Re-Feed days

Options
Im not sure how many others put a "Re-Feed" day (or 2) into their diet but I did mine this weekend and I haven't had two better days in the gym in a month. Weight and reps agent up on everything. My energy level is through the roof, hunger pangs are gone (for now ;) ) and thanks to those fat cells releasing that ever important leptin, my metabolism is rockin again. Like they say about "Re-Feed's" one step back, 2 steps forward. Does anyone else throw in one of these days? I do one every 2nd to 3rd week.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My PT advised re-feeds but according to the weight loss category, re-feeds aren't thought very highly of. They supposedly ruin your weekly deficit so I'm kind of conflicted about whether to do them or not. My PT advised twice a month. I'm unsure as to what to do about this as I don't want to effect my fat loss..! I like what you're saying about the renewed energy in the gym, that sounds like a definite plus.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My PT advised re-feeds but according to the weight loss category, re-feeds aren't thought very highly of. They supposedly ruin your weekly deficit so I'm kind of conflicted about whether to do them or not. My PT advised twice a month. I'm unsure as to what to do about this as I don't want to effect my fat loss..! I like what you're saying about the renewed energy in the gym, that sounds like a definite plus.

Everything in the weight loss/exercising community is going to have point counter-point so I'll always try anything once (if the science is sound) and if it works for me, great. If not, time to move on. Re-Feeds (if done correct and cleanly) can boost your metabolism and almost do a sort of "kick start" on your fat loss again. This is one of many good reeds about it http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/refeeds-for-fat-loss-the-science-behind-leptin.html
    There are many articles about leptin and re feeds. A quick google will give you plenty to read. It's tough to go over that calorie intake, I know
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    tank1539 wrote: »

Everything in the weight loss/exercising community is going to have point counter-point so I'll always try anything once (if the science is sound) and if it works for me, great. If not, time to move on. Re-Feeds (if done correct and cleanly) can boost your metabolism and almost do a sort of "kick start" on your fat loss again. This is one of many good reeds about it http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/refeeds-for-fat-loss-the-science-behind-leptin.html
    There are many articles about leptin and re feeds. A quick google will give you plenty to read. It's tough to go over that calorie intake, I know

Thanks for this, I'll definitely check out that article. My PT said exactly what you just said about the kick start to fat loss - I think my only issue with the re-feed would be the temptation to eat purposefully high fat and unhealthy foods just because I *can*. If I can work out a way to do this without eating in an unhealthy way, I'll definitely give this a go. Thanks for the post :)
  • tank1539
    Options

Thanks for this, I'll definitely check out that article. My PT said exactly what you just said about the kick start to fat loss - I think my only issue with the re-feed would be the temptation to eat purposefully high fat and unhealthy foods just because I *can*. If I can work out a way to do this without eating in an unhealthy way, I'll definitely give this a go. Thanks for the post :)

Don't look at it as a "cheat" day. I look at it as a structured part of my diet. My fat and protein macros stay the same and all extra calories come from doubling my carbs with high-glycemic carbs, bananas are my favorite :) and the frequency of Re-Feeds has to do with BF% as well. The higher the BF% the less frequent they are and vice versa.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I plan to do a re-feed every 6-8 weeks. I did one about 6 weeks in so I'll have another at the end of this month. I noticed very positive results. I increased carbs, protein and fat as I'm diabetic so I do have to cap those carbs (sadly). I had a pretty big loss (~3 lbs) at my weigh-in after the re-feed day.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    I plan to do a re-feed every 6-8 weeks. I did one about 6 weeks in so I'll have another at the end of this month. I noticed very positive results. I increased carbs, protein and fat as I'm diabetic so I do have to cap those carbs (sadly). I had a pretty big loss (~3 lbs) at my weigh-in after the re-feed day.

Brilliant, I'll definitely think about doing this later on this month in that case.
  • tank1539
    Options

That's awesome, congratulations! The mental boost is fantastic too!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    If I do a refeed it's only up to maintenance, not going past that. I'll throw one in a couple times a month. Hasn't seem to hurt my weight loss so far and the energy in the gym over the next couple days is quite high.

In my opinion, there might be a disconnect in the weight loss section as to what a refeed is. My definition is to just hit maintenance. I've seen some others that go calorie crazy on a refeed day, which, may impact their overall weight loss for that week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I do a refeed it's only up to maintenance, not going past that. I'll throw one in a couple times a month. Hasn't seem to hurt my weight loss so far and the energy in the gym over the next couple days is quite high.

In my opinion, there might be a disconnect in the weight loss section as to what a refeed is. My definition is to just hit maintenance. I've seen some others that go calorie crazy on a refeed day, which, may impact their overall weight loss for that week.

That's pretty much how I do it. I'm eating at maintenance once every week to 10 days right now.
  • tank1539
    Options

The way that I've researched it is that on a Re-Feed your goal should be to bring your leptin levels and other hormones back to normal. Research shows that dietary Fat has little to no effect on leptin and protein's effect isn't much better but high glycemic carbs have a profound effect on leptin levels. Just so we're all on the same page about leptin
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=10875
    Or
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptin
  • piperdown44
    Options

The way that I've researched it is that on a Re-Feed your goal should be to bring your leptin levels and other hormones back to normal. Research shows that dietary Fat has little to no effect on leptin and protein's effect isn't much better but high glycemic carbs have a profound effect on leptin levels. Just so we're all on the same page about leptin
    Or

The extra cals that take me up to maintenance are mostly carbs. One good sized bagel usually does the trick.
  • tank1539
    Options

Or

The extra cals that take me up to maintenance are mostly carbs. One good sized bagel usually does the trick.

I always go for extra bananas, hard pretzel and my favorite, rye bread. Mmmm
  • piperdown44
    Options

Or

I like rye in one thing.......whiskey, other than that...nope. And I'm allergic to bananas. Hard pretzels are okay.

• tank1539
    Options

Or

I like rye in one thing.......whiskey, other than that...nope. And I'm allergic to bananas. Hard pretzels are okay.

Hahaha! I here ya on the whiskey good sir.