Black coffee

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised I didn't see anyone suggest to slowly cut back on the cream and Splenda gradually. Your taste will adjust. I got my teenage daughter to cut back from 6 packets of sugar in iced tea to either unsweet tea or maybe half a packet of Splenda.
    I suggested she start by using only 5 the next few times. Then once having 5 tasted "normal" to cut it to 4 and so on. She didn't have any trouble switching to Splenda eventually, but I made the transition years ago to Splenda from sugar by replacing part of the sugar with it little by little to get used to the taste. Then I cut out the sugar completely and cut down on the Splenda exactly I mentioned above. This is how many parents transition their babies from breast milk/formula to cows milk (or whatever milk you use). They often don't like the new milk at first so introducing the change little by little, they don't even notice it.
    I currently don't drink coffee black, but have been using sugar free coffee syrups and am in the process of cutting that back right now because I was getting too used to it and noticed I was needing more to feel like the coffee was just sweet enough.
    I definitely think we can "train" our taste preferences and I personally find it easiest to do it little by little.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a lot more coffee lately, and I don't care about the calories, but for simplicity in logging and whatnot I've been considering switching to just black coffee.
    Question is, do most people aquire the taste relatively quickly? If not I'll probably stick with 1creamer/1splenda per.

Horrible way of thinking... probably why you make similar posts as to why you're not losing weight... Anyways on to the Coffee question.

It takes some time, maybe a week max to adjust to the taste however you'll never want it another way after you switch.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a lot more coffee lately, and I don't care about the calories, but for simplicity in logging and whatnot I've been considering switching to just black coffee.
    Question is, do most people aquire the taste relatively quickly? If not I'll probably stick with 1creamer/1splenda per.

Horrible way of thinking... probably why you make similar posts as to why you're not losing weight... Anyways on to the Coffee question.

Two things, you must have the wrong person because I AM losing weight at about 2.5lbs per week, and also this is a pretty immature thing to say to someone who simply asked how people like their coffee, lol...tbh, I'm betting you're a troll so I probably shouldn't even respond.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if you're going to drink your coffee black, invest in good coffee. :smile: A good blend that's been roasted right will taste lovely on its own. The best coffee I've ever had was a Peruvian blend that was soft and very slightly sweet on its own.

I'll also echo the suggestions upthread: scale down on sweetener/sugar slowly if going straight to black is too abrupt a transition. I used to sweeten my coffee (with artificial sweetener, because it was easier to portion out) and put milk in it, then I quit using sweetener but kept the milk (which softens the taste), and now I'm 60/40 milk/no milk. Also, if there's no milk, only creamer or full-fat cream, then I'll drink my coffee black since I can't stand the greasy aftertaste. It's also the reason I'll never ever try bulletproof coffee! :p I also never use syrups (I don't drink Starbucks/specialty coffees either) because I find them too sickly for my taste.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I'm surprised I didn't see anyone suggest to slowly cut back on the cream and Splenda gradually. Your taste will adjust. I got my teenage daughter to cut back from 6 packets of sugar in iced tea to either unsweet tea or maybe half a packet of Splenda.
    I suggested she start by using only 5 the next few times. Then once having 5 tasted "normal" to cut it to 4 and so on. She didn't have any trouble switching to Splenda eventually, but I made the transition years ago to Splenda from sugar by replacing part of the sugar with it little by little to get used to the taste. Then I cut out the sugar completely and cut down on the Splenda exactly I mentioned above. This is how many parents transition their babies from breast milk/formula to cows milk (or whatever milk you use). They often don't like the new milk at first so introducing the change little by little, they don't even notice it.
    I currently don't drink coffee black, but have been using sugar free coffee syrups and am in the process of cutting that back right now because I was getting too used to it and noticed I was needing more to feel like the coffee was just sweet enough.
    I definitely think we can "train" our taste preferences and I personally find it easiest to do it little by little.

It probably wasn't suggested because there isn't much you can cut down to when you're already at 1 cream and 1 splenda.

1/2 a creamer and 1/2 a Splenda? Splenda is highly sweet, a half packet still provides a good deal of sweetness. There's no reason anyone has to dump the whole packet in or whole little creamer cup...
  • AspenDan
    Options
    Russandol wrote: »
    IMHO, if you're going to drink your coffee black, invest in good coffee. :smile: A good blend that's been roasted right will taste lovely on its own. The best coffee I've ever had was a Peruvian blend that was soft and very slightly sweet on its own.

