Pcos and macros

Options
Hello! I have pcos and for about a year I have gained weight without even realising, I am 5ft 2inches and currently weigh 130lbs - I have put on 20lbs over the last year. When I gained weight I tried switching my macros up to see what worked best. I'm up for any suggestions!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Because PCOS is linked to insulin resistance, some find that eating a low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet can help eliminate symptoms, and may make it easier to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I don't have PCOS but I am IR, and LCHF did help me.

... It's not for everyone though. Best wishes.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience! The weight slowly creeped on in high school after I quit swim team (due to injury) and college. I was diagnosed six months after graduating. I'm 5'3 and went from 120 to 145, dropped it by eating a low glycemic diet and walking a mile or two several times a week. Then the weight came back when I stopped caring about what I ate and moving less. I think being active had helped to keep my weight down. I'm not fully IR yet, but I'm close.

I tried low glycemic eating again but no luck. I've found this time around that going paleo has helped. My husband and I are a week in to doing a Whole30 (although we definitely broke the rules this weekend for barbecues). My macros are set at 50% fat and 25% protein & carbs. Mostly I just try to stay under 100g of carbs which is easy with the whole30.

Check out the PCOS group P.C.O.Sis. It's great and full of so much useful information!
  • malitesson
    malitesson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for 8 years now and I live a primarily Paleo life. Sometimes I indulge in a drink but it shocked me how my body reacted to going Paleo. It might be worth a try.
  • priya_t
    priya_t Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Because PCOS is linked to insulin resistance, some find that eating a low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet can help eliminate symptoms, and may make it easier to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I don't have PCOS but I am IR, and LCHF did help me.

... It's not for everyone though. Best wishes.

Thank you for your advise! I think have insulin resistance, I've booked a doctors appointment to check. I've never tried high fat and low carb before, however I have done high protein and low carb but I think I only lost water weight. I'll give that a go though.
  • priya_t
    Options
    I had a similar experience! The weight slowly creeped on in high school after I quit swim team (due to injury) and college. I was diagnosed six months after graduating. I'm 5'3 and went from 120 to 145, dropped it by eating a low glycemic diet and walking a mile or two several times a week. Then the weight came back when I stopped caring about what I ate and moving less. I think being active had helped to keep my weight down. I'm not fully IR yet, but I'm close.

I tried low glycemic eating again but no luck. I've found this time around that going paleo has helped. My husband and I are a week in to doing a Whole30 (although we definitely broke the rules this weekend for barbecues). My macros are set at 50% fat and 25% protein & carbs. Mostly I just try to stay under 100g of carbs which is easy with the whole30.

Check out the PCOS group P.C.O.Sis. It's great and full of so much useful information!

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one now! Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts. This week I'm sticking to 90g of carbs to see how that goes, I've heard paleo is good but I think I'll find it hard to stick to it. Also is that group on myfitnesspal?
  • priya_t
    Options
    malitesson wrote: »
    I've had PCOS for 8 years now and I live a primarily Paleo life. Sometimes I indulge in a drink but it shocked me how my body reacted to going Paleo. It might be worth a try.

Thank you for your advise! I'm hearing a lot about the paleo lifestyle, I'm keen to give that a go. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I was able to become pregnant and improve my insulin sensitivity by simply following portion control and slightly modifying my carbohydrate intake. 45% carbohydrate, 35% fat, and 20% protein that was just a guide though so I would only have a one slice bread sandwich. Honestly when I stick with it portion control works the best by controlling calories. I'd average between 125-150g carbohydrates
  • priya_t
    Options
    I was able to become pregnant and improve my insulin sensitivity by simply following portion control and slightly modifying my carbohydrate intake. 45% carbohydrate, 35% fat, and 20% protein that was just a guide though so I would only have a one slice bread sandwich. Honestly when I stick with it portion control works the best by controlling calories. I'd average between 125-150g carbohydrates

Thank you for you advise, but for my height and body weight is that the right amount of carbs?