Dairy -- Yes or No?

Options
2»

Replies

• theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well some dairy products such as full fat grass fed butter and milk kefir have tons of benefits however You would be surprised how many people are actually intollerant to dairy and dont know it same as gluten i was taking dairy for years soon as i stopped it then reintroduced acne tiredness and other symptoms never taken again since not had those problems .. it really is something you have to ignore what others may say as its mainstream beilf that gluten or dairy intolerances are some fads or o ly affect small amounts whatever the case try yourself eliminate dairy 30 days then reintroduce any bad symptoms then there your answer
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Some animals don't eat meat, does that mean I shouldn't?
    Some animals don't eat vegetation, does that mean that I shouldn't?
    Some animals other than humans do drink milk although they don't nurse so that statement is incorrect.

Unless a person has a particular problem with dairy, there is no reason to avoid it.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Dairy can cause inflammation and discomfort for people who don't produce as much lactase. As kshama linked, certain ethnic groups are more likely to be lactose intolerant. The trend of who tends to be lactose tolerant or intolerant seems to be tied to who relied on milk for nutrition though past generations. Northern European and North American groups that relied heavily on domestication of milk-producing animals tend to have lower rates of intolerance.

If you can eat it comfortably, you like it, and it fits in to your day, go for it. The humans being the only ones argument falls fairly flat when you consider that specific groups have developed the ability to continue to produce lactose specifically because it allows them to eat these nutritious foods. If you're one of them, there's nothing really holding you back.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    "dairy causes inflammation, bloating, etc." crowd.

As others have said, dairy causes issues in people who are lactose intolerant or otherwise have trouble processing it (e.g. milk allergies). Lactose intolerance is caused by the body down regulating the production of lactase (the enzyme which helps break down lactose in our gut) after a certain age.
    Some people (as you can see in the post above, it varies highly between ethnic groups) have a genetic mutation which means their lactase production is not down regulated as they grow up, or is only down regularted a little, which means they continue to be able to digest milk into adulthood.
    If you are one of these people, having dairy as an adult is not generally harmful (unless you have an allergy or similar).

Also, someone mentioned soured milk further up. A number of the ways in which dairy can be processed will reduce the lactose content, hence why lactose intolerant people generally tolerate products such as hard cheeses (e.g. parmesan) and traditionally produced sour milk products better than pure milk.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Beyond personal preference and allergy/intollerance I don't believe it dairy is unhealthy as part of a balance diet.

"humans are the only species that drink milk beyond infancy" is a ridiculous statement and could only be believed by someone who has not spent much time around animals.

Humans are also the only species that cook their food. Should we switch to eating only raw meat, etc?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I searched around for a bit to see if there was a similar thread and didn't find one so I apologize if I'm just opening up a can of worms here but....

Dairy -- obviously most sources say that milk, yogurt, etc. is healthy. But there's also the "humans are the only species that drink milk beyond infancy" stuff and also the "dairy causes inflammation, bloating, etc." crowd.

Personally I have dairy all the time and haven't really noticed any issues but I've also never tried cutting it out completely. What are some others opinions and experiences on this?

Most of us evolved to be able to digest dairy no problem. We're really good at that.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I like dairy.

That's all that matters.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Human are the only species that do lots of things. Build houses, talk on our phones, drive cars, etc. It's kind of ridiculous to think that we should do something or not do something only because the animals do/don't do it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have long standing stomach problems, and I tried cutting dairy for 4 months, as well as meat and eggs.

Unfortunately this diet change caused my stomach problems to take a turn for the worse.

I do have a degree of lactose intolerance, but I do well with lactaid milk, certain cheeses, and cottage cheese. My health is better with the dairy, than without.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Most of us evolved to be able to digest dairy no problem. We're really good at that.

Actually "most" of us didn't (see the table provided above).

I'm with all the "see what works for you" crowd. Personally milk is not good for my stomach at all so I avoid it. Since it's pretty easy to make my own almond milk and just use that it's an easy skip. Ice-cream probably isn't great either so I eat it only as a treat. Cheese however I have no problem with. Not a big fan of yoghurt so I've never really eaten enough to know if it agrees with me or not.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I love milk and all kinds of dairy (full fat too). I am with the, if you like it and your body can take it, use it
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I can tell you, that given the opportunity many species will drink milk beyond infancy. If you offer it to a cat or dog, they will eat it, same for a pig. And I've watched an adult guinea pig nurse off a lactating sow if she will let it. (It's actually something that breeders need to watch for because the pups need it.). They just don't have hands to milk.

Humans in many cultures have been drinking milk for more than thousands of years, I think our bodies have adapted.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Actually "most" of us didn't (see the table provided above).

I'm with all the "see what works for you" crowd. Personally milk is not good for my stomach at all so I avoid it. Since it's pretty easy to make my own almond milk and just use that it's an easy skip. Ice-cream probably isn't great either so I eat it only as a treat. Cheese however I have no problem with. Not a big fan of yoghurt so I've never really eaten enough to know if it agrees with me or not.

The ones that didn't were the ones that didn't drink any. Anywhere where they were doing it, the vast majority of people are tolerant.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I stop snoring when I cut back on dairy. The only dairy I eat now, is fermented. Yogurt, kefer, raw milk.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lactose intolerant :( I'll still eat if I don't have plans or not at work because I LOVE dairy. Since I haven't been eating it everyday I can definitely tell the difference in how my stomach feels. Hard cheeses don't bother me as much as milk or ice cream.