all Fruit diet for weight loss

Does an all fruit diet work for weight loss?
I am 5"3 and 77 kgs need to lose 10 kgs in 4 months . Was wondering if this diet would work for me

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    That sounds ridiculous and like you'll spend a lot of time in the bathroom. And lacking in protein and fats which are essential for your body.

Just eat at a calorie deficit.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    No. Bad idea. You would be dangerously low on fat, protein, and other nutrients. Eat what you want to eat but fit it into your calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Ambereen18 wrote: »
    Does an all fruit diet work for weight loss?
    I am 5"3 and 77 kgs need to lose 10 kgs in 4 months . Was wondering if this diet would work for me

Gosh no, please don't do that. You will have horrible diarrhea, and you would be going to the extreme in carbs. You need protein and fat in your diet as well. When you go to extremes of any macro, it can backfire on your pretty quickly.

Eat all the foods you love in moderation while eating less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I imagine it would work if you had a calorie deficit, like any other diet.

It would not be healthy. Eat protein, vegetables, and fat.
  • You're gonna eat SPECIFICALLY fruit for the rest of your life ?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    No not a good idea. You would be seriously deficient in your macros.

You can still eat too much on an all fruit diet and gain weight. Fruit isn't calorie free.
    Stick to the calories MFP has given you, and you can pretty much eat whatever you want, just not how much you want.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Education is the method for best weight loss .
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Is there much in the way of protein from fruit? Means muscle loss right?

All fruit diet sounds like a bad idea. All anything diets sounds like a bad idea.

Variety and a calorie deficit sounds best
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Hmmm.... no protein and fat? You'll be hungry a lot, exhausted from lack of nutrients, and will be spending a lot of time on the toilet. Sounds like a horrible plan. Nope nope nope.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    edited September 2015
    That's a terrible, horrible, not good, very bad plan. You need protein and fats for a healthy body. As other have said, you would be living in the toilet, not to mention the mind-numbing boredom of eating all fruit for weeks on end.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2015
    Add four chicken thighs with skin (28 gram of protein each) so that you have enough protein and fat.
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Why 4 months? You can't undo a lifetime of bad habits in 4 months.

You need to focus on your health first and foremost which means eating a good mixture of protein, fats and carbs + a good amount of fruits and veggies. Couple this with a slight calorie deficit and the weight will start to come off.

Just take it slow, too much of a deficit and weight loss will soon plateau with no room to increase the deficit without sacrificing your health
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    It will work if you eat 1200 cals or less of it.

Won't be good for you though.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    If you eat in a calorie deficit then of course it works.

It's not healthy and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

With the lack of protein you will probably end up losing weight quicker than on a balanced diet, on account of the fact you will be losing at larger proportion of lean mass (Muscle, organs, connective tissue, sinew etc).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Fatty liver - mmmm.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    This sounds crazy! Who suggested this to you?

You can eat anything you like! If you are eating at a deficit, you'll lose weight. You don't need to try these extreme and strange methods.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    What's happening in four months, and why is it so important for you to be thin for it that you'd jeopardize your health by going on a ridiculous, dangerous diet?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    That's an asinine idea. Why wouldn't you just eat whatever you like, but less. Cico. Eat less, lose weight . no need to just consume fruits. Eat the normal foods you like, but within your calorie goal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Although to me this would be a diet sent from heaven, it's not very wallet friendly and your protein intake may suffer. You don't really need to restrict other food items. It's all about calories in the end and eating the same amount of calories of any food will get you the same results as an all fruit diet.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    No. Fruit is sugar. Doesn't make nutritional sense and it certainly won't help.