I'm 19 and feel like I'm 80

Options
I have a horrible family history of health. I have a horrible health history. All in all, I am 19 and feel like I'm 80. I am roughly 193lbs, and my goal is to be in the 130-140 lbs range. But above the weight issues, I need to feel young and alive for the first time in my life. Growing up on Midwestern food and exercise as a punishment never helped that. Any support, advice, motivation, etc would be wonderful through my journey!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are only 19 and you are making the right choice to do this NOW! You have 60+ years left to enjoy the results of your commitment. If you haven't already done so, read all the sticky posts at the top of each forum here on MFP. They have tons of info and tips. Remember how you feel today and let that be your motivation on your journey.
  • beachnut666
    beachnut666 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have felt like you do. I started this journey in June and I walk two miles 4-5 times a week and that has given me a great feeling alone. I am down 20lbs and feel better already. But doing the walking and logging my food has helped me stay focus. I started doing this with two other girlfriend but they didn't log their food in religiously like I did, but they are at least still walking with me. But I am the one with the most weight loss. So my suggestion is to log what u eat and just walk and u will be successful. Good luck
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I feel very similarly :/ Good luck to us both!
  • trevorhamlett
    trevorhamlett Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will be here to support all of you guys! I'm excited that you all have decided to make these changes now. All it takes is hard work, dedication, and support from others. I am striving to be a personal trainer someday so if you have any questions or need any advice let me know! Add me!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Change your mind, change your body....
    There is alot of truth in that. You are young still, so just find the fuel that fires you, mentally. Things that give you joy. Writing in a journal helps get it all out. The negative and the positive things. The negative things on paper is a way of releasing them, and not letting them have power over you. Burning the paper can be symbolic and give it meaning. It sounds silly but it works.
    Losing weight is not the key to happiness...happiness is the key to losing weight...
    That was my past life. So now I say what I mean, and mean what I say. I don't just try. Try gives your mind a "way out" to the commitment. I like the word Persevere. It means you do it, even when its a hard thing. Change is suppose to be messy emotionally. Most people live in "stuck" lives, because changing requires so much effort. But changing and being accountable for everything in your life is powerful.
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible family history of health. I have a horrible health history. All in all, I am 19 and feel like I'm 80. I am roughly 193lbs, and my goal is to be in the 130-140 lbs range. But above the weight issues, I need to feel young and alive for the first time in my life. Growing up on Midwestern food and exercise as a punishment never helped that. Any support, advice, motivation, etc would be wonderful through my journey!

@shaleeninla you'll do amazing, you came to the right place for support and guidance! Add me if you'd like!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step which can sometimes be the hardest, so well done for just being here :)

Now the journey begins. Good luck, you can do it!
  • seraphicdoctor
    seraphicdoctor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are going to feel so much better! It will be hard work but worth it. Even losing a little bit can improve your health pretty dramatically. I wish you the best! friend me if you need more support!
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm only 2 years older than you and I can relate to this, before I started using mfp I felt horrible all the time. I was 205lbs and my bmi put me in the Obese category, I kept getting headaches, I got out of breath walking up steep hills or stairs, sometimes I got out of breath bending over because I had a large stomach. But I've lost 38 lbs now and the different is incredible! Even in the first few weeks you'll notice a huge change. Just losing the weight helps so much, because you don't have to carry all the extra pounds around all day every day.

Good on you for starting this now! I could have stood to lost some weight when I was 19 but I let things get so much worse than they could have been, and I didn't start making changes until this year. Well done you for actively wanting to make changes :)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    When you eat healthy food (ie with lots of fruit and vegies) and you are properly nourished you will feel heaps better. When your fitness is a bit better you will feel heaps better. When you weigh less you will also feel heaps better.

If you work on improving your diet, you will find it easier to lose weight and maintain it. When you lose weight, you will find it easier to start regular exercise.

The corner stone thing i've done to improve my diet was quit sweets because when i ate them that's all i ate most of the time. I've replaced sweets with fruit and vegetables and as i've recently gone vegan, i find it very easy now to ensure i get my fruit and vegies

When you see how much better you feel from eating fruit and vegies and varied diet, you will be motivated to keep eating that way.

How difficult you find this depends on your attitude to fruit and veg, how good you are in the kitchen, how organised you can be, and how busy your life is.

it can take some time to work it all out and get it into a perfect machine. Don't panic. Its a process. Give it time. But don't kid yourself, if you want to continue to eat junk food most of the time, you will find this hard.