Working out after a tattoo?

Options
Hi!

I just got color done on my back tattoo and wanted to know when I could start working out again? Got the outline done on August 4th and worked out two days later (no weights just cardio) but now my tattoo artist said to wait 2 weeks...it has been one week today and tattoo has already scabbed up and they have fallen...can I do my normal elliptical without hurting it? Also, better to wear a shirt and let that soak up the sweat or just a workout bra? I am having workout withdrawals and need my happy endorphins to kick in! Thanks!

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have never taken time off from working out after having extensive work done, and it's always healed fine. I can't think of a single reason why elliptical work why impact healing?
  • TEDRandall
    TEDRandall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I know sweating is not good for it but last time I would shower right after working out. I want my tattoo to heal nicely but I also want to continue working out! I figured since I'm past the scabbing stage I should be more than ok...thanks again for your reply!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Even sweating should not impact how it heals ... I mean, it is on your skin and skin sweats! The only issue I can think of is if it was still in the scabby stage and it was rubbing on a bra line or something. But again, I don't see that really being any worse with a sports bra vs regular bra.

I think you're fine! Just keep it clean, keep it moisturized, and don't pick the scabs! Congrats on your new ink!!
  • TEDRandall
    Options
    Lol I have actually been pinning my bra up so it doesn't rub on it (the tattoo ends right on my lower bra line) but last time I worked out without a bra...we have a home gym so not headlighting anyone :) thanks again for your reply!
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a shop and have many tattoos. You shouldnt have any problems doing any workouts except for being sore in that area from the trauma to the skin.
  • TEDRandall
    Options
    Thank u! I figured since it's still sensitive I will wait another week to start weights and floor exercises again :)