Keto LCHF 3months on 1000kcal 20g carb not losing

Options
Ok, big title there! But I've been going crazy now! I've been on Keto or LCHF diet for over 3
Months now. Lost 10kg or 22lb, I'm 162cm or 5'3"... I began with 1350kcal a day 20g carb give or take it. Then on my second month I hit a damn wall and did not lose anything for about a month, so I decreased cals to 1100 cals a day, 20-25g carb. Now I'm stuck for about a month not losing anything again. The scale fluctuates constantly and my waist measurement hasn't gone down either. On top of the new calories (1100) I've been bicycling almost everyday and my monitor shows 400-500kcal spent when I do. Also, taking wellbutrin and revia to hep on axiety and hunger. Any help? Ketostix never shown dark purple or even purple, only light pink or trace. Also, count all my food here on Myfitnesspal. Help? Going crazy! Only need to lose more 10kg or 22lb.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Can you open your diary? Do you eat back your exercise calories? How often do you weigh yourself?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In 12 weeks you've lost 22 lbs, and you think you need to change something? Sounds to me like you've found something that's works for you :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    What many don't realize with high calorie deficits, is that the body adapts to the calories available. Yes you can lose with a high calorie deficit, but metabolic rate (RMR rate) can drop to lower levels when the body senses too low of calories consumed. You burn more body fat at rest than exercising (your body is at rest sleeping than exercising even for 3 hours) however if the RMR is lower that what it used to be, body fat burn goes to a crawl. Exercising utilizes whatever glycogen can be used and that glycogen can also come from muscle tissue converted to amino acids.
    Reconsider how much you're taking in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    that combination of low carb and low calorie is just so dang hard on your hormones and stress. Your body needs a source of glycogen for cardio and many day to day activities including brain function.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lisokinha wrote: »
    Ok, big title there! But I've been going crazy now! I've been on Keto or LCHF diet for over 3
    Months now. Lost 10kg or 22lb, I'm 162cm or 5'3"... I began with 1350kcal a day 20g carb give or take it. Then on my second month I hit a damn wall and did not lose anything for about a month, so I decreased cals to 1100 cals a day, 20-25g carb. Now I'm stuck for about a month not losing anything again. The scale fluctuates constantly and my waist measurement hasn't gone down either. On top of the new calories (1100) I've been bicycling almost everyday and my monitor shows 400-500kcal spent when I do. Also, taking wellbutrin and revia to hep on axiety and hunger. Any help? Ketostix never shown dark purple or even purple, only light pink or trace. Also, count all my food here on Myfitnesspal. Help? Going crazy! Only need to lose more 10kg or 22lb.

I am going through the same thing. My whole 4th month the scale hasn't moved and measurements are the same.
    I started intermittent fasting 3 days a week (started this week) and I can't say for sure yet because weigh in day is tomorrow, but I do think I may have made some progress this week.
    IF and Keto is a very common combination. I will probably do it 3 days a week on a regular basis. It's really quite easy. After dinner one night, I don't eat again until after 1pm the next day. I like to take a good 2+ mile walk in the morning while fasted. I always get a dark purple read after that. Though it doesn't really matter too much how dark the Keto stick is. You're either in ketosis or not.
    I know some people just do a few days fasting once a month or so. It's up to you and weather or not you have any benefit from the experience.

Also, I just wanted to note that I still meet my calorie goal while fasting. I don't do it as a way to further cut calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you may accidentally be eating more than you intend. Not losing on what you say you are eating doesn't make sense. You are weighing everything?

Are you still having a lot of hunger? That is unusual once someone is fat adapted... You may want to try the Low Carber Daily or Keto groups. People could give better advice there.

As for the ketostix, some people makes more ketones than others. I suppose there is a chance yours are actually high... Are you counting carbs before subtracting fibre? That might be the way to go.
  • Lisokinha
    Lisokinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Can you open your diary? Do you eat back your exercise calories? How often do you weigh yourself?
    I don't weight my food... How do I open my diary? But I am I am always counting up my food instead of underestimating.
  • Lisokinha
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My guess is that you may accidentally be eating more than you intend. Not losing on what you say you are eating doesn't make sense. You are weighing everything?

