For those that eat what they want

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exactly what I want, actually. But I love everything and look forward to everything I eat. I have found new, lower calorie things, that fit my day better. Do I still eat pizza and ice cream once in awhile? Yes. Every day? Nah. 4 slices? Nope.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    TexasJade wrote: »
    I like all the food I eat but is it too much to ask to have something I reeeallly want most days?

I eat whatever I want, so long as it fits into my calories and protein for the day.

I have ice cream and Gelato everyday. But yeah, I am one of those who are ok with eating 15 grams of Gelato or 25 g of cheesecake and be done for the day
  • TexasJade
    TexasJade Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    [

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you get a food scale (weigh everything—including packaged foods) and follow these directions, you'll be eating TDEE minus an appropriate deficit for your size.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Thank you. I understand about TDEE. I just don't think I will or want to keep up with the food scale for long term and I am trying not to start any habits that I am not willing to keep up. I have not had issue with losing in the past or keeping it off but gaining during pregnancy and postpartum have been an issue this time with a sick baby. I did get pretty good at learning appropriate portions last time but my downfall this most recent post partum was surviving on soda and sweet tea and too many fried pies. I have that back under control.

• TexasJade
    Options
    I cook meals at home that are nutritious and low calorie (veggie soups, stir fry) in order to make room for snacks. I love cake and I've been eating a decently sized piece every day. I'm still losing weight!

I find that simply knowing the caloric values of foods make eating at a deficit much easier.... Seriously dodged a bullet! It really pays to know how much you're eating, or to check if you're not sure!

I know what you mean. I will probably never have banana nut loaf from Starbucks again and it is seriously good bread but knowing what it would cost me, not worth it. Maybe in maintenance but it would be like a whole lunch or dinner for me now.

• 89GermanG
    89GermanG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat what I want bc if not, I'm craving all day and end up snacking alot. The most of the time I eat what I want for lunch that way I don't eat to many carbs for dinner. Believe it or not, I eat pizza, wings, burgers but within my calorie goal. I love buffalo wild wings and what I do is I order a kids meal with 4 wings. It will stop the craving and I'm within my calorie goal. Just be careful with your portions and you can eat everything you like.
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think I'm doing what you have in mind: I eat what I feel like. I've been logging what I eat but pretty much guessing at the quantities (not weighing anything) and it's been working well enough so far. I don't have much weight to lose so it's more important to me to support new exercise habits than monitor exactly what the scale is doing.

I've never counted calories at all before so seeing how many are in things like bread and pasta was eye-opening and it's helped me make different choices about what to eat without ever feeling like I'm suffering. (And I still eat a good amount of chocolate).
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add some thoughts to what I said earlier.

In the past, I used to diet by completely eliminating foods. One of the things that used to derail me was that way I'd make absolute rules for myself. I'm never having waffles again!

Cue Carol caving and buying what she needed to make gluten free waffles. And then make them and eat them to excess because OMGI'MNEVERDOINGTHISAGAINTHEY"REBAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now? Well, just today, I had a passing taste for waffles and I'm in a different mindset. I'd have them if I wanted them badly enough. The thing is that just knowing that I'd allow myself to have them? It was easier to say ... nah, I'd rather spend the calories on something else. On a different day, I might make a different decision.

You could sub out the word "waffles" with pizza or burritos or anything else like that. My thought process with past dieting attempts was the same. I feel that my thinking around food is much more rational this time around. I work with all the foods I like and my overall eating plan in a way I hope will be sustainable for life. Yes, even that double gluten-free brownie with ice cream, hot fudge, and caramel they serve at the Silver Diner. I'll eat it again some day!

Just in to say the idea of no pizza ever again makes me very very sad! lol! I live close to NYC so pizza is a staple of my diet. Every Friday after weigh in is pizza day
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I just don't think I will or want to keep up with the food scale for long term and I am trying not to start any habits that I am not willing to keep up. I have not had issue with losing in the past or keeping it off but gaining during pregnancy and postpartum have been an issue this time with a sick baby.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. And the best way to know how much you're eating is to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly.

You don't have to weigh your food for the rest of your life—just long enough to get your portions under control. Then take the scale back out every time you plateau—to check for "portion drift."
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I only eat what I like. That's what I want. I don't like yogurt, olives, white sauces, Mcdonalds, pork, Quest bars. I like potato chips, cottage cheese, fish, bagels, Kind bars, ice cream.

I lost over 30 lb and am in maintenance for over 2 years. I log my food on days that are normally active and not on days when I am doing a long bike ride, taking a Zumba training, at a fitness conference or out of town.

I periodically weigh my food to reinforce I know how much 4 ounces is or how big my corn muffin is. I wear an HRM periodically to establish a base line for new activities.

It's all about priorities and loving the life you live.
  • TexasJade
    Options

You don't have to weigh your food for the rest of your life—just long enough to get your portions under control. Then take the scale back out every time you plateau—to check for "portion drift."

