When you're thin....

Options
2»

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm still obese but feel it easily when I lie on my tummy. It's weird!
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    Haha I am so happy to see this post. I started to notice this a few months ago when I got near my goal weight. I immediately freaked out, started googling, and then texted the thinnest person I knew to see what she said.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've never seen or heard of anything like this
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can see this when i lay on my back. I am not thin, tho.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Not me. Even when I only weighed 103 I did not have that.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    can you feel and see a pulse in your abdomen? It's freaking me out a little!

Yes! It always creeps me out when it does that and I can see it, but I know it's my pulse.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    stormyview wrote: »
    Yes! It's so prominent that I can't rest a book or even my arms holding a book there to read. It jostles my book/my arms up and down a lot. I'm told it's normal.

Same!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's normal.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    I'm fat and I can feel that sometimes. It's your abdominal aorta, one of the largest arteries in your body, and it lies against the back of the abdominal cavity, just to the left of the spine.
  • katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that it's normal! I didn't notice it at all when I was bigger. Thanks for the reassurance!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I dont fee any pulse or quiver and i can see veins on my abdomen and obliques.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I dont fee any pulse or quiver and i can see veins on my abdomen and obliques.

The pulse doesn't come from those veins; it comes from the descending aorta in the back of the abdomen. It is more easily felt in women than in men who are more 'built' in the abdomen because muscle doesn't transmit the pulse as well as soft tissue does. ( think of how ripples move through water as compared to vibrations through more solid matter)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    This is why heavily pregnant women aren't meant to sleep on their backs, so it doesn't get compressed :-)
  • BigDaddyFred06
    BigDaddyFred06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wish I was a "cardio cowboy " but God blessed me with a jelly roll spray tan
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've got one too. Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed it before!! (For some reason, can't think why :) )
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you have a family history of collagen disorders (like, but not limited to, Ehlers Danlos, hypermobility or Marfans) or more specifically aortic aneurism, also if you have very low blood pressure (routinely dizzy or very high heart rate when standing and/or while performing other various non-exercise actions) then stay on the safe side and get it checked out by ultrasound. I fell into several of the above categories and my doctor had me go and get it examined. Turned out I was fine! But there will need to be regular checks every two years because the pulse can cause "stretching" (to put it in crude lay person terms) and that might lead to aneurism later in life.

If you don't know if you fall into the above categories and you have thoroughly examined your family history then it's probably safest to ask your doctor about it just in case. An ultrasound is pretty quick and painless and great for peace of mind!
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i thought everyone could feel it, not only skinny people
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm not what you'd call "thin" but yes, I can feel the pulse on my abdomen. You just have to know where the pulse points are to feel in the right place.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This probably has something to do with genetics as well. I haven't noticed a change since getting smaller, but I'm not "thin", just average. I do wanna say, I've always been able to visibly see the pulse in my wrists, no matter what my weight. I don't think that's very common either. So I'm guessing some people might never see their abdominal pulse no matter their weight, just depending on how veiny they are.
  • rrosasco
    rrosasco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To echo what qubetha said, a new systematic review published on small abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) recommends screening for AAA; it also indicates that patients with small AAA are at higher risk for other cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases.

Bath MF, Gokani VJ, Sidloff DA, et al. Systematic review of cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular death in patients with a small abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg 2015;102(8):866-872.