How did you overcome the 'empty feeling' when you quit smoking?

Options
Sorry if I've put this in the wrong place.

I quit cold turkey for a year and a half (first attempt). I gained just over 30kgs (roughly 66lbs).
I had a constant emptiness the entire time. I tried to eat more veges, more protein, more raw foods but I could not be sated. I was eating 6 (what I consider) big meals and 2 snacks. E.g my SNACK was 2 chicken, bacon and salad sandwiches, a cup of soup, a tub of yoghurt, 2 whole fruit and nuts. That is what I normally consider to be a hearty lunch, but instead it was my snack. I'm so glad I wasn't logging back then phewww!

Now, as my fitness goals are changing, I am considering quitting smoking again.

As this will be my 2nd attempt, I want to be more prepared
What dietary changes did you make, that actually made you feel full?

Replies

• amarie210
    amarie210 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I added in more Vitamin C...I read it should help. I've also traded snacking for walking. If I really want to eat, I go for a walk. If I'm still hungry when I get home, I eat something.
    What are you using to quit?
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I haven't committed to quitting yet but I accept it will be a natural progression.
    I will be using willpower, determination and a lot of prayers lol.
    I also heard vitamin c, but I didn't take it only because I never got around to buying some.
  • bayridgeboy
    bayridgeboy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every time I want a cigarette I go for a walk. Even if it is a five minute stroll it keeps my mind off having a cigarette. It's also helped with losing weight so it's a win win. I have been smoke free for 6 months now.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Every time I want a cigarette I go for a walk. Even if it is a five minute stroll it keeps my mind off having a cigarette. It's also helped with losing weight so it's a win win. I have been smoke free for 6 months now.

Awww congrats! Keep it up :) Were you a heavy smoker to begin with? I am so scared of piling the weight back on, because I know food is gonna taste sooo much better.
  • crystallee85
    crystallee85 Posts: 50 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I quit cold turkey as well just over a year ago. I made sure I had gum and sugar free candy nearby at all times. You just have to trick your mind and pick up a different habit, bad as it sounds. (Eg:walking, chewing gum, drinking water, playing a game on your phone, etc) I still get cravings but they are becoming less and less. Good luck!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm prepared to quit soon. I know I'm probably going to gain weight when I stop (I quit for 9 years before), so I made a promise to myself that I will quit when I've lost 2 stone (28lb). If I'd quit at, say, 5lb loss I might have regained that and quit calorie counting due to being disheartened, but 2 stone is too far to want to go back.

I'm fluctuating at 18-20lb loss at the moment, but I've got a new vaper ready and I'm quite looking forward to being a non-smoker.

I believe that quitting smoking, like weight loss or increasing fitness, starts in the mind. I just needed to find the right tools to follow through on my thoughts. MFP did it for weight loss, and the vaper (I've used them for a long time, as back-up for when I run out of cigarettes!) will do it for smoking cessation.

Best of luck to you, whatever method you use.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was a definite must for me. I simply couldn't perform in the gym whilst I was still smoking, it hurt too much. Not performing in the gym stalled my weight loss so I had to ditch the cigarettes for progress sake. I just... stopped.

Saying that, there are times when I miss smoking. I LOVED smoking. I ENJOYED smoking. It was SOCIAL for me. I still pass people on the street who are smoking and inhale longingly (!) but quitting those cigarettes has been the best thing i've ever done, healthwise. Luckily, I've not had to deal with added cravings so all I can really say to you on that is - quitting smoking is hard. Stopping eating so much is hard. Combine the two and it's VERY HARD - but achievable.

You want a cigarette? Buy an E-Cig, dig deep and be strong. Your goals are more important.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I hadn't even considered e-cigs, so thanks for the suggestion. I assume vapour/vaper is the same thing?
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Yes it's the same thing. I'm not sure where you're located but if you Google "Totally Wicked" you can see a vast selection, plus they give good advice (even if you aren't using their products).
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Yes it's the same thing. I'm not sure where you're located but if you Google "Totally Wicked" you can see a vast selection, plus they give good advice (even if you aren't using their products).

Alrighty! On my way there now lol. Thanks
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Walkiing into jogging into running. Smoke free 10 years plus. Half as fast as I was in High School, (now 60) but can still do a 33 minute 5K.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    first time i quit cold turkey, i never gained a pound. i walked around the house with an orange slice between my lips and teeth, chewed on it when i got an urge to smoke or munch and a little over 3 days later, i literally craved nothing, not even cigarettes!! i was smoke free without urges for 5 1/2 yrs, than i stupidly picked it back up when my ex husband screwed up our marriage..for some reason i never tried the orange slices to quit again afterwards and i failed everytime too and ended up replacing my cigarettes with a vaporizer (not the cig look alike ecig type that don't work for most) and have been smoke free again since june 2012 but, i still vape 3mg of nicotine a day for it helps me stay focus i believe)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Ummm, is an e-cig or nicotine based gadget easier to give up?
  • CurlyCockney
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There is lots of misinformation and conflicting information so it's probably best to do your own research (bearing in mind that the tobacco industry has a very vested interest in demonizing vaping). From what I understand the nicotine is the addictive part but the rest of the rubbish in a cigarette is the harmful part. Vapers/e-cigs (and like @SylvieKuchma says, the e-cigs that look like cigarettes don't work for most) deliver the non-harmful nicotine - just like any other NRT such as patches.

The "juice", i.e the liquid that contains the nicotine, can be bought in various strengths including 0 strength. So if you wanted to wean off nicotine whilst still keeping the sensations and hand movements of smoking, you could.

