thinking of trying the nutra system for a month.anyone know if this is worth the money?

Options

Replies

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I know that Nutrisystem filed for bankruptcy years ago because because of "lack of ethics". They failed to warn people that if they lose weight too fast, they could have gal bladder issues. As a result, there were over 2,000 lawsuits and Nutrisystem was liable. I would personally not use a product from a company that purposefully withheld information about my health.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OP, you have so little weight to lose. Set a small deficit and eat at that. If you're pressed for time (congratulations on your new baby!) you can buy frozen entrees as suggested above or cook ahead on the weekends. You can keep plenty of convenience foods on hand (including cleaned & prepped vegetables and fresh fruit) to make up simple meals as you need them.

Save your money and lose weight gently.
  • drsbeautygmailcom890
    Options
    Very good suggestion. I think i'll try that for a while and see how it works before i try nutra system...thank u very much maam
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    OP...Have you tried just buying some frozen dinners? Lean Cuisine...Healthy Choice...etc...etc?

I no longer eat them but when there are some that taste fairly good and would be a lot cheaper than NutriSystem...Jenny Craig...or some of the others.

This!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have been on Nutrisystem since March and I have lost 50+ lbs. like everyone has said, you could do the same thing by yourself, but then again it helps me tremendously. Some people hate the food. I like it. My suggestion is to buy it from qvc. If you don't like it you can return it.
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had a very good experience with Nutrisystem. I also found their message boards very helpful and collected a lot of great recipes from members. Good luck either way!
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,612 Member
    Options
    In the last 20 years, I have been on Nutrisystem 3 different times. Each time I lost 15 to 25 lbs, but gained it back after. Yes it's easy because you don't have to plan and prep meals - but most of the food was not very tasty and some of it was so bad I ended up throwing it away. Some of the deserts were pretty good though. But I think the biggest problem with it was that it really doesn't teach you how to eat in the real world to control your weight. On MFP I can eat any food I want and or love as long as I can fit it into my cal count for the day. Really that is wonderful. So I think you have gotten good advice from people here. If you really hate to cook - just buy already prepped or frozen meals that are cal controlled. They will taste much better then Nutrisystem and be cheaper for you.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have some phrases I have run across that might ring true for you, like it did me:

"When you relinquish your evaluation process to another person or SYSTEM you begin to lose yourself. When you lose yourself, you are not able to be fully present in your life, and the world around you is robbed of your unique gift."

so in a nutshell, it means don't let others have that much control over you.

Here is another thought that is kind of thought provoking:

"Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place."

I have more...lol
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I have some phrases I have run across that might ring true for you, like it did me:

"When you relinquish your evaluation process to another person or SYSTEM you begin to lose yourself. When you lose yourself, you are not able to be fully present in your life, and the world around you is robbed of your unique gift."

so in a nutshell, it means don't let others have that much control over you.

Here is another thought that is kind of thought provoking:

"Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place."

I have more...lol

I like! Thanks!

• ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Around here, they sell small Nutrisystem kits in Wal-Marts. I think it is about a week's worth of food for around $50. If you are curious about whether it would work for you, that might be an option to consider if it is available where you live.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I had a friend who tried it, hated the food & offered the food to her dog, who sniffed it and walked away.

Why not just eat food that you enjoy in a calorie deficit?
    If you live in a large city there are private companies that do the same but with better quality food.
    If you live in a large city there are private companies that do the same but with better quality food.
    999tigger wrote: »
    I had a friend who tried it, hated the food & offered the food to her dog, who sniffed it and walked away.
    Lol

I want to hire someone who will pick the low calorie meals for me, im a very busy woman , don't have time to cook nor grocery shop, i always end up at fast food shops, so having a low calorie meal served to me and already cooked would be most helpful...

Just try it then , it seems it has the potential to be worth it for you. Not teaching you anuthing about food though and what will happen after you stop using them? What will stop you simply regaining the weight?

Well, if i lose it, (and i will) , i certainly will not gain it back. Iv been a small person all of my life until i recently had a bundle of joy☺. now iv got about 15 pounds to lose before im back to my weight before the baby. Im losing weight now, but its not moving as fast as id like it to. Guess i just need to be patient. But you guys have giving me a lot to think about towards this nutra system and i now have a lot to consider about it
    Its hard to get back on track after having a baby, i just need a little push and i got it from there.

