Can you gain from eating too little calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sakura00005
    Sakura00005 Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    15lbs in 6 weeks is not a healthy rate to lose weight. What will happen if you haven't reached your goal weight by then?

I won't be allowed to transfer from PA army national guard to FL army national Guard. which means I have to quit my job in FL and leave my loved ones that I'm staying with in FL and go back to PA where my parents kicked me out of their house.... not a happy ending if i fail. If I do pass it. I have to stay in that 145 lb range (no more than 147lbs) in order to stay in the army or else I get a dishonorable discharge (It's only for certain units in the army national guard. Some let it fly. Some if u fail the weight and measurment 2 times u get discharged with dishonorable) I can never pass the measurements.. I get a 15in neck. 32 waist. and 40 hip (when they measure the hip the thickest part of ur butt is included which i think is bull... so I'm aiming to lose the weight and not the inches off my body)
  • Sakura00005
    edited September 2015
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    you need to use a scale.

you are eating more than you think you are.

I use a scale to measure my weigh but not to measure food... The bag usually tells me how many cups = 1 serving. Not in oz.
    Measuring cups are made for liquids only. Your food will also give you a number in grams. That is what you should be using. You can get a food scale that weighs in grams for about 10 bucks. You can eat as much protein as you want so long as calories remain in check. Extra protein does not cause weight gain. So long as you remain in a calorie deficit, you will not gain weight.
    ammo7 wrote: »
    you need to use a scale.

you are eating more than you think you are.

I use a scale to measure my weigh but not to measure food... The bag usually tells me how many cups = 1 serving. Not in oz.

Cup measurements are only for liquids, you need to use a kitchen scale for solid foods, otherwise it can be wildly inaccurate.

And to emphasize what others have said: it's okay to eat lots of protein.

Okay. I understand now about why I should use a scale and not a measuring cup. The protein thing still baffles me but seeing as so many say more protein is fine I shall eat more protein and enough cal for that 1,000 mark.
    1000 calories is not enough. You are not getting proper nutrition on many fronts. That's not a good idea.

Right now I'm not rly focused on the nutrition because I have a deadline to lose the weight. After that deadline sure.. I'll have more of a proper nutrition meal plan. But for now ... too much is at risk.
  • Sakura00005
    edited September 2015
    Options
    15lbs in 6 weeks is not a healthy rate to lose weight. What will happen if you haven't reached your goal weight by then?
    I'm also using diet pills called "Mega-T lose weight & burn fat" and drinking 1liter of water a day. (The pill is organic and is suppose to help me suppress hunger and increase my metabolism. A friend of a friend told me it works, so I'm trying it out.) Also another friend of mine said that I could do this fast thingie for a last resort. Basically you drink a gal of syrup mixed with lemon juice through out the day and nothing else. She lose 10lbs in a week. BUT it's a last resort sort of thing. (My friend is a nurse who likes to eat healthy. She usually is the one who tells me what i should eat.. like tofu.. and not chips... god i want chips TT^TT.... I was gana eat that microwaved mac and cheese because it has like only 3g of fat and 210 cal... I thought it was good... but she scolded me :T but yeah... She helps me when she or I are not working.) I really went off topic.. sorry ^^;;
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Please just delete this whole post so other new people don't see what you're doing and think its ok. Because its not! Diet pills aren't ok, drinking lemon syrup not ok, eating 900-1000 cals a day not ok. IF you do hit the goal weight, you'll be close to physically useless from ruining your muscles and body
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ShandaLeaS wrote: »
    Please just delete this whole post so other new people don't see what you're doing and think its ok. Because its not! Diet pills aren't ok, drinking lemon syrup not ok, eating 900-1000 cals a day not ok. IF you do hit the goal weight, you'll be close to physically useless from ruining your muscles and body

thats the thing. shes eating more than she thinks she is. probably a lot more since she THINKS shes eating so little, but still not losing weight.....
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

I won't be allowed to transfer from PA army national guard to FL army national Guard. which means I have to quit my job in FL and leave my loved ones that I'm staying with in FL and go back to PA where my parents kicked me out of their house.... not a happy ending if i fail. If I do pass it. I have to stay in that 145 lb range (no more than 147lbs) in order to stay in the army or else I get a dishonorable discharge (It's only for certain units in the army national guard. Some let it fly. Some if u fail the weight and measurment 2 times u get discharged with dishonorable) I can never pass the measurements.. I get a 15in neck. 32 waist. and 40 hip (when they measure the hip the thickest part of ur butt is included which i think is bull... so I'm aiming to lose the weight and not the inches off my body)

Sorry to be rude, But If it's that important to you then treat it professionally like a proper job/interview and prepare/research/do the hard work and don't take short cuts. You have a solid goal in front of you and you should take it seriously if it's something your committed too. You should be researching this catalogue of errors properly on the internet and applying it to reach your goals. Good luck.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh I get that but overall she's generating unhealthy thoughts and habits that new people who are trying to figure it out won't realize.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't get the obsession with too much protein. As a member of the military, you can use the extra help in building and repairing muscle. Not to mention, muscle in turn burns calories. The amount of calories you're attempting to take in is very unhealthy. 1200 minimum. That's why you're getting scolded when you log, because it's the rule of thumb. Get a scale. Measuring cups are okay but not accurate.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It seems that you're out of tolerance according to AR 600-9 and the physical fitness standards. The Army is reducing the number of Soldiers across all components (active, reserve, and guard) starting with those who self nominate for elimination. You currently fall in that category.

The diet plan you describe is foolish and unhealthy. It is clear that you have no understanding of what comprises a healthy intake. Do some homework.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is so much wrong & sadness in this post
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    So if this were a matter of being able to keep your standing in the National Guard, perhaps you should have been really busting your backside at this MONTHS ago, not a few weeks before the deadline. The amount you need to lose in the timeframe you need to lose it in is pretty much not doable, and like others have said if you do manage to lose the weight in time, you're going to be hating life. Hopefully for your sake there's no PT to go with it or you're going to end up in medical.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I don't get the obsession with too much protein. As a member of the military, you can use the extra help in building and repairing muscle. Not to mention, muscle in turn burns calories. The amount of calories you're attempting to take in is very unhealthy. 1200 minimum. That's why you're getting scolded when you log, because it's the rule of thumb. Get a scale. Measuring cups are okay but not accurate.
    she isnt going to be building any muscle eating so little calories,I dont know if that little would even be enough to repair muscle.