Help switching mindset.

Options
The_Wallflower
The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
edited September 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So I've lost 225lbs and I'm now at goal. Below goal actually. I went from 355lbs to 130lbs. I've had a tummy tuck and an arm lift.

My question is. How do I switch my mind to maintenance instead of loss!?! I've "dieted" my entire life so it's hard. I don't want to get out of hand or comfortable and start putting weight back on. How do I do this??

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Do the same thing you've been doing, just with some more calories in your daily calorie budget than you had when you were losing weight.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the loss! Amazing :)
    Most people transition by adding 100 calories each week until they maintain. Before you had a mindset of 'I need to get to 130' or 'I need to lose these last few pounds. Now it needs to be a mindset of 'I need to stay in the 130 range'.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Wow you're amazing.

For me? I haven't switched the mindset at all. I don't think I ever will. But my goal is not that aggressive so I'll probably always try to lose a couple more pounds.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to keep setting goals and working towards those. I still have weight loss goals, but they're at the very bottom of my (long!) list.

Congrats on your loss!!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Do the same thing you've been doing, just with some more calories in your daily calorie budget than you had when you were losing weight.

This. I continue to count calories in maintenance as I was never this size in my life. And find a new goal to work towards, but fitness related rather than weight loss. If you run, set a goal of being faster or running longer. If you like strength training focus on increasing weights and/or building muscle. Sign up for a fitness related event sure as a marathon or triathlon.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Massive, massive kudos to you!

I agree with the suggestion to add in 100 calories for a week, then add in another 100 the following, and see how things go. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable upping by 200, sticking with it for 2-3 weeks, then upping again for 2-3 weeks to see where that takes you. Kind of depends on what your current deficit is right now.

Keep in mind that your weight WILL fluctuate. Give yourself a range that you're comfortable with, remember that water weight is a mean, mean thing, and enjoy being able to eat more!

~Lyssa
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Wow you're amazing.

For me? I haven't switched the mindset at all. I don't think I ever will. But my goal is not that aggressive so I'll probably always try to lose a couple more pounds.

^^ I'm the same. I don't think that I'll ever be really satisfied. Maybe I'll shift goals to be more fitness related - I guess I've been doing this all along, but as secondary goals.

Bravo on your incredible transformation - your success is truly admirable and humbling.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    So I've lost 225lbs and I'm now at goal. Below goal actually. I went from 355lbs to 130lbs. I've had a tummy tuck and an arm lift.

My question is. How do I switch my mind to maintenance instead of loss!?! I've "dieted" my entire life so it's hard. I don't want to get out of hand or comfortable and start putting weight back on. How do I do this??

CONGRATS!

The important thing which helped me switch my focus is to have new goals that's more fitness oriented rather than weight / nsv oriented. ie. run a 5K, build muscles, etc.

Continuing to have specific goals will help you to stay focus & motivated and eventually your focus will just organically shift from losing to maintaining.

Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

^^ this

Congrats on an amazing weight loss :smile:
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I cannot imagine how it must have felt to started with such a long way to go; the motivation and dedication you had to have had is, as someone else said, humbling.

Even though I am notionally in maintenance, I am often quietly thinking, "well, if I lost three more that would make it 75 lbs lost...". I am finding that it takes a good bit of time to overcome the weight loss mindset, especially if you have been as spectacularly successful as you have. I think all you can really do is enjoy the new you, enjoy eating all the foods, but be mindful that this is where you want to be. If you can lose all that weight, you must know exactly what you are doing. Find something else to succeed at and replace the high you get from weekly weight loss success! It might be another diet or fitness goal, or it might be completely removed from that. You can pretty much do anything- you obviously always could.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an amazing achievement!

I found switching to maintenance was tougher mentally at first. I felt a bit adrift and I felt more alone than while I was losing, but it was a phase, and I got through it.

