Exercises that are low impact for knees ?

Options
Just wondering if anyone could suggest some exercises that are low impact for knees.
I use to swim - but no longer have the means to swim (no pool, can't get to the local gym due to transportation, and lake water = way too many bacteria warnings)

So, I am looking for some new ideas! :)
I have overdone it with my knees in the past, and I end up unable to bare any weight on my knee for days so I want to avoid that again! (I have ligament problems, locking knees, as well as very low cartridge amounts in my knees due to the locking knees)

Just want to be able to give it my all - while also respecting my body and not destroying it further :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling is my thing. Despite meniscus, ligament and patella injuries cycling doesn't aggravate my knees at all - on the contrary my knee stability and pain levels are vastly improved.
    Avoidance of impact is the biggest factor for me, I can only run 3 miles a week before getting a painful reaction but 100+ mile cycle rides cause no knee issues at all.
  • FindingMyself92
    FindingMyself92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    oh, alright! I have a bike - I just thought that would have been the same as my walking / stairs and such.
    So good to know, I will start incorporating cycling and see if they do become aggravated. Thanks so much!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, yoga, boxing, cycling, walking. There are loads of things to choose from, keep trying different ones to see which you like and see what suits your lifestyle well :)
  • FindingMyself92
    Options
    The walking aggrivates them - I do it as much as I can. So I was looking for some others :)

Stairs, squats / bending at the knees, or weight being on one leg fully is aggrivating and tends to make them worse.

I deffinitly think I will try cycling, and possibly look into lite yoga. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    An elliptical machine might be easier for them, as well. I always had trouble on the treadmill because it hurt my hip joints, but the elliptcal never bothered me at all.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Aqua fit, but I see you can't get to a pool. I bicycle; even with an arthritic knee, I don't have trouble pumping my legs. Also, I still do Zumba, but I don't jump - just go up on my toes when there's a jump and a low jog that's toe/heel.
  • FindingMyself92
    Options
    I was going to say Aqua fit, but I see you can't get to a pool. I bicycle; even with an arthritic knee, I don't have trouble pumping my legs. Also, I still do Zumba, but I don't jump - just go up on my toes when there's a jump and a low jog that's toe/heel.

Yes, I miss Aquafit! Deffinitly didn't think about the modified jumping and such - that's a great suggestion, thanks! I should figure out some modified moves to incorporate my favourite DVDS into my days!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok I'll get eviserated for this, but truth is, you're making excuses. You're 22 years old with a young, healthy body. You're not destroying your body by exercising. People destroy their bodies with drugs, alchohol, laziness ... etc. Stop freaking out about your knees. I worked out 2 and a half years while battling cancer. My cancer meds (which I need to be on for 5 years) make my joints ache, but I still run. Get off your excuse making butt, make an appt with your dr to find out what's wrong with your knees and find a damn way to exercise. The lake bacteria thing is the STUPIDEST excuse I have read here in a while. Just take a shower after swimming. I swim the lake all summer (as well as the ocean), and yes I have gotten a skin irritation (nothing more than what looks and feels like a few mosquito bites) if I didn't shower right away (rarely happens though), but who freaking cares?? I had great fun and exercise. BTW I am twice your age, and could run circles around you because I'm not whining, I am doing. Get it done girl.

STOP making excuses already or you will have more than knee problems.
  • FindingMyself92
    Options
    Ok I'll get eviserated for this, but truth is, you're making excuses. You're 22 years old with a young, healthy body. You're not destroying your body by exercising. People destroy their bodies with drugs, alchohol, laziness ... etc. Stop freaking out about your knees. I worked out 2 and a half years while battling cancer. My cancer meds (which I need to be on for 5 years) make my joints ache, but I still run. Get off your excuse making butt, make an appt with your dr to find out what's wrong with your knees and find a damn way to exercise. The lake bacteria thing is the STUPIDEST excuse I have read here in a while. Just take a shower after swimming. I swim the lake all summer (as well as the ocean), and yes I have gotten a skin irritation (nothing more than what looks and feels like a few mosquito bites) if I didn't shower right away (rarely happens though), but who freaking cares?? I had great fun and exercise. BTW I am twice your age, and could run circles around you because I'm not whining, I am doing. Get it done girl.

STOP making excuses already or you will have more than knee problems.

You my friend need to seriously learn some manners.

I KNOW what is wrong with my knees - and it's my doctor who has said I NEED to watch it or I will face knee replacement before I am 30. (So yeah that's not something I want to aim for!)

Just because you have an illness, makes you no better than me. That is pure ignorance to try to say that. Sorry about your luck - but glad you are doing what works FOR YOU.

The part about your meds making your joints ache.. mine don't ache. My bone rubs against the bone scraping away at it. There is a difference.

The lake bacteria - that's just disgusting. Please continue getting skin irritations and sick from the disgusting filth : I will keep my distance from the horrible sludge.

So basically, in my most polite way, get off your high horse, stop sitting here saying you are better than me because you exercised while you had cancer (because your not, in any way), and stop being a nasty human on the threads. If you are twice my age - you should have twice the practice at some common courtesy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to do this, because there is leg bending involved, but another possibility is rowing, either on a rowing machine or (more fun) in a rowing shell on the water (but this requires lessons and a rowing club). If bicycling doesn't cause a problem, rowing may not be a problem either, and it can be a vigorous, full-body workout.

I have a torn meniscus in one knee, so I have trouble with anything involving impact (walking/running, etc.) or twisting/torque on the joint (aerobics, zumba, etc.). But things with straight hinging motions of the knee, like cycling or rowing, work for me.

Another thing that might work would be kayaking or canoeing, if you have facilities available. These can be fairly vigorous, are very fun, and provide a workout.
  • FindingMyself92
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You may not be able to do this, because there is leg bending involved, but another possibility is rowing, either on a rowing machine or (more fun) in a rowing shell on the water (but this requires lessons and a rowing club). If bicycling doesn't cause a problem, rowing may not be a problem either, and it can be a vigorous, full-body workout.

I have a torn meniscus in one knee, so I have trouble with anything involving impact (walking/running, etc.) or twisting/torque on the joint (aerobics, zumba, etc.). But things with straight hinging motions of the knee, like cycling or rowing, work for me.

Another thing that might work would be kayaking or canoeing, if you have facilities available. These can be fairly vigorous, are very fun, and provide a workout.

I should try the rowing if I get the chance ! :) I feel that bending would be fine, I cant twist like you cant, or bend and put weight on the knees (squats, kneeling, that type of thing) as thats what causes the knee to 'lock' making me have to 'pop' (hit bone off bone);it back into a straight position. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems as well. As others have said, cycling is usually ok for me, and yoga as well but I have to be very careful with some poses. I also do resistance training, a combination of barbell, dumbbells, and body weight exercises. I just finished 2 months of physical therapy and am able to do squats if I go slow. But there are plenty of resistance exercises you can do if you can't do squats. I have tried the elliptical, but that bothers my knees. Sounds like you will just have to try some different things and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have messed up knees my knees grind on eachother as you say. But I found I only flare up when I do too much jumping plyo stuff. I have found walking and stairs to help build up my muscles decreased my flares and my knees locking up. I had to do stablity exercises for building up knee strength and having poor weak hip flexors added to that issue and weak hamstrings but since I started walking wuth the correct stability shoe for my feet has made a huge difference for knee abd hip pain and if I have pain its cause my shoes are wore out.:)