Black coffee

Options
I've been drinking a lot more coffee lately, and I don't care about the calories, but for simplicity in logging and whatnot I've been considering switching to just black coffee.
Question is, do most people aquire the taste relatively quickly? If not I'll probably stick with 1creamer/1splenda per.

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't know because I have tried once or twice and didn't like it at all. I figure life is too short to mess with my coffee! lol. Also, it's best for my family's mental health (and possibly their physical health as well :wink: ) if I drink my coffee as I like it first thing in the morning.
  • hanalou1992
    hanalou1992 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know because I have tried once or twice and didn't like it at all. I figure life is too short to mess with my coffee! lol. Also, it's best for my family's mental health (and possibly their physical health as well :wink: ) if I drink my coffee as I like it first thing in the morning.

@dazlindiva630347 you could help with this one
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I used to be unable to drink it black but do now. The taste comes as your taste buds wither away in sadness --- I'm kidding. Seriously though. And for those moments I want something sweeter I am pretty guilt-free on the sweet and low.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like black better now, but I never liked it sweetened. When I switched from my college drink of half coffee/half milk (just decided at some point in my early 20s that black would be more adult, who knows why) I just gradually put less and less milk in.

Seems super easy to log the add-ins if that's your motivation, though.
  • dazlindiva630347
    dazlindiva630347 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a lot more coffee lately, and I don't care about the calories, but for simplicity in logging and whatnot I've been considering switching to just black coffee.
    Question is, do most people aquire the taste relatively quickly? If not I'll probably stick with 1creamer/1splenda per.

I drink black coffee ALL the time, didnt like it to start that much, but that is all I can drink now. Try making it slightly weaker at first with abit of sweetener in, then gradually increase the coffee and reduce the sweetener, your tastebuds will adjust, Also black coffee is great for keeping hunger at bay! Good luck
  • snickers061703
    snickers061703 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is an acquired taste. I took two sips of black coffee before I added sweetener or creamers to mine, and as I cut out the added sugar in my diet, the taste became manageable. Now after a couple of months, I enjoy it black.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The blacker the better. ..never like cream or milk it ruins the taste of the coffee ☺
  • dazlindiva630347
    dazlindiva630347 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    The blacker the better. ..never like cream or milk it ruins the taste of the coffee ☺

I agree completely!! Dont add anything... as it comes is the best way to enjoy coffee, stroner the better for me too ☺
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do you make your own coffee? If you are buying something like Starbucks, then in all likelihood, no you won't acquire a taste for it (at least not quickly). I have a (cheap) espresso machine, and a French press. I buy good (locally roasted) coffee beans, and make amazing tasting coffee that doesn't need sweeteners, or cream. Starbucks and the like have burnt beans, and tend to overextract, making for a nasty, bitter experience. That said, I do drink even Starbucks black. But I always ask myself why I bought it afterward.

I tend to save the cream for when I want to indulge. I don't even log black coffee most days. I don't drink enough for it to make an impact. I don't usually make more than one French press full, and that is what, 34 ounces?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont care for black coffee. ill drink it if i have no choice, but dont like it LOL

• alaurahernandez
    Options
    I used to not like it, but I drink it now! Try it iced to water it down a bit if you find it too strong, or add some stevia to sweeten it! If I want creamer I add unsweetened almond milk, too. Good luck!
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can drink coffee black only if it's good coffee. The sweetener and milk is usually there if it's instant or crap coffee.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can't do black coffee. I'll stick to my Douwe Egberts Hazelnut Blend, with milk. :smiley:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It only took a few cups of black to get over my half & half and sugar. Light roast helps.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have the equivalent of two cups ... in one very large mug, with double espresso protein powder in it, and that's it. I'd rather have a little coffee just the way I like it than lots of black coffee.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

It took me about two weeks to love the flavour of black dark roast coffee. It has to be good coffee though.....
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I drink a range of coffee's
    Have different kinds from Instant coffee normal Folgers and Yuban to Starbucks ground and other delicatessen coffee's.

And i log them all....drink an average of 14 cups of black coffee a day. And make most of the time one flavored one (own recipe) and cookie spice is my favorite.
    So i also have a whole range of flavored syrups (sugar free) But not really a "sweet" person ( lol some people will agree with this pun ;) ) So use those less

But everything gets logged. Except water.

I just love my coffee!

As a former restaurant owner and nutrition as a prof. we had a whole range of coffee's, i guess i got used to the fact that you can do some much fun things with coffee....( except i pass on the bullet proof one rofl)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    yogacat13 wrote: »
    I can drink coffee black only if it's good coffee. The sweetener and milk is usually there if it's instant or crap coffee.

This.

I have 1 bag of grounds that has to have milk and/or creamer added for it to taste decent. The other I can drink black once it cools.

Up to you either way since it's all about best taste :)

~Lyssa
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do you make your own coffee? If you are buying something like Starbucks, then in all likelihood, no you won't acquire a taste for it (at least not quickly). I have a (cheap) espresso machine, and a French press. I buy good (locally roasted) coffee beans, and make amazing tasting coffee that doesn't need sweeteners, or cream. Starbucks and the like have burnt beans, and tend to overextract, making for a nasty, bitter experience. That said, I do drink even Starbucks black. But I always ask myself why I bought it afterward.

I tend to save the cream for when I want to indulge. I don't even log black coffee most days. I don't drink enough for it to make an impact. I don't usually make more than one French press full, and that is what, 34 ounces?

You are my coffee spirit animal!! I was just going to say this exactly. There is a local coffee house in my town that's roasts their own beans and I can go there and drink black coffee and love it! I drink Gevalia every morning at home and always have half and half with it. It's not the same.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    kittykarin wrote: »
    You are my coffee spirit animal!! I was just going to say this exactly. There is a local coffee house in my town that's roasts their own beans and I can go there and drink black coffee and love it! I drink Gevalia every morning at home and always have half and half with it. It's not the same.

Yeah, it makes a big difference. :)