6 Servings of fruits a day.. Muscle building or fat gain

Options
Shouliveshappy
Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi I'm bulking and I have fruits for every meal...
Breakfast: 1 apple or orange
Lunch: 1 apple
Pre workout: 1 banana
Dinner: 3 different types of fruits

Are these okay for bulking? Heard all the myths about fructose being not good for muscle building and all these calorie surplus are likely to turn to fats... Truth?

My other meals are Balanced ... Morning I have oats, lunch I have rice with fish or chicken , dinner either rice or sweet potatoes and protein sources. I snack on almonds, cottage cheese, yoghurt cereal and milk

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lol research? not even once
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    lol research? not even once

it is a well known fact that if you eat fruit = killz all ur gainz

lol of course not OP...
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    But there's this 'theory' on how fructose are being digested which will then be stored as fats when one is consuming a calories surplus. I just don't want to work hard in the gym and when nutrition which is 80% of the hard work goes off track.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    If you are worried, replace some of the fruit with veg.
    Personally, you are running a bulk, so long as your macros your are on track for your goals, I wouldn't worry about the fruit, enjoy it.

Cheers, h.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've seen any substantial research with consumption of fruit that high.

It'll probably bulk up your liver.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No - they are not myths. ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    No - they are not myths. ;)

Well...I'm convinced.

Or...maybe you could provide some evidence?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A calorie surplus will turn into fat whether it is the fruit, oatmeal or rice that takes you over.
    yarwell wrote: »
    Can't say I've seen any substantial research with consumption of fruit that high.

It'll probably bulk up your liver.

Huh. I did not know that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm not a weight person so feel free to correct me, but to build muscle isn't standard protocol more protein?

or is there more protein in fruit than I'm thinking there is? (I don't track macros so I don't know...)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It must be a body building thing... When I told the owner of my supplement store (competitive body builder) how much fruit I eat he just shook his head... I didn't hang around to hear his explanation tho.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not a weight person so feel free to correct me, but to build muscle isn't standard protocol more protein?

or is there more protein in fruit than I'm thinking there is? (I don't track macros so I don't know...)

Not necessarily. Protein requirements would be higher on a cut than on a bulk. On a bulk protein can pretty much stay the same as on a cut or even reduced a little but it's carbs that are increased. Fruit during a bulk is fine. As far as the sugars in frutis go, fructose will be metabolized in the liver and stored there. Your liver and organs will pull from there for energy. The other sugars will metabolize the same as the rest and be used accordingly.

To explain this a bit more, the studies about protein basically show not benefit to more protein after 1 g per lb of LBM (possibly even less, but I'll be generous here). That's not going to change whether you are on a bulk or a cut, so on a bulk you'd assume your % protein would decrease. Many like to use extra carbs during this time to fuel the added workouts, so if your protein and fat are adequate I see no harm to more fruit, although some would say that starches (and often quick carb starches) are beneficial for replenishing glycogen/fueling when working out. (I generally think don't overthink it for most.)
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I feel like your diet plan is good, all you need is enough energy or calories intake and burn a lot in the gym.
    You can also take body building supplements, like protein pills for proper protein intake would be beneficial for you.