Reached my goal today!

And now the battle really begins.

I started at 155.6 lbs in April and I'm down to 139.6 today, smashing my goal of 140, lol

I started this journey in 2010 at a SW of 167 which was just a few pounds over my healthy BMI range at 5'8", I went on Weight Watchers and started to exercise and was down to my goal in 2 months. Fast forward 2 years and while keeping up with the exercise, I didn't keep up with the food part and was up to 155 lbs. I found MFP and really liked the "free" part so joined and got back down to goal. Then the same thing happened again. One year later. And again. Another year later.

Same thing over and over. I keep exercising but stop logging and weighing myself. And keep gaining the same stupid 10-15 pounds again.

I really do not want to be in this same boat again in a year! I've learned a lot on this crazy journey and like to think of myself as "battled tested" and ready for victory! Posting here on the maintenance forum is another big goalpost for me.

Replies

• Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    This is me exactly. I lost about 40 pounds years ago and have kept it off except for that 10 pounds. Like you, I do great with the exercising but quit logging and the weight creeps back up. Then I lose it, quit logging...
    I have one pound to go and I really hope I don't have to do this again!
    Congratulations on reaching your goal!! I hope to be there soon!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Sweet! Congrats on reaching your goal.

I'd chart your weight and keep it within 3 pounds of goal - i.e. 137 - 143; diet again as soon as your trend hits 143. Any trending app can show you the tiny calorie adjustments you'll need to stay in the band ... it's often as simple as forgoing a slice of cheese or a piece of bread.

Osric
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    This is me exactly. I lost about 40 pounds years ago and have kept it off except for that 10 pounds. Like you, I do great with the exercising but quit logging and the weight creeps back up. Then I lose it, quit logging...
    I have one pound to go and I really hope I don't have to do this again!
    Congratulations on reaching your goal!! I hope to be there soon!

Thanks so much! Yes it's so hard- maintenance, that is. You'll get here soon- seems like we are both experts on losing- just need to master the next bit now.
  • North44
    Sweet! Congrats on reaching your goal.

I'd chart your weight and keep it within 3 pounds of goal - i.e. 137 - 143; diet again as soon as your trend hits 143. Any trending app can show you the tiny calorie adjustments you'll need to stay in the band ... it's often as simple as forgoing a slice of cheese or a piece of bread.

Osric

Yep absolutely, that's the plan. I go on a long vacation or something and stop weighing myself. That's the death knell. I really, really need to continue weighing myself to stay within that band and therefore adjust as necessary. Thanks so much for your input.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Congratulations!!! :)
  • North44
    Congratulations!!! :)

Thank you!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    #notthistime!

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I am 5'8" and started at 155. I would like to smash through 140 - just to prove that I can!! - but I'm at 141-142 and finding it hard to care. Yikes.

Congratulations on seeing 139!!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,133 Member
    Congrats and you know exactly what to do. You are now wiser. You will keep it off!!!
  • North44
    #notthistime!

You got that right!
  • North44
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I am 5'8" and started at 155. I would like to smash through 140 - just to prove that I can!! - but I'm at 141-142 and finding it hard to care. Yikes.

Congratulations on seeing 139!!

Thanks- those last few pounds were the hardest. I bounced around at 142 and thereabouts for weeks. An extended visit to family didn't help. But yeah, when you're so close it's almost like being at maintenance, not such a big deal but I have to tell you, seeing that number one the scale today was such a pleasant surprise!

Hang in there!

• North44
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    Congrats and you know exactly what to do. You are now wiser. You will keep it off!!!

Thank you so much- I really hope so! I really have learned a lot from my mistakes.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Congratulations on exceeding your goal!! I have been in maintenance for 5 months now, and this was my first time reaching my goal (lost 85 lbs.). I continue doing the same things I was doing while trying to lose the weight, which basically means I workout most days of the week, I eat moderately healthy (enjoy my treats and carbs), drink plenty of water, weigh/measure everything I eat & drink, and log everything. When I started, I pretty much convinced myself that I would have to do this for the rest of my life, and it has truly become second nature to me. I can't imagine not logging in MFP.

Wishing you all the best in maintenance.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Congratulations!
  • North44
    Congratulations on exceeding your goal!! I have been in maintenance for 5 months now, and this was my first time reaching my goal (lost 85 lbs.). I continue doing the same things I was doing while trying to lose the weight, which basically means I workout most days of the week, I eat moderately healthy (enjoy my treats and carbs), drink plenty of water, weigh/measure everything I eat & drink, and log everything. When I started, I pretty much convinced myself that I would have to do this for the rest of my life, and it has truly become second nature to me. I can't imagine not logging in MFP.

Wishing you all the best in maintenance.

Congrats on your loss! Keep up the good work. I have to come to grips with the fact that to control my weight I need to monitor my calorie intake and weigh myself regularly.
  • North44
    Congratulations!

Thank you!
  • cathykb
    cathykb Posts: 3 Member
    Congratulations on your accomplishment.
  • Congrats!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Congrats :smile: I think most of us have experienced what you have...the key is to have a goal range, weigh in regularly and if you see the trend going upwards take action. Thats what I've been doing for the past two years and in my whole life this is the longest I've been able to keep to my goal weight (and easily too :smiley: ).

I've read numerous times that if you keep the weight off for 3 years then you are set to remain that weight for life and I firmly believe that is true..

Enjoy maintenance :smile:
  • mkkcp
    mkkcp Posts: 9 Member
    I recommend listening to the Half Size Me podcast: http://www.halfsizeme.com/category/podcast/ Heather is focused on maintenance and is really inspirational. BTW, congratulations! :)