Once again I'm starting over

Options
mpost12590
mpost12590 Posts: 143 Member
edited September 2015 in Getting Started
Hello all today I am starting my journey to find a healthier me. I have lost who I am over time. I am starting today at 253.8 lbs. the doctors want me down to between 150-160 lbs. Knowing the number I need to be is making me stressed even more. My plan is to every morning have a protein shake or a protein muffin for breakfast, lunch will be a salad or soup of some kind, dinner will be a light meal. I plan on working out 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. Also I am doing weight loss hypnosis. My fitness app has me on 1500 calories. I would like to lose all the weight in a years time. If anyone wants to add me on my fitness I'm mpost13590.

Replies

• MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cant tell you how many times I did exactly the same thing, do fine during the week then come weekend, I fail miserably... started again 2 weeks ago, gone through two weekends + bank holiday without cheating, was all worthwhile in the end after loosing 7 pounds during that time.
    So get back on your horse and lets get going, it will all be worth it in the end.
    I have learned to set small goals at a time...that seems to help for me.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I believe you are not alone. We all have bad days where we just can't find the motivation to exercise or to make healthier choices with our food. But just enjoy those days and move on. They are in the past, just get back in the saddle and carry on.
    We all have them if it was easy we wouldn't be here talking about it.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Amen! Both responders here... Great encouragement, Thank you! And thanks mpost for your post... I needed to see this one!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you keep having to start over? Why will this time be different? You need to know the answer to this or you will end up with the same result.

If you havent used mfp before then read

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Its also handy if you understand about nutrition.
    and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vismal/view/calorie-counting-101-661489

Get yourself a scale and master weighing and logging your food at an accurate deficit.

Two things stick out.:
    1. The fact you are stressed by succh a large target. Its certainly possible to get there, but to avoid geting overwhelmed break it down and take baby steps at first , maybe make your first target 1, then 5 then 10lbs. Thats less scary and more manageable. Knowing what you are dloing and how it works will reduce the fear factor.
    2. Over 100lbs in a year is an aggressive target, so dont impose deadlines or anything you cnat manage. helathy weight loss os 1-2lbs a week over time. A more realistic traget is 1lb a week and then you can see if you cna lose more that rather than stressing yourself out. Its likely you will meet that target easily and anything else is a bonus. I'd be investing in increasing my knowledge, some good scales and maybe some decent food or a gym membership rather than hypnotherpay but good luck with it.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    Thank you all! I am trying to look at it as 5 lbs at a time. I was told I can do weight loss surgery but it's to risky in my opinion due to suffering from really low platelets.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    Don't stress too much about that number - I know it can be daunting at first and focusing on how much you 'need' to lose can seem a bit intimidating. When I was told by my doctor that I needed to lose 25lbs, I was ashamed and couldn't stop thinking "This is so much to lose, it's going to take forever". I broke the weight down in to smaller increments and after 4 months, I have lost the 25lbs and then some. You can do this, I promise.
    Wishing you the best of luck.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    I always do good for a few weeks then I snap for what ever reason and then there no coming back from it because I then eat more out of guilt and the cycle seems to keep repeating. I need to find away to stop the cycle permanently and just keep on track.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You just need to ask yourself how important it is to get to goal. The more important it is to you, the more likely you'll succeed. Believe in yourself, trust the process and you'll go far :)
  • 999tigger
    Options
    mpost12590 wrote: »
    I always do good for a few weeks then I snap for what ever reason and then there no coming back from it because I then eat more out of guilt and the cycle seems to keep repeating. I need to find away to stop the cycle permanently and just keep on track.

Sounds like you are over ambitious in your targets hence you cant sustain it and binge out. 1lb a week for 100 weeks is better than 3lb a week for 2 weeks and crashing out. The stress sounds self induced. No coming bacck means you either arent committed plus you dont have a plan thats flexible enough to deal with what happens when you hit a rough spot. Prepare properly and work out how to make a plan for you that you can manage and sustain.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    The stress is due to health issues I have. The doctor stresses me out by if I haven't loss what she I should have during our visits she reminds me I could die. That I should want better for my children. I keep trying to stick to her diet plans for me but I just can't. This time I'm trying it my way.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Stress can motivate, but it can also get in the way of making progress.
    Presumably the health issues are not weight related.
    If they are due to being overweight and risks you feel you are at, then the stress wont help you, what will is getting smart and learning how to diet effectively. Your Dr would be happier if you lost half that wight in a year than having lost none of it because you cant sustain a plan longer than 2 weeks.

