Losing inches but not pounds

Options
I'm feeling frustrated. I had my youngest son last September. In January I started changing my diet, counting calories, skipping all the junk. The beginning of May I started crossfit. I've lost a total of 29" and 9lbs since January. I'm actually only 9lbs lighter then I was the morning I gave birth and my son weighed almost 11lbs.
My scale also shows body fat % and it really hasn't changed.
I'm currently 234lbs and 5'9" so I have a large amount of weight to lose.
I can see a difference but google says there's no way I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at equal rates.

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Gosh I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I have to agree with Google on this one. You're only losing about a pound a month so you are eating at a slight deficit but maybe not as much as you'd like. Make sure you're weighing all your food and logging everything. Also are you eating back all of your exercise calories?
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My first observation would be; if you're losing inches presumably you're happier with what you see in the mirror? So what the scales say becomes less important.

If you're weight training the loss of the scales will always be slower as you're building lean muscle, which is good.

It sounds as though the calories you're consuming are you're maintenance level, but I wouldn't know without more info.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open, so we can't see the logging you are doing. The usual problem at this stage is inaccurate weighing/measuring/logging, and therefore a higher caloric intake than believed.

You make no mention of exercise. If you are doing any, how are you recording that? The second issue many people coming here have is they think they are burning more calories than they really are.

If you open your diary, then people can give you more constructive feedback.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit of less than 500 calories you can still add muscle.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-dumbest-muscle-myths