I think it's about finding out what your particular need is. For me, although I'm clearly addicted to nicotine I also need the rituals - the 'marker' at the end of a meal, or during a phone call with a friend for example - and so I'm minimising the things I'll miss whilst still feeding that addiction. I don't know if I'll wean off nicotine completely, but that's not my goal so I'm not thinking about it now.

After my last post here yesterday I vaped all night, and didn't smoke any cigarettes. I've got one pack left but I don't think I'll buy any more when they're gone (but don't hold me to that, I'm still not at 2 stone yet LOL!)

Edited to add this recent news report, which is about Public Health England's findings http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33978603
  • Geedubbers
    Geedubbers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you really want to quit smoking cigarettes, start smoking Lobelia Inflata aka Indian tobacco. I tried to quit smoking cold turkey and was unsuccessful every time. I did some research and decided to give the lobelia a try. I haven't smoked a nicotine cigarette since then. The lobelia is harsh but it's all natural, unprocessed and triggers the same dopamine receptors as nicotine. I've told all of my fellow smokers about lobelia and they write it off as holistic nonsense but here I am two years later and still nicotine free and loving my lungs.
  • MrsSylvie
    Options
    Ummm, is an e-cig or nicotine based gadget easier to give up?

yes! i went from 24mg nicotine ejuice to 0 nicotine ejuice between june 8th thru july 15th. i only went back up to 3mg because i like the slight peppery nicotine taste in my ejuices plus i feel a low nicotine level helps me keep focus better (am 48yrs old, the brain does not work as good without it).. Not only is it easier to give up than cigarettes were (IMO), the various ejuice flavors actually helped curve my appetite too. when i had say a strawberry milkshake craving, i would make a low nicotine or zero nicotine strawberry milkshake ejuice and my craving went away with out gaining an ounce (you can buy or make your own ejuices, i prefer making my own after a few months)..
    I cannot say if vaping is good for you or not but, clearly my body has proving it is a better choice than smoking tobacco or using patches that made me sick and did not work. all the problems i had from smoking (out of breath just walking to parked car, not even being able to inhale deep enough to complete a yawn, etc.) has disappeared. i do choose to vape at a low wattage (7-8watts) and i feel it is safer than vaping at the crazy very high wattages (50-100w) that some are vaping at these days but, thats my opinion.
    There are loads of vaping things available nowadays, very few fail to quit smoking when they switch to vaping with a non cig like ecig. for a beginner i recommend an innokin MVP 3.0 or the current innokin mvp version. the battery in these vaporizers will last you days and allows you to switch the wattage up to 30 watts, more than enough for most I think. As for a topper to put on your vaporizer & put your ejuice in, i use a small chambered rebuildable atomizer, its what has worked for me for years but, today there are so many new things out that it would be best to research what the majority feel works best now, i don't keep up with the vaping world much these days but, last i read the replaceable coiled 'tanks' were very popular amongs those that did not preffer a dripper atomizer like me.. if you need more info. on what to get or where to buy/etc., visit the ECF forum, you are sure to learn everything you need to know there :)

• MrsSylvie
    Options
    There is lots of misinformation and conflicting information so it's probably best to do your own research (bearing in mind that the tobacco industry has a very vested interest in demonizing vaping). From what I understand the nicotine is the addictive part but the rest of the rubbish in a cigarette is the harmful part. Vapers/e-cigs (and like @SylvieKuchma says, the e-cigs that look like cigarettes don't work for most) deliver the non-harmful nicotine - just like any other NRT such as patches.

The "juice", i.e the liquid that contains the nicotine, can be bought in various strengths including 0 strength. So if you wanted to wean off nicotine whilst still keeping the sensations and hand movements of smoking, you could.

I think it's about finding out what your particular need is. For me, although I'm clearly addicted to nicotine I also need the rituals - the 'marker' at the end of a meal, or during a phone call with a friend for example - and so I'm minimising the things I'll miss whilst still feeding that addiction. I don't know if I'll wean off nicotine completely, but that's not my goal so I'm not thinking about it now.

After my last post here yesterday I vaped all night, and didn't smoke any cigarettes. I've got one pack left but I don't think I'll buy any more when they're gone (but don't hold me to that, I'm still not at 2 stone yet LOL!)

Edited to add this recent news report, which is about Public Health England's findings http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33978603

:), i kept a pack of kool 100's in my fridge for almost 6mths after I started vaping, for smoe reason knowing it was there made it easier not to want them. when i did not have one, all i kept thinking of was not having any darn cigarettes and it made me crave them even more so i went and bought a pack, smoke half of a cig and never touched them again..
    if you like tobacco ejuice, highly recommend "legends" from heathersheavenlyvapes, its the ejuice that made me fall out of love with my cigarettes.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @SylvieKuchma Thanks for that. I had absolutely no idea how big the world of smoking is lol
    @Geedubbers I shall keep an eye out for it and thanks for the suggestion
    @CurlyCockney thanks for the link.
    E-cigs don't seem to be overly popular where I live or perhaps I just haven't noticed...
    *edited because I posted a little hastily lol
  • november_rain
    november_rain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking, cold turkey, 55 days ago. I drink a ton of water - 4-5 24oz bottles a day (sometimes only 3). It hasn't helped me to lose weight, as I've actually gained 15 lbs since I quit, but it keeps me hydrated and keeps really helped me when I had a "craving". I think by being on here you're already ahead of the game to prevent weight gain during your quit. Best wishes to you on this journey.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey over 3 years ago. I still think about cigarettes every now and again, I don't think it ever fully leaves you. Like you posting this topic has triggered something.
    I bought sugar free lolly pops. My other half gave up at the same time he used nicoret lozenges.
    It's about finding what works.
    Also it's about what you want too, we were able to move from a 1 bedroom flat to a 2 bedroom house. The £200 a month we saved between us covers the extra rent.