the kitchen. fitness is gained in the gym. For your own health I would recommend doing some sort of pysical activity, but find something you ENJOY- whether its yoga or swimming or whatever. That way, youll stick with it.