Going to the Gym on holiday

Options
2»

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I always take my kit. We have a campervan so not usually anywhere near a gym I can use, but sometimes there have been classes and once a run. Generally I run on my own, or be creative. I have kids and have found playgrounds can be good - sandbags left out as markers for football were great, jumping over low beams, obstacle courses etc. when my daughter was small and I was training for an event I did 10m sprints on the beach so I was never far away from her (it was a very big empty beach). There's always a way. Have a great vacation.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I tend to cruise for my vacation, the first two cruises, I took all my gear and used it 4 times.
    Now, I make sure I have solid hiking shoes, and leave the gym stuff behind.
    I would much rather hike a mountain to a waterfall ( couldn't climb stairs for 2 days after that!), snorkel, rappel, zip line, etc, than spend time in the ships gym.

That is me though, and I plan adventurous cruises for us. If it was going to be a more sedate vacation, I would take the bare essentials.

Cheers, h.
  • Queen_Vanellope
    Queen_Vanellope Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i just finished a 4-day vacation. I woke up early and did 30 minutes in the hotel pool every morning. It didn't take away from my relaxation.
    I'm going to Thailand in 5 weeks, for about 8 days, where I will also have a hotel pool to work out in.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I take stuff for running, and last time I went on holiday there was a kettlebell class running so I did that too. I enjoy exercise and I do find it relaxing (afterwards!) so it's part of a break away from work for me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you take your stuff then you have it as an option. By going you can stay on top of it and have less to deal with when you get back. ts a good idea if you do it and as you said it will help you relax more.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I always make working out during a holiday or vacation my highest priority esp bc my eating habits change when I vaca
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm going on holiday next week and aim to bring my gym gear with me; I'll be staying in two hotels, so I'll be making the most of it. I'll also be doing a lot of walking and hiking.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Yep. I train through every vacation. Wouldn't have it any other way. I had the best time running on the cruise ship's track at sunrise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    If there's no gym available, or it's tiny with just a treadmill and a bike, I bring along my suspension trainer to ensure I get some sort of resistance work in. WOSS makes a suspension trainer for under $40 that works just as well as a TRX.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png