I get it. Food portions is typically not my issue. Coke and sweet tea and occasional very high calorie treats like fried pie were. I have had to nurse two extremely allergic babies back to back and was food restricted, so made up for it by drinking a lot of soda and sweet tea, which is something I have not done in the past. I normally would rarely have either. I stopped nursing early though to get myself back under control because it was hard to make good choices for myself with so many restrictions. Which is another reason I am trying to include appropriate sized treats into my diet now. I prefer to use cups and spoons and eyes because that is what I will do long term. I don't expect or want it to be perfect every time. This is just what works best for me and feels the most sustainable. I have lost 45 pounds after two babies doing it this way and hope to lose about the same this time that way.
  • TexasJade
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Also, the last time I was on MFP, I rarely ever saw a post with someone talking about a food scale. I know it works fantastic for those who use it but I don't think it is necessary for those who choose to learn what appropriate portions are and have a good understanding of what is in their food. I eat very simply most of the time. I am not one for casseroles. I choose not to weigh my egg or banana, etc. I do think it could be a good tool to use to learn portion sizes but I have been able to do that without it.

I also decided to get a fitbit this time. I am not very active so knowing what I am burning is important for me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    For me, it looks like a lot of lean meat, not as much mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. on the side. Also, more reasonable portions of cobbler, ice cream, etc.

So, today, lots of brisket, not so much baked beans, mac & cheese, potato salad. Decent, but not outrageous, amounts of peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream.
  • TexasJade
    edited September 2015
    Options
    For me, it looks like a lot of lean meat, not as much mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. on the side. Also, more reasonable portions of cobbler, ice cream, etc.

So, today, lots of brisket, not so much baked beans, mac & cheese, potato salad. Decent, but not outrageous, amounts of peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream.

I love those foods but if I had them all in one day, it would be hard for me not to go over my cals. What is your daily goal? I did recently learn that our local BBQ shop will cut the brisket lean.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I get it. Food portions is typically not my issue. Coke and sweet tea and occasional very high calorie treats like fried pie were. I have had to nurse two extremely allergic babies back to back and was food restricted, so made up for it by drinking a lot of soda and sweet tea, which is something I have not done in the past. I normally would rarely have either. I stopped nursing early though to get myself back under control because it was hard to make good choices for myself with so many restrictions. Which is another reason I am trying to include appropriate sized treats into my diet now. I prefer to use cups and spoons and eyes because that is what I will do long term. I don't expect or want it to be perfect every time. This is just what works best for me and feels the most sustainable. I have lost 45 pounds after two babies doing it this way and hope to lose about the same this time that way.
    The bold part- that is what's important.

It's never about how you get the calorie deficit, it's simply about somehow getting there. :)

I use the food scale as part of my long term weight management program.

• tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    My diary is open. So if you look at it you'll notice I pretty much do 1200-1300 calories during my work week and that allows me to have pizza or go out to dinner with the family on the weekend. Now of course I can't eat the whole pizza but as your stomach shrinks you'll notice you won't need to. I don't believe that a highly restrictive diet is sustainable. Yeah you're gonna have to limit your portion sizes of some of those high calorie items but it doesn't mean you can't have them. Learning moderation now is very important and will help us maintain the weightloss once we reach our goal.

I do the same thing as Bshmerlie. I set my fitness pal to 2 pounds a week so it allows me 1,200 calories a day. I have no intention of loosing 2 pounds a week, I do it so I can go out to eat on Saturday's and have whatever I want and still lose weight that week. I really look forward to Saturdays :smile:
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I love those foods but if I had them all in one day, it would be hard for me not to go over my cals. What is your daily goal? I did recently learn that our local BBQ shop will cut the brisket lean.
    I'm sure my calorie goal is way higher than yours, but that just means you eat smaller portions or leave out a side or two and get some the next time.

I ate at 1700 for a while and 1600 for one ill-fated week. I'm not a small person, so that was probably relatively comparable to someone smaller with a lower calorie goal.

• TexasJade
    edited September 2015
    Options
    [[/quote]I'm sure my calorie goal is way higher than yours, but that just means you eat smaller portions or leave out a side or two and get some the next time.

I ate at 1700 for a while and 1600 for one ill-fated week. I'm not a small person, so that was probably relatively comparable to someone smaller with a lower calorie goal.

[/quote]

Nah, not much less...I am at 1570, for one pound a week. I did 1610 for a while but then realized, after going to the doctor, I am an inch shorter than I have thought all of my adult life.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Well, that was while I was losing weight. It's about 3700 now.
  • TexasJade
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tiffkittyw-

I am wondering if I should try banking some calories for the weekend. I don't usually carry cals over to the next day. So if you are set at 1200, can you change it for the weekend? Or do you pay it no mind for the weekend and just have another goal in mind?
  • TexasJade
    Options
    Well, that was while I was losing weight. It's about 3700 now.

Oh the possibilities ☺