Is 2lb per week unrealistic??

Options
Hi all, my current goal (on MFP) is 1 lb per week (which would equal 4 pounds per month). I def. want to do slow and steady as I know thats what keeps the weight off (as opposed to losing it terribly quick and then gaining it all back and then some), but I feel like 4lb per month is super super low...Ideally i would like to lose a total of 10 lbs per month....so is 2lb per week unrealistic for a 5 foot 1 gal that CW 190lb?

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is. That's the weight I was when I joined this site a few days ago and I've already lost 3 lbs
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    Not at all! My goal is 150lbs with losing 2lbs a week and its been one week and i lost almost 3! just know you will have to restrict your calories more and drink ALOT of water but you can do it!
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Watch your diet and keep within your calories and get a lot of exercise in walk for at least an hour a day.
  • cindysharp1
    Options
    I don't think that is unrealistic. My plan is set up for me to lose 1 pound a week and I usually lose 2 to 3 pounds in a week depending on my eating habits and exercise for the week goes. If I have a really good week the weight falls off. But with all the holidays I am happy with 1 pound a week.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    not at all. I have lost 6-10 lbs a month since november, 2lbs a week is the healthier way to do it
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    My goal is set to 1.5 but I always lose 2 sometimes more each week.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I usually have a terrible time at loosing weight but since I have started using MFP (be on for about a week now), i have lost 2lbs. I know doctors say 2-3lb per week is fine. So thats why i was confused. The food tool and exercise tool on here is so helpful!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    a pound per week is ideal. It is do able and slow and steady. 10 lbs a month isn't slow and steady...but if you are already on average losing big numbers is do able. If not..you need to figure out what your body can do. It's all about trial and error really. If you look at the numbers and try it out to try and lose the 2 lbs a week and see where it gets ya.

either way you'll get there and that is what counts.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's definitely realistic for a while. Just be sure to realize that as you get closer to your goal weight the pounds will come off slower, so that's natural. But for now, it's definitely a good target.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    Nope, not at all. When I went to the doctor on January 31, I weighed 364lbs. I've *never* been that heavy and hearing her tell me that I've reached "morbid obesity" really knocked some sense into me. It took me a couple weeks of soul searching, but on Feb 13, I finally decided to make the change for myself. Not because the doctor said to, or because I'm tired of the name calling, the stares, etc. I decided it for ME. My first week was rough & then I found MFP on Feb 19. I fail every day. I won't lie. But I've lost pretty close to 32lbs in almost 4 months. I average anywhere from a 1.5lbs to 2lbs a week. My goal is to weigh less than 300lbs the day my husband and I leave for our 10th wedding anniversary trip to Niagra Falls on October 2. At this current rate, I stand a good chance at meeting that goal, too! So, no. A 2lb loss a week is DEFINITELY not unrealistic!!

Best of luck to you!!
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not at all! Two pounds is what I've been averaging since I started in Feb. Keep up your dieting and exercise and you will get there. Best of luck!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Not at all but just a fore warning . Once you start reaching your ideal weight not MFP ideal weight that loss rate drops pretty quickly. I have some body fat left around my stomach that my body loves to hoard :)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I have my goals set to 2 lbs a week, and I have lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks. There were some weeks, like TOM, that I gained during that week, but lost it right after that week was over. There was one week I only lost 1/2 lbs but the next week I lost 3 lbs.
  • tyg4bless
    tyg4bless Posts: 7
    Options
    what are doing on your weight lost journey? what type of excerise?
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Losing 2lbs a week is a healthy and realistic goal.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your calorie intake everyday, it's possible. I'm new here with tons of questions everyday, but what I've learned just in the past couple of days is just that. When I log in for the end of the day, it tells me how much I'll weigh if everyday was like today....and the past few days I've been seeing it's averageing just under 2 lbs/wk! Before, it was less than 1 lb!

So, like I said...stay within your calorie range and you can do it. Feel free to friend me, I am also at 190 and am 5'2":)
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    what are doing on your weight lost journey? what type of excerise?

Currently, I power walk, about 6 miles per week (and that includes my 21lb infant attach to my back on highly supportive baby carrier), the Skinny B**** DVD workout, as well as Zumba and swimming. We just bought an eliptical but we dont want to take it out until we move in 3 weeks (we are closing on our first home). I am VERY excited to use that!!
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    So, you know how it says you should weight x amount by x date? Well, has it been accurate for those that stick with the calories/carbs and exercise-staying within the food/exercise tool goals?