Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
I'm considering incorporating meal replacement shakes into my daily diet (looking to replace lunch). I currently have classes throughout the middle part of my day and don't have time to really go anywhere for lunch. I have the option of buying ready to eat meals at the student center between classes, but the healthy options are expensive. I usually buy a cliff bar and eat an apple that I bring with me. I am usually still starving though.

Bottom line is, I need a lunch that is low in calories, high in nutrients. Something that is portable, fast, filling, and doesn't require refrigeration or reheating. Shakes are looking like a good option to me.

If you have tried it in the past or are currently trying it now, what has your experience with meal replacement shakes? Specifically, has anyone tried total lean or ideal shape shakes? Do they make you feel full? Are they satiasying? Are they low in sugar and other processes ingredients?

I work out twice a day and walk everywhere. I am trying to lose ten pounds. I enjoy eating healthy food and while I would rather have fresh food instead of a shake for lunch, this seems like a good alternative. Please do not post any comments bashing this idea. I understand the negativity benind meal replacements but I'm still collecting research. I've heard of this method working for some. Thoughts?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    They are inevitably full of "processed ingredients" :-

Other Ingredients: Carb Blend (Carrageenan, Fructooligosaccharides, Maltodextrin, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Oat Bran, Resistant Starch), Milk Protein Concentrate, Nonfat dry milk, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Creamer (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Sodium Caseinate, Monoglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Dipotassium Phosphate), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Biotin, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Chromium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ferric Orthophosphate, dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Cupric Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Dimagnesium Phosphate, Maltodextrin (glucose polymers), Potassium Iodide, Niacinamide, Calcium Carbonate, Cyanocobalamin), Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose

or

nutrition-panel-chocolate-shake.png
  • yarwell
    edited September 2015
    Options
    but some of that is inevitable to be a "meal replacement" as you need a load of micronutrients from somewhere. The total lean version has 5g of sugar which is just over 10% of the calories.

Personally I would eat nuts or seeds with cheese and dark chocolate. I have done shakes and yes it works and is a good way of controlling intake.
  • melodyfrederiksen
    Options
    Nuts are calorically dense, I am lactose intolerant.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    a lot of people (for various reasons ) like shakes.

me? I prefer to eat my food. ;)

LOL
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If your lactose intolerant then it reduces your choices. Soya based types might be good for you as that would give you complete protein.
    Maybe have a look at a few protein websites for vegan protein shakes. Hemp, pea, there are a few that aren't dairy based.
  • yarwell
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nuts are calorically dense, I am lactose intolerant.

So are shake mixes. I take an ounce of nuts in a container. You'll have to look hard at shakes if you're lactose intolerant, while there's virtually none in hard cheese I can see dried milk powder in the Total Lean shake above.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've never had a shake that makes me feel full. I would get either a thermos for soup or a small refrigerated lunch bag. I have a bag that folds down and freezes. It easily fits a smoothie in a mason jar, small containers of leftovers/salads, hard boiled eggs, fruit etc.
  • jess_howes
    jess_howes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would definitely not recommend having a shake as a meal replacement - you're best having a meal that has all the nutrients in that you want. Perhaps like a green soup, spirulina soup from Holland and Barrett is pretty good! Or perhaps pre prepare your lunch? That's what I do - and I have chicken with Mediterranean vegetables a lot, as this is my favourite ☺️
  • sgeh13
    sgeh13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking a meal replacement shake a week ago, and I am finding it a good alternative to the bad food choices I may otherwise make. I'm using Priemere Protein (I got it from Costco), it has 30 grams of protein per shake and only 160 calories and 1 gram of sugar, and I think it tastes good (I've had some terrible ones, this doesn't taste like chemicals!). It keeps me full for about 3 or 4 hours. I know that shakes aren't necessarily ideal but it keeps me from making bad food decisions throughout the day when I might normally grab fast food or an unhealthy snack because I'm constantly on the go as well. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Unless it is a way of eating that you can see continuing after your weight loss, I wouldn't bother. That being said, many of my breakfasts are coffee with whipped cream or coconut cream, and a protein powder. I like that and have been drinking a variation for of it for years.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    just had a gnc lean shake burn shake with 1/2 avacado and water. I like to use this as a meal replacement. It is loaded with the protein and fats and fiber I need and it keeps me full for a long time. I also drink plenty of water after. I use this a couple times a week. I now won't eat untill my late afternoon barbecue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sgeh13 wrote: »
    I just started drinking a meal replacement shake a week ago, and I am finding it a good alternative to the bad food choices I may otherwise make. I'm using Priemere Protein (I got it from Costco), it has 30 grams of protein per shake and only 160 calories and 1 gram of sugar, and I think it tastes good (I've had some terrible ones, this doesn't taste like chemicals!). It keeps me full for about 3 or 4 hours. I know that shakes aren't necessarily ideal but it keeps me from making bad food decisions throughout the day when I might normally grab fast food or an unhealthy snack because I'm constantly on the go as well. Good luck!

that looks to me like a protein supplement, not a meal replacement...there's a difference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I've done meal replacement shakes made from healthy ingredients but they tasted bad, were expensive, and had insufficient fat to be filling. Why not bring a sandwich in a small cooler?
  • skinnyontheinside27
    Options
    Why can't people just keep comments to themselves? I like vega nutritional shakes. They are vegan, gluten free, sugar free and taste OK. Make sure you get the nutritional shake versus proteins and greens though because that is only meNr to be added to smoothies and isn't complete meal replacement.
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OP, I use Premier Protein, too. One at breakfast keeps me satisfied for 4 hours.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Imo, I would get a protein powder . I would go to your local vitamin shop or GNC and ask the clerk for the small sample packs of protein powder. You can tell him your lactose intolerant and that you would like to find a protein shake mix that suites your needs. I find that a protein shake will keep me full for a while and its fast and easy when there's just no time for a meal. You can still bring your apple or cliff bars with you and carry your shaker bottle with water inside so all you would need to do is mix in the protein packet . these stores usually have the small sample packs and then after you find the one which you like, you can purchase a large jar.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    sgeh13 wrote: »

I drink these too and agree with all of the above .
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I like Bariatric Fusion. The flavors are great and the nutrition profiles are good too. You'll need to check for allergens, but it's at Bariatric Fusion Protein.

The Cinnamon Bun flavor almost brought this Pagan soul to Jesus. It's that good and it's even better with a dash of pumpkin pie spice in it.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a green Thickie? It's like a smoothie but has fillers like oats to make it more substantial so it keeps you fuller for longer. There is a website that you can Google which explains it all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I like Bariatric Fusion. The flavors are great and the nutrition profiles are good too. You'll need to check for allergens, but it's at Bariatric Fusion Protein.

The Cinnamon Bun flavor almost brought this Pagan soul to Jesus. It's that good and it's even better with a dash of pumpkin pie spice in it.

:D LOL I'll have to keep my eye out for it!