In Search of Ketogenic Dieters

I need a small support group of Ketogenic dieters that have figured it out. My doctor has placed me on this program, and I'm super nervous, but also excited to see how this will work for me. I have researched it for several days now, and I'm getting close to feeling comfortable enough to start it. However, if I got a small little support team going that would be amazing. Does anyone know of any groups on here?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Low Carber Daily also as quite a few.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low Carber Daily also as quite a few.

I second this opinion. The LCD group is great!
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    I'm all about keto. I've been on the diet a few months now, know a bunch of people also doing it with success, and have been doing a lot of research on it. Oh and I have a ton of really good recipes! Message me if you have any questions! :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Your doctor should have given you the information you needed,
    or at least referred you to a dietician to set up an eating plan.
    This isn't something that's easy to do, or to take lightly.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet
    The ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian.
    The typical ketogenic diet, called the "long-chain triglyceride diet," provides 3 to 4 grams of fat for every 1 gram of carbohydrate and protein.

The dietician recommends a daily diet that contains 75 to 100 calories for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight and 1-2 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight.
    side effects that might occur if the person stays on the diet for a long time are:

Kidney stones
    High cholesterol levels in the blood
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Slowed growth or weight gain
    Bone fractures
    Because the diet does not provide all the vitamins and minerals found in a balanced diet, the dietician will recommend vitamin and mineral supplements. The most important of these are calcium and vitamin D (to prevent thinning of the bones), iron, and folic acid.

BTW, this part makes no sense to me:
    "75 to 100 calories for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight"

If I did that, I have at least 6800 calories/day!!!
    My current goal is 1400. No way would this "keto diet" help me lose weight.

Since your doctor put you on it, obviously controlling your seizures is more important than gaining weight,
    so stick with what s/he told you to do. If you're unsure, get back in touch with the office for better directions,
    or a referral to a dietician. While you're waiting for that, read _reputable_ sites for information.

Here's a good place to start looking for research relating to any health topic:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet
    The ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian.
    The typical ketogenic diet, called the "long-chain triglyceride diet," provides 3 to 4 grams of fat for every 1 gram of carbohydrate and protein.

The dietician recommends a daily diet that contains 75 to 100 calories for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight and 1-2 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight.
    side effects that might occur if the person stays on the diet for a long time are:

Kidney stones
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Bone fractures
    Because the diet does not provide all the vitamins and minerals found in a balanced diet, the dietician will recommend vitamin and mineral supplements. The most important of these are calcium and vitamin D (to prevent thinning of the bones), iron, and folic acid.

Since your doctor put you on it, obviously controlling your seizures is more important than gaining weight,
    so stick with what s/he told you to do. If you're unsure, get back in touch with the office for better directions,
    or a referral to a dietician. While you're waiting for that, read _reputable_ sites for information.

The keto diet used to treat epilepsy is MUCH stricter than the typical nutritional ketosis diet used for better health or to treat IR. Medical advice is helpfu, yes, but not many doctors can help much with diet
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Keto isn't complicated, a struggle to follow, or set you up to be deficient in nutrients.

Low carber daily group is fantastic! Also feel free to add me as a friend if you want. :-)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2015

Kidney stones
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Bone fractures

It does not make sense because all the info you posted was for a drug resistant epileptic infant or child for a highly restricted medically prescribed ketogenic diet. We have no indication that OP is any of these things. Maybe you should edit or delete?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015

Kidney stones
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Bone fractures

Does the OP have a seizure disorder?

And on another note: are most people's diets balanced and do most folks get all the vitamins and minerals they need? Thinking specifically about folks eating a modern western diet.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    I am not technically keto ( I eat nuts and occasionally small amounts of beans) but I do keep my carbs under 40g per day. This keeps me in a moderate ketosis. My diary is open to friends. Feel free to add me. I've been doing this on and off for 2 1/2 years and lost 140 lbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    kittykarin wrote: »
    I am not technically keto ( I eat nuts and occasionally small amounts of beans) but I do keep my carbs under 40g per day. This keeps me in a moderate ketosis. My diary is open to friends. Feel free to add me. I've been doing this on and off for 2 1/2 years and lost 140 lbs.

Anything under 50g is ketogenic.
  • JENIPENNY123
    JENIPENNY123 Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    I don't know of any groups; I'm kind of in the same boat as you! I've been doing keto and intermittent fasting for nearly five weeks now without any setbacks. I was nervous at first, but I am so glad that I did it! The weight has not flown off my body, but I have seen steady and consistent weight loss, and now that's it's been several weeks, I have tons more energy, my mood is more stable, my work-outs (cardio) are better. I'm so grateful that I did this, and I wish my doctor had told me about it :)
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    edited September 2015

Does the OP have a seizure disorder?

And on another note: are most people's diets balanced and do most folks get all the vitamins and minerals they need? Thinking specifically about folks eating a modern western diet.[/quote]

I do not have a seizure disorder. My doc has me on this to reduce my risk of diabetes and weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

Kidney stones
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Bone fractures

I think you either misread or posted in the wrong place. OP never said she has seizures.