I've had 2 babies. Gain 60 pounds in both pregnancies. The only push for me that actually worked is calories in calories out. I promise it's worth it to do MFP and not waste your money on anything else.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

999tigger wrote: »
    Lol

I want to hire someone who will pick the low calorie meals for me, im a very busy woman , don't have time to cook nor grocery shop, i always end up at fast food shops, so having a low calorie meal served to me and already cooked would be most helpful...

Just try it then , it seems it has the potential to be worth it for you. Not teaching you anuthing about food though and what will happen after you stop using them? What will stop you simply regaining the weight?

Well, if i lose it, (and i will) , i certainly will not gain it back. Iv been a small person all of my life until i recently had a bundle of joy☺. now iv got about 15 pounds to lose before im back to my weight before the baby. Im losing weight now, but its not moving as fast as id like it to. Guess i just need to be patient. But you guys have giving me a lot to think about towards this nutra system and i now have a lot to consider about it

You have about 12 or so pounds left to lose? It won't come off quickly because (1) you have little to lose and (2) you are already at a healthy weight.

Set your goals up in MFP to lose a half pound a week and eat the foods you enjoy, stay within your calorie goals, and you will lose weight. No need to use a rip-off like Nutrisystem.

Patience is a virtue too. ;)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    JeffBrown3 wrote: »
    What's the nutra system? I haven't heard of this..
    No doubt it's another 'quick fix', right?

No, its a food delivery service basically.

Ah right. I'm sure they can help weight loss if you are eating a deficit on them. I hate to sound like a broken record but it really doesn't matter what you are eating as long as you at that deficit. I'd save your money - it's not necessary :)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think for some people portion controlled meals is a great way to get started. I definitely recommend Lean Cuisine because they are cheap and taste good...I never go out to lunch, just a lean cuisine and an apple and it really saves me enough money every year to fly first class and helps me maintain.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Lol

You still have to shop for vegetables and make some of the meals with things like bread, fruits, etc.

Being too busy to care enough about your health will eventually slow your business down. Seen it lots and lots of times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mermaid3011
    mermaid3011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually compared Nutrisystem with Jenny Craig and must say that both are
    1. expensive
    2. poor quality/taste
    3. you can get the same results using Lean Cuisine or WW frozen meals
    4. you can lose quite a bit of weight with those systems BUT none of them prepare you for the rest of your life, i.e. maintenance. As long as you don't weigh and portion and cook your food you will (almost) always fall back into old behaviours.

My suggestion is to rather do the work, prepare your own meals (they don't have to be difficult or elaborate) and find a way of eating and living that works for you and for the rest of your life!

I personally use the fitbit to track my daily steps, follow an exercise and nutrition program with Pilates and Yoga, use a high quality protein shake once a day and feel like I can do this for the rest of my life. Including the occasional birthday cake or piece of pizza. Because life happens!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lol

Oh! You're a very busy woman. That changes everything. Then I would say that you have no choice but to do nutrisystem.

No one on this site is busy, so we can all do our own shopping, make our own meals and count our own calories. No one here has a job (or jobs), children and a family to take care of, no one here attends school.

I do apologize for the snark, but the "I'm so busy" excuse is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I remember what it was like after having my daughter. Taking care of her, holding down a job AND preparing meals. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

You can do nutrisystem if you want, but it's not necessary, and being busy isn't an excuse for not preparing your own meals.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Locally we have a couple of businesses that will meal prep and deliver to you high quality meals that you choose. A favorite is Farm To Fit. They have weekly menu options to fit any calorie goal, a diabetic diet, vegan, etc starting at $120 a week. Dinner's Ready is another. They clearly post their nutritional information for their monthly menus. You can also choose if you want 2 or 4 serving meals if you are feeding a spouse or children. Not as inexpensive as doing it yourself, but possibly you would have similar options in your area. Definitely 16 steps up from something like nutrisystem :)
  • BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    OP...Have you tried just buying some frozen dinners? Lean Cuisine...Healthy Choice...etc...etc?

I no longer eat them but when there are some that taste fairly good and would be a lot cheaper than NutriSystem...Jenny Craig...or some of the others.

I also think this is a good occasional choice and easy to prepare. They taste ok too. Just be sure to watch the sodium content.