There is nothing complicated about weight loss, but you do need to understand how it works and then make a sensible plan that will work for you an to which you will commit. It would probably benefit from running it past a few people so they cna make suggestions.
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Starting over again myself. I let what someone else was doing stress me out and it's the first time I really didn't care what I ate to comfort myself. Falling off like that was really hard to stop but I did. So here I go again. Good luck to us both. :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Seems like too much change too fast. And you don't have to be that strict with your meals. I certainly wouldn't do well with a protein shake every morning. I need real food. Maybe just try for a salad at lunch. Then in a week or so work on dinner. Then once you have your nutrition under control, start walking 3 times a week. Slow and steady. Find changes/foods/workouts that you actually enjoy or you will fail. It has to become a way of life. Something you don't even question. That will take time but WILL happen. You don't have to change everything all at once. Too stressful and setting yourself up for failure. XO
  • mpost12590
    Options
    I suffer from lupus, asthma, sleep apnea, ITP (low platelets), diabetes, fibromyalgia, and severe iron deficiency. That's a lot of stress right there. Add in three special needs children and a disabled husband this is why I stress eat. I feel as though the world is on my shoulders at times. I need to find a healthy method of coping with it. I know that much.
  • ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Do you know why you keep having to start over? Why will this time be different? You need to know the answer to this or you will end up with the same result.

If you havent used mfp before then read

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Its also handy if you understand about nutrition.
    and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vismal/view/calorie-counting-101-661489

Get yourself a scale and master weighing and logging your food at an accurate deficit.

Two things stick out.:
    1. The fact you are stressed by succh a large target. Its certainly possible to get there, but to avoid geting overwhelmed break it down and take baby steps at first , maybe make your first target 1, then 5 then 10lbs. Thats less scary and more manageable. Knowing what you are dloing and how it works will reduce the fear factor.
    2. Over 100lbs in a year is an aggressive target, so dont impose deadlines or anything you cnat manage. helathy weight loss os 1-2lbs a week over time. A more realistic traget is 1lb a week and then you can see if you cna lose more that rather than stressing yourself out. Its likely you will meet that target easily and anything else is a bonus. I'd be investing in increasing my knowledge, some good scales and maybe some decent food or a gym membership rather than hypnotherpay but good luck with it.

• 999tigger
    Options
    mpost12590 wrote: »
    I suffer from lupus, asthma, sleep apnea, ITP (low platelets), diabetes, fibromyalgia, and severe iron deficiency. That's a lot of stress right there. Add in three special needs children and a disabled husband this is why I stress eat. I feel as though the world is on my shoulders at times. I need to find a healthy method of coping with it. I know that much.

Ok I wasnt trying to pry. thats a lot to deal with, but to lose the weight you are going to have to adapt and take account of each condition so it doesnt hold you back. They are all issues, but they are all things you cna and should deal with. See them as challenges rather than sticks to beat yourself with. If you use the board then you should get good advice or friends with people who have one of those conditions and you cna join support groups.

There are also binge eating and emotional eating groups. Emotional eating is often solved by having a stragey to deal with stress instead of just eating your feelings which makes you even more miserable, so you will need to understand what you cna do to reduce your stress as well as ways you can destress which dont involve food.

Once you start making progress with weight loss it will build confidence as well as become a refuge which you cna use as a way to channel your energy positively and start to believe you know how to lose weight and can make it from beginning to end. If stress plays such a large part then i really wouldntcreate more by being overmabitious, but instead start by preparing and making small changes and transition into it. It might be a slow start but the idea is to do it once from beginning to end.

You cna do it but you have to be smart about it by putting effort into prpeparing to ive yourself the best chance of succeeding. Good luck anyway.