Why am I gaining and not loosing weight?

Options
so far there's been a couple of days that I went over my daily limit most days I'm under my limit and it's been at least 21/2 weeks and so far I gain 4+ lbs i think it suppose to be the opposite...

Replies

• MrChristopho
    MrChristopho Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're doing. Are you working out as well, or is it just your diet that you're keeping an eye on?
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Diary isn't open. Can't ask a question like that without opening it :)

More than likely you are eating more than you are burning.
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining wait you're eating too much.

Work out your BMR and TDEE then put yourself into a 10-15% calorie deficit.

Above all, make each calorie you consume as nutritious as possible. There's no point in losing weight if you feel rubbish
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    so far there's been a couple of days that I went over my daily limit most days I'm under my limit and it's been at least 21/2 weeks and so far I gain 4+ lbs i think it suppose to be the opposite...

Looks like your body is telling you that "your limit" is lower than your brain thinks it is.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I see this same type of post constantly on the boards. "How come I'm not losing weight?" and the poster will go on to say that they've spent a few days eating over their limit, they don't weigh their food, they use MFP's exercise burn estimates and eat all of their exercise calories back, etc. It should be obvious to you why you're not losing weight.

To lose weight, one needs to eat at a calorie deficit. To lose one pound per week, one needs a deficit of ~3,500 calories in a week, which is a deficit of 500 calories per day. If you have a deficit of 2,000 for the week, but then go over your daily limit by 650 calories twice in a week, your deficit is now 700 calories which is two-tenths of a pound. So for that week you will not see a pound loss and if your scale isn't digital, you won't really see a change at all. Like others have said, you need to give us more information and/or make your diary public. If you do not weigh everything you eat using a food scale, the odds are that you're grossly underestimating what you eat. No, measuring cups are not accurate enough. If you are using MFP's exercise burns, that's also an issue; you should only eat back a maximum of 75% of the calories you earn back from exercise via MFP.

I'm guessing it's a combo of this seeing as you've apparently gained at least four pounds in two and a half weeks unless some of that is water weight from a new exercise routine.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The real question is - WHAT are you gaining? Muscle or Fat? ;)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

If the OP is eating at a calorie deficit, he's not gaining muscle. So if he is in fact going to the gym/follows a workout routine and has made muscle gains, he is eating at a surplus or possibly maintenance. Also, four pounds of muscle gain in two and a half weeks is not at all likely to occur.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

If the OP is eating at a calorie deficit, he's not gaining muscle. So if he is in fact going to the gym/follows a workout routine and has made muscle gains, he is eating at a surplus or possibly maintenance. Also, four pounds of muscle gain in two and a half weeks is not at all likely to occur.

This^^^

• jeffpettis
    Options

The OP is not going to be gaining 4 lbs of muscle in 2 1/2 weeks. Not on a bulk and especially not in a caloric deficit.

...and this^^^

• jeffpettis
    Options
    There's a lot of different reasons you could be gaining, but the simple fact is if you are gaining weight you are eating more calories than your body needs.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    And if you are doing what you are saying, it's time to talk to a doctor to look for medical issues.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I see this same type of post constantly on the boards. "How come I'm not losing weight?" and the poster will go on to say that they've spent a few days eating over their limit, they don't weigh their food, they use MFP's exercise burn estimates and eat all of their exercise calories back, etc. It should be obvious to you why you're not losing weight.

To lose weight, one needs to eat at a calorie deficit. To lose one pound per week, one needs a deficit of ~3,500 calories in a week, which is a deficit of 500 calories per day. If you have a deficit of 2,000 for the week, but then go over your daily limit by 650 calories twice in a week, your deficit is now 700 calories which is two-tenths of a pound. So for that week you will not see a pound loss and if your scale isn't digital, you won't really see a change at all. Like others have said, you need to give us more information and/or make your diary public. If you do not weigh everything you eat using a food scale, the odds are that you're grossly underestimating what you eat. No, measuring cups are not accurate enough. If you are using MFP's exercise burns, that's also an issue; you should only eat back a maximum of 75% of the calories you earn back from exercise via MFP.

I'm guessing it's a combo of this seeing as you've apparently gained at least four pounds in two and a half weeks unless some of that is water weight from a new exercise routine.
    Oh how do they not know this already!!!! This times 1000000 bazillion!!!!
  • panchito001
    panchito001 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you say all this I didn't put into consideration all of that!
  • panchito001
    Options
    It all depends on what you're doing. Are you working out as well, or is it just your diet that you're keeping an eye on?

I'm not actually going to the gym but I have increase my activity level by 100% since then
  • panchito001
    Options
    What's your TDEE and how many calories are you eating?
    Are you new to training?
    How accurate are you every day when you log?

TDEE? I'm believe I'm very acurate on my daily log
  • panchito001
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    Diary isn't open. Can't ask a question like that without opening it :)

More than likely you are eating more than you are burning.

I'm gonna have to compare that and see where I'm am any suggestion on what apps I can use to keep track?
  • panchito001
    Options

Wow! Good point I will have to look into that!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is really good for tracking exercise calories, but there are lots of apps out there.

Make sure you weigh accurately - use a digital scale, weigh in grams, only use measuring cups & spoons for liquids not solids (especially not peanut butter....), measure liquids in mls not "cups" or "ounces".
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options