I'll also echo the suggestions upthread: scale down on sweetener/sugar slowly if going straight to black is too abrupt a transition. I used to sweeten my coffee (with artificial sweetener, because it was easier to portion out) and put milk in it, then I quit using sweetener but kept the milk (which softens the taste), and now I'm 60/40 milk/no milk. Also, if there's no milk, only creamer or full-fat cream, then I'll drink my coffee black since I can't stand the greasy aftertaste. It's also the reason I'll never ever try bulletproof coffee! :p I also never use syrups (I don't drink Starbucks/specialty coffees either) because I find them too sickly for my taste.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to buy some high quality coffee online =)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

It probably wasn't suggested because there isn't much you can cut down to when you're already at 1 cream and 1 splenda.

1/2 a creamer and 1/2 a Splenda? Splenda is highly sweet, a half packet still provides a good deal of sweetness. There's no reason anyone has to dump the whole packet in or whole little creamer cup...

Personal preference? That seems like a good enough reason.

Sorry, I actually thought OP was looking for ideas on how to transition to drinking the black coffee he currently doesn't have a taste for. My bad
  • AspenDan
    Options

Sorry, I actually thought OP was looking for ideas on how to transition to drinking the black coffee he currently doesn't have a taste for. My bad

You're actually correct but...ya know how threads evolve haha..today I'm drinking coffee black, gonna try to stick it out for a week.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

You're actually correct but...ya know how threads evolve haha..today I'm drinking coffee black, gonna try to stick it out for a week.

Yeah, I knew what your question was. ;)

You may be very successful with the "cold turkey" method. That's great because you get to what you want that much faster. Best of luck with it. Sounds like you are totally committed to it which is the most important part anyway. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Good coffee makes it easier to go black. Starbucks I cannot do black. Peets I can. Caribou no. Gevalia no.
    Local roasters or small batch roasters blacker the black the better :) You can also get flavored ground coffee. I have a caramel brownie light roast waiting for me after we finish the gevalia
  • AspenDan
    Options

More than anything your threads turn out a certain way, want to guess why?

Because troll post negative things like "that's why you're not losing weight" when I am losing weight no worries, and the topic is about coffee anyway..but that's the internet for ya, can't let that sillyness get to you =)
  • AspenDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you think my posts are the only ones that eventually degrade into negativity, you clearly only read mine.
    Yesterday someone wrote a post about how they felt too heavy to work out and someone else told them to suck it up and stop being so out of shape
    ...basically, trolls take good, productive threads and personally offend people till it turns toxic, like you're obviously doing.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    But we've all gotten/shared some really great, helpful information from this thread so if you want to push this till it gets closed, I guess that's your perogative.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I learned to drink coffee black at a very early age. My Grandpa always took his coffee black, and when I asked him why he didn't add milk and sugar like my mom did, he told me that if you learn to drink your coffee black, nobody could ever mess it up trying to fix you a cup, and when you get somewhere that is out of milk/creamer and/or sugar, you don't have anything to worry about.
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to take cream and sugar. Switched to black about 25 years ago, it's an acquired taste and must be fresh:)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Ah the trolls. Imagine how sad a troll you have to be to hang about a fitness and weight loss site. I think you need to stop feeding this one @danieltsmoke - it seems like a hangry one ;)

Anyhoo... coffee.

I went cold turkey on quitting sugar and I suspect, if I allowed myself, I could start adding it again tomorrow and be happy about it. I enjoy coffee without sugar, but I really loved it with sugar. I made the choice to give it up, but even though it has been years, I think sugar is still nicer.

Adding milk seems to be a mental thing to me. The dark depths of that coffee mug freak me out without it.

Good luck!
  • AspenDan
    Options
    , he told me that if you learn to drink your coffee black, nobody could ever mess it up trying to fix you a cup, and when you get somewhere that is out of milk/creamer and/or sugar, you don't have anything to worry about.

That's actually some awesome info hahaha
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    But we've all gotten/shared some really great, helpful information from this thread so if you want to push this till it gets closed, I guess that's your perogative.

It's the feeding the troll that I think leads to threads closing. It's hard to resist.

I hope no one jumps on board more than we already fell for. I won't be saying another word about it.

Resist! Stick to the topic.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love black coffee and prefer it depending on the brand! I recommend getting a bean grinder and getting yourself some good quality coffee. Then youll be able to appreciate the ritual of making a really good cup of coffee and you'll find that the better quality stuff is tastier and doesn't require sugar!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I switched to black coffee after joining this site. I had no idea my 6-7 cups of coffee per day were approximately 200 calories each. What a wake up call. I did not think I could could go black but after two cups I was sold. It has been over 2 years now.