supplements, shakes, protein, bars etc

Options
MrsEGreen
MrsEGreen Posts: 53 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've heard alot about products that assist with weight loss but would hate to waste money on crap
Is there any recommendations for products to assist with weight loss that you use
That is healthy and works?
Thanks

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say - save your money for your grocery shopping instead :)

I don't say that because it's a popular answer - I said it because I have personally tried every thing. The majority of diet pills, shakes, meal replacements, I've done 'em. I've spent the money, I've tracked my progress which was 0. As soon as I ditched the 'products' and relied on the science of calorie deficit and exercise, the weight fell off.

Protein Shakes are another story. My boyfriend is at a very, very low body fat percentage and is 'ripped' - he is a protein shake fan, especially before his work-outs. Personally, I have no experience with them so can't really advise you there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    None of that 'assists weight loss'. They just help meeting your protein goal if you're short.
  • MrsEGreen
    MrsEGreen Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps hun
    I read things about products from places like muscleworx (supplement store) and just wonder if there is anythint in there that would actually help.
    Just not the scam thingys
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    MrsEGreen wrote: »
    Thanks heaps hun
    I read things about products from places like muscleworx (supplement store) and just wonder if there is anythint in there that would actually help.
    Just not the scam thingys

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk on your wallet when there isn't really any need to :)
    You'll lose weight just fine with a deficit and exercise.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I buy protein bars (usually the Balance brand, but sometimes another if they are <$1 each and have at least 10 g protein) ... I can go from just fine to must eat right now in a very short time if I'm not careful, so it's good to have one in my purse instead of buying fast food or a candy bar. I also buy a protein powder, but I only use it occasionally - when I'm quite low on protein for the day.

They only work, though, in helping me meet my macros and stay within calories. You can do that just fine with normal food, too. And anything that claims to "burn fat" or "lose weight without diet/exercise" is going to be a waste of money and potentially dangerous.
  • ninjawaffles22
    ninjawaffles22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For some people, protein bars, shakes, supplements, etc., work for them. You just need to be aware of these products because many (most) of these "health" foods contain so much sugar and artificial preservatives. I used to buy protein bars and shakes, but since I've stopped and replaced them with lean proteins to meet my protein goal, I have much more energy and have much more success. Like I said, these things work for some people, but my personal recommendation is to lean towards whole natural foods.
  • tracep34
    tracep34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been using GNC lean shakes, they taste pretty good. I find them helpful with my busy schedule. I'll have one shake 170 calories with a piece of fruit and some nuts. It seems to hold me.