1200 or 1500 cals better?

Options
hi there, not sure whether to go with 1200 or 1500 cals. If i put in i want to lose a 1kg (2.2lbs) a week it gives me 1200 cals. Not sure if that is enough and i don't want to fail due to not enough food. Any advice

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day does it say if you change it to 0.5 kg?

1200 would make me nuts if that's all I ate every day. That said, many people here do well on that amount, especially when they "earn" more calories to eat via exercise.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Why not go in the middle? You will still be losing weight, just slower. If those extra calories each day helps you "stay on track" long term - the slower rate will win.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I started off at 157lbs. I 'put myself' on a 1200 calorie diet and I *did* lose 20lbs. After around 4 months doing this 1200 plan, I noticed my nails were breaking and my skin was breaking out. I was also incredibly miserable and hungry literally all the time. I just couldn't manage it anymore. I had a big appetite as it was so this 1200, whilst worked magnificently, just wasn't realistic for me.

I entered my details and activity levels into around 7 different online TDEE calculators (There are MANY!) and worked out my average TDEE based on the results I got. Total TDEE - 1985. I aim now to lose 0.5lb a week so have been eating at 1500 calories and I am still steadily losing around half to 1 pound a week and feeling MUCH, MUCH better than 1200. I can actually live my life now..

I hope this helps somewhat and I hope all the TDEE (Daily expenditure) rambling didn't confuse things too much!
  • julestar777
    julestar777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am 5'11 and weigh 220lbs so I think around 1500 would be better. Thanks for your advice. I was just talking to someone else and they said you can bank calories if you run at a deficit, e.g w exercise or eating less how does this work?
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    I 'bank' calories for Saturday because that is the day I crave the most foods! :)

This is how I do it:

Monday: Logged 1400 calories
    Tuesday: Logged 1400
    Wednesday: Logged 1500 Calories
    Thursday: Logged 1500 Calories
    Friday: Logged 1300 Calories

(I just want to point out, I don't do this on purpose. I try get in 1500 but there are some days when I don't).

This gives me 400 calories spare to use on Saturday :) So on Saturday my total would be 1900!

• julestar777
    julestar777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do you do this manually or is there a feature on this site that does it for you?
  • kim2004mc
    kim2004mc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to listen to your body. I noticed if I eat too little it's hard to get through workouts and I feel weaker.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    20 percent deficit is usually the recommended "safe" amount to prevent/minimize metabolism damage.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    hi there, not sure whether to go with 1200 or 1500 cals. If i put in i want to lose a 1kg (2.2lbs) a week it gives me 1200 cals. Not sure if that is enough and i don't want to fail due to not enough food. Any advice

I think the rule of thumb is a half pound (per week) for every 25 pounds that you are over weight, so if you are trying to lose 50 pounds, you should go with 1 pound per week.

If you combine exercise and dieting, you should be able lose even more, and still get what your body needs.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Do you do this manually or is there a feature on this site that does it for you?

I do it manually. On Saturday morning, I check back over the last 7 days and add up the figure I am 'under 1500' by. Usually I bank around 200 for Saturday which is great :D