Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm not doing this anymore

Maybe this is something that only a parent would get.
So I would go out to eat with my family, and no doubt I would end up finishing what they did not eat (Wife and 2 little guys (8, 12)) Man.. I just really hated to throw that away knowing it cost good money...and I'm not like broke or anything..just..well..you know.
So one of the things that I have been NOT doing since I started my diet is that.
I didn't even really think about it till the other day when I was at Chick-fila..my wife was like "Do you want the rest of my sandwich"..my first inclination was "Hell yeah I want the rest of that sandwich!" BUT instead I said..."Thats the devil half a sandwich! I want none of it!" :)
(BTW for those of you that don't know me, I really don't think that the devil has anything to do with that sandwich, I just joke a lot)
Guess the point is..don't finish other peoples stuff.

Replies

• heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    I had to change that mindset too. I wasn't eating other people's food, but I felt bad throwing food away. I realized that it was paid for either way, but throwing it away when I was done was going to be more of a benefit than if I ate it. Good mindset!
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Good advice. Every little bit helps!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Way to go! All the little things add up and that's not so little! I love that they have calories on their menu board now.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I don't know how, but somehow I became a plate-cleaner, too. Usually just my own (you know, finishing ungodly large restaurant portions) but sometime also finishing up for my son. Pretty sure this was part of my weight-gaining problem.

Now I am not shy about splitting my meal in half and asking for a to-go box (and for my son's leftovers, too)--less waste, and not so much waist for me, either. :smile:
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    When I was little, people still smoked in restaurants. My Nana was a smoker and a very thin person - the minute she had eaten what she wanted from her plate she would light up, and ash into her plate - so she wouldn't pick from it. Gross, I know - but it kept her from eating another bite :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I hate food waste, I'd have taken it for later. Well done for not eating it :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Its hard, for year mom said to "clear your plate". The wife said "there is not enough to save, go ahead and finish it". I have reduced what goes on my plate never go back for more. What gets thrown out or saved has nothing to do with what I eat anymore
  • heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    I also started splitting meals at restaurants with my daughter. Easy on the calories & the wallet
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I hear you. My daughter didn't finish her ice cream sundae the other day... and I left it alone. It's not always easy though!
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Same as mitch16 here. Now I plan on taking at least half my meals out, home. Either I eat it for lunch the next day or hubby eats later that night lol. I just hate to waste food. I'm sure from growing up with not much but love. :)
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Thinking back on it I really do suspect that was what was behind a lot of my weight gain...you know I was eating one and a half meals at a time... sneaks up on you.... Well the sneaking days are done
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Lord I love chick-fila, 2 thumbs up for sayin no to that ;)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Eh, I'd have eaten it and logged it. But I'm a university student so I'm a lover of free food ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My little children used to automatically hand me their toast crusts.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Geez, this is how I gained a lot of the weight I have right now. Eating my wife's left overs. Bad habit to get into! My step daughter always gave me her pizza crusts. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hey...I thought the French fries I steal from my fiance's plate had no calories...???
  • katiegud
    katiegud Posts: 25 Member
    I've been splitting stuff with my daughter for this exact reason. It helps a lot. Half a kid's meal isn't a lot of food!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Oh yeah. I am a notorious leftover fry eater. It is soooo hard for me to throw those French fries in the trash- for several reasons- I love them, seems a waste, and they've been paid for. I can really relate! I've done it with other food too- even my own leftovers lol. Sometimes I have to ask one of my family members to physically move the plate from my reach.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @North44 , about asking family members to move the plate, I ask for this with garlic toast.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    edited September 2015
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @North44 , about asking family members to move the plate, I ask for this with garlic toast.

I hate it when one of my kids doesn't eat his/her garlic toast. It kills me! Lol
    How can they leave that buttery toasty piece of deliciousness on the plate and not even be tempted? Baaaah!