Scard to start liftng ... show me your before and afters!

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    This is 30-35 lbs lost, lifting in a deficit. I've been in maintenance over the summer but am back at it to shred a few more pounds so I can bulk. When I first started losing I did about an hour and a half of cardio per week. In maintenance I did none. And now-I basically do none but I would probably struggling a little less to lose if I could get some in.

e735r83ynas1.jpg

inl2di6tnpic.jpg
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    @arditarose you look great! I would love to see definition in my stomach area... ive never seen it there before but it certainly looks great on everyone else!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    MissMissle wrote: »
    @arditarose you look great! I would love to see definition in my stomach area... ive never seen it there before but it certainly looks great on everyone else!

I'm just starting to see a little. It looks better at certain times of month than others!
  • Ddonna82
    Ddonna82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I weight 340 pounds right now and I can't afford a gym membership. I have some ankle weights and 5 pounds weights!!!! What should I do, should I focus on more cardio now!!!* I do have a treadmill and the gazelle machine and a stationary bike!!!! Please help I am losing inches slowly, but I need better results!!!!!! Suggestions!!!!
  • Ddonna82
    Ddonna82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ddonna82 wrote: »
    Hey guys I weight 340 pounds right now and I can't afford a gym membership. I have some ankle weights and 5 pounds weights!!!! What should I do, should I focus on more cardio now!!!* I do have a treadmill and the gazelle machine and a stationary bike!!!! Please help I am losing inches slowly, but I need better results!!!!!! Suggestions!!!!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ddonna82 wrote: »

Focus on counting calories now. Incorporate work on the treadmill or bike slowly if you enjoy it. A good balanced exercise plan should include cardio and strength training. I've always considered them complementary. Throw the Gazelle in the trash or sell it, if you can rope in another sucker. Those things are basically useless. For strength training, I'd start with bodyweight exercises. It's amazing the kind of results you can get from a good bodyweight plan.

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes. Bodyweight exercises are great to start for strength.

You can find Mark Lauren's books at the library or on Amazon. "Body by You" and "You Are Your Own Gym" are the titles.
    Also, check out http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • lateeda84
    lateeda84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @MissMissle don't worry about anyone but yourself. Everyone in the weight room is focused on their goals/workout/form to really expend to energy "judging" others. Lifting if done incorrectly can result in significant injuries, hence my prior statement. I lift at a non gender specific gym and it's the best decision I made. I'm pretty competitive and when I see someone else in the weight room it makes me up my game for that workout. The best compliment I got was from a male powerlifter when I hit a 225# deadlift. He told me I should compete in powerlifting. Shortly after that I hurt my hip and have been sidelined but I'm back in the gym doing my thing again.

Cardio wise I don't really do a lot in the gym (5-10 minutes tops) but I have a dog that gets really squirrely if she doesn't get a walk, so I get a few miles in a day that way.

The best advice I can give you is to just get in there and do it. First focus on your form, bad form gets you no results and a greater chance for injury. You can find all sorts of videos on YouTube if a trainer isn't an option. Once you have form down and are making progress in your program add MORE protein and fiber to your diet, if you don't you will be hungry all the dang time and up the chance of binging because those levels are low. Lastly, don't compare your "Chapter 1" to someone else's "Chapter 20 (for example)." Trust the process and you'll get to your "Chapter 20" soon enough.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was scared myself for a long time but don't be scared, lifting is fun! As far as cardio, I rarely do cardio specific stuff but do crossfit workouts several times a week week which frequently include HIIT type cardio. I run maybe once a week or whenever the mood strikes.vy08c7ioud7t.jpg

Wow you look amazing!!! What is your diet like?
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    LadyKT wrote: »
    I was scared myself for a long time but don't be scared, lifting is fun! As far as cardio, I rarely do cardio specific stuff but do crossfit workouts several times a week week which frequently include HIIT type cardio. I run maybe once a week or whenever the mood strikes.vy08c7ioud7t.jpg

Wow you look amazing!!! What is your diet like?

Thank you! I eat around 2000 calories with a 35-35-30 (p-c-f) macro split. About 85% usually consists of meats, fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and full fat dairy, the other 15% consists of whatever I want (I eat icecream almost every day lately). I don't really eat any wheat products because I'm intolerant and it makes me feel like trash but I do on occasion.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Looked my worst in June 2013 (pic on left)
    Started lifting June 2014.

Lost 16 lbs since June 2013 that is all. But the inches

Right pic is September 4th 2015

Still belly to loose but it's a long and fun journey

teefuj7697oe.jpg
  • terrimaricle
    terrimaricle Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Incredible! What is your diet like?

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Thanks! I answered this on the last page, if you want more details feel free to shoot me a message :)
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Wow <3 you are goals! SO inspirational!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Feb 2015 picture is the exact day I started lifting. This is far from my heaviest adult weight, but it's where I started in terms of lifting.

h5u7vo911va8.jpg

And some more recent pictures of me:
    7wj7exr3t8eb.jpg

And a side by side of Feb to August:
    c4ivix9ru3ra.jpg
    In Feb, I did not own the bottom to this bikini. It was bought at a later date.

• jenbob1985
    jenbob1985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Before is March 2015 at about 140lbs (I'm 5'8"), after is just yesterday at 128lbs and having been eating at maintenance since June. Start lifting today, you won't regret it! It is scary at first but you gain confidence with time. I wish I had started earlier.

yrom5m78rtun.jpg
  • terrimaricle
    terrimaricle Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Thanks! I answered this on the last page, if you want more details feel free to shoot me a message :)

I saw that after I posted! :-)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!