"They" say

Options
about 10 pounds is a pant/dress size. Have you noticed that to be true? I assume factors play into this like water wight/fat loss/muscle loss? It took me about 15 to fit into my smaller jeans!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you store your fat too.

I went from very tight size 18s to 6s (great fit) and lost 80 pounds. That's 6 sizes... but my genetics make it so most of my fat stays in my hips, and I have loose skin on my stomach... most jeans are too loose on the butt/legs.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think it depends on where you store your fat too.

I went from very tight size 18s to 6s (great fit) and lost 80 pounds. That's 6 sizes... but my genetics make it so most of my fat stays in my hips, and I have loose skin on my stomach... most jeans are too loose on the butt/legs.

i carry like 80% of my weight on my thighs hips and butt. arms and stomach rarely change. I agree though its probably so different depending on the person. Asking because I think thats how my brain correlates weight loss/body changes. Oh I can't fit in these jeans anymore.. or YAY i can fit back into these jeans!
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also, depends on hight - 10 pounds are more noticeable on a short person.
    Personal experience, it took 14 pounds to lose a size, but I tend to lose weight on my top half first.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Well I've dropped about 7lbs since I started here, and I now have to use an extra belt notch, if that says anything.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing the same size (14 lbs. loss) but they're not tight. I'll take it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In general I think the 10 lbs is about right, but there will be differences between top & bottom and based on body type. It's so much fun to move down thru all those sizes as you lose weight!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    "They" would be generalizing, where they shouldn't be. Everyone is different.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Meh, it all depends. I've lost 85lbs which took me from a size 20 to a 12.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would think that there are too many factors involved to make ana curate rule for pounds lost to pants size.

But is getting to a specific size of clothes a good goal to have? You might have different body sizes or shapes.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I went from 210 to 180 (so far) I went from a loose 18 to a nice fitting 10.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lol i am 5'5"

I started at 220 and a size 16. I have lost 30lbs as of this morning, and wore a pair of 14s for the first time today. I have no freaking clue where my weight is hidden. But 30lbs for me was 1 size.
    However the smallest i ever was in my adult life was 154, and i wore a 6/8 so im teally hoping to be at 189 in the morning abd to actually start getting smaller.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've lost 52 lbs and have gone from a tight 18 to a tight 14 in pants so I'm going to have to disagree. I've lost three sizes in shirts though and a half size in shoes.

It just depends on the person.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    For me if I gain 5lbs my jeans wont fit, but im short, so at 5'1 and 108lbs, every pound either way makes a big difference
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have loss 18lbs and still wear the same clothes. i also just fit into a 16.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ^all my clothes are a size 18. the 20's are too big now.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It might be, my jeans no longer hurt. I refuse to buy bigger sized clothes, so i look rather silly. About 10 pounds lost since March and still wearing the jeans that are too tight for me. Perhaps by the end of the year they'll fit.
  • oldbod
    oldbod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went from 210 to 180 (so far) I went from a loose 18 to a nice fitting 10.
    Are American sizes different to UK? I'm 183 and a tight 18. Height 5ft 3ins.

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    UK sizes are 2 below US sizes, so a UK 10 is a US 14. We don't have odd numbered sizes either.

• oldbod
    oldbod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    UK sizes are 2 below US sizes, so a UK 10 is a US 14. We don't have odd numbered sizes either.
    Thank you, I just can't work out how a 180 person can fit into a size 10. I can only think TakingBackForever must be very well toned.

• sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    US sizes always make me do a double take, too (also on that note in the UK we now have a size 4, the equivalent to US size 0. As it's been a while since I went shopping I only just realised this. Aren't I fast? >.<).

Currently as of yesterday I weigh 153 ibs and am 5'6. I did some trouser shopping, and being that I have much of my weight on the lower half of my body that's always a pain. However it turns out I am a UK size 12 now (US...16 is it?), well assuming I'm not looking for skinny jeans apparently. If I can fit into size 10 things in 10 ibs time, that means I have about 2-3 months before I can fit into some of my old jeans! Looking forward to it.