Are you still having a lot of hunger? That is unusual once someone is fat adapted... You may want to try the Low Carber Daily or Keto groups. People could give better advice there.

As for the ketostix, some people makes more ketones than others. I suppose there is a chance yours are actually high... Are you counting carbs before subtracting fibre? That might be the way to go.

Ok, so I don't feel hungry as I feel like eating. When I am not doing anything specially. Here is the thing thou, on my first month it was horrible, then I got a trash day. Then on my second month I was never ever hungry, was just thirsty all the time and felt that food made me nauseated, lost 4kg on first month than another 4kg on 2nd month. At the end of second month I allowed myself another trash day (which didn't really work, because I couldn't eat much neither all the things I wanted because my body wouldn't want it. But my third month hs been completely different, since I am not always hungry, but I feel leaner, and I never cheat. I'm really lost.
  • Lisokinha
    Options
    that combination of low carb and low calorie is just so dang hard on your hormones and stress. Your body needs a source of glycogen for cardio and many day to day activities including brain function.
    It's what I've been thinking about lately. Maybe I need to eat more? Because you know what? I feel the desire to eat sweets sometimes, whichh never happened before, and I know that this is some sort of sign of your body...
    Any guesses? I do go to a dr. Specially because she put me on the above cited meds.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's what I've been thinking about lately. Maybe I need to eat more? Because you know what? I feel the desire to eat sweets sometimes, whichh never happened before, and I know that this is some sort of sign of your body...
    Any guesses? I do go to a dr. Specially because she put me on the above cited meds.

You may need to eat more and likely are low on electrolytes as that is typically the cause of the symptoms you described your first two months. But while your brain does require a minimum amount of glucose, it is untrue that you have to provide it through consumption. The body makes its own glucose as needed. It's also not true that cardio requires glycogen. The body simply needs fuel. If you choose to use ketones as fuel, you will be just fine as long as you are aware of your increased sodium and possibly potassium and magnesium needs.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I don't weight my food... How do I open my diary? But I am I am always counting up my food instead of underestimating.
    Then you could be eating way more than you think. Use a food scale.
  • Lisokinha
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Then you could be eating way more than you think. Use a food scale.

I have opened my diary!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Ok, so I don't feel hungry as I feel like eating. When I am not doing anything specially. Here is the thing thou, on my first month it was horrible, then I got a trash day. Then on my second month I was never ever hungry, was just thirsty all the time and felt that food made me nauseated, lost 4kg on first month than another 4kg on 2nd month. At the end of second month I allowed myself another trash day (which didn't really work, because I couldn't eat much neither all the things I wanted because my body wouldn't want it. But my third month hs been completely different, since I am not always hungry, but I feel leaner, and I never cheat. I'm really lost.

I to find that I need to drink more, and I need way more salt (sodium), magnesium and potassium. When I keep those up I feel very good (extra vitamins and a small teaspoon of salt in some water in the morning or broth). If they get low I am tired, headachy, and get muscle cramps. Nausea is fairly common if your electrolytes get low.

Ketostix can fade out to zero once you are fully fat adapted. I get more trace readings now (2 months in) than I used to as well.

I would keep it up. My guess is that you'll get a drop any time now.
  • asillem74
    asillem74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I posted a topic called "Keto Help" earlier today because on the overall I have done well but, if I look at the week to week picture, I've been stuck most of my 44 days doing Keto. A couple of people linked me to some articles on Keto and exercise and how exercising my in fact be the reason you're stalling. I haven't read them all completely yet but the basics was something to the effect of if you're working out (especially hiit type exercises) and not getting enough calories you may not be losing the weight.

If you search by my name or subject title you should be able to find the thread and read the articles if you're interested.

Good luck
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

That sounds horrible... like really really not fun.