I've found the most useful things in maintenance are to weigh myself daily, track the trend and go into deficit if I go over my target range. I added in calories a bit at a time until my weight loss stopped, and played around until I found a calorie target which works for me.

I also rewarded myself by signing up for a gym membership.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!! I have been wondering the same thing!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well done! Its amazing that you achieved the new healthier you. I agree with all that's been said before and I'd add this: try not to think of "weight loss" change it to "healthy lifestyle" not an easy transition I know but it can be done. Now, when I do talk about my weight loss, I try to put it in terms like "improving my health" or "I decided to get healthy" instead of "I decided to lose weight". I know that sound pedantic but after a while I stopped thinking so much about maintaining weight and I now think more and more about being healthy.

If I had to think I'll have to diet for the rest of my life I'd be like "Oh gawd!" but if I think "I want to stay healthy" - well that's a whole lot better :-)
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else has said, you've done an amazing job. Something very few people have done successfully, first of all take some time to let that sink in. You are part of an elite group of people and should be extremely proud of what you've accomplished.

And you're exactly right in realizing that you're about to enter a new phase of your life that's going to require a different mindset, different goals, and different challenges. My weight loss was nowhere near as dramatic as yours, I lost 45 pounds over 6-8 months and have maintained for a year and a half.

Maintenance was pretty easy for me, I'd gotten used to eating less. For a while it was actually hard to stop the loss so I think you're smart to be thinking ahead about it. I went too low for my personal tastes and am now trying to put weight ON (in the form of muscle) and will tell you that gaining is harder than losing or maintaining.

Others have already suggested changing goals to more fitness related ones and I agree. I found starting a progressive load weightlifting program was fantastic for filling out loose skin with muscle. And keep tracking but start learning how to watch and manage your macros to maximize your nutrition.

Think of it this way, you had an old beat up car in the barn that barely ran, was rusty and full of dents. You've gotten the rust removed, the dents pulled and repaired. Now you just need to give it a new paint job and fine tune the engine!

Congratulations!!!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The mechanics of switching to maintenance is easy. Just eat more calories. The emotional aspect is difficult. I don't know about you, But I was overweight my entire life, so after losing 100 lbs (alright 98, rounding up) I had a hard time upping my calories at first. My irrational mind was terrified I'd gain weight back. My rational mind told me to increase calories, but It took me a few months to get out of the weight loss mindset. I forced myself to eat more calories, and over time, the irrational fear of gaining weight back is mostly gone. I still log my calories, because otherwise, I would gain the weight back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    congrats on the loss...

i will say that this is a common issue and i think it has a lot to do with people being overly obsessed with some arbitrary number on the scale actually being the goal...when I talk to people about wellness and being healthy and fit, i try to get them to develop other goals and i try to put the focus on overall health and wellness and doing the things that healthy and fit people do with weight management simply being a nice bi-product of that.

the problem with making weight the ultimate goal is that eventually you don't really have anything to work towards...you get to the finish line and like you're saying, "now what?" conversely, when your goals are simply geared towards health and wellness and doing the things that healthy and fit people do...well, you can always improve...you can always improve your nutrition...you can always improve your fitness, etc...there isn't really a finish line there.

for most, including myself, establishing fitness goals is a big part it. i didn't really start participating in events and really establishing fitness goals until after i had lost my weight and realized basically what you're realizing now...and asking myself, "now what."
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't think your mindset needs to change as much as you think.

When diets fail - when people lose then regain - it's because they stop checking what they're eating and just go back to how they ate pre-diet. That food intake made them put weight on before, and it'll do so again.

When losing, I logged all my food and exercise carefully and accurately. I stuck to my calorie goal. I weighed myself weekly and logged the weight. If I went over my calorie goal one day then I went under the next and vice versa.

In maintenance I still do all those things. The only differences are that (1) the goal is 1,700 calories a day instead of 1,200 and (2) a stay-the-same is a win on weigh-in day instead of a loss. These are actually minor points compared to the behaviour and processes above which stay in place.