I'm not doing this anymore

Options

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    fries in the garbage can? well that just doesn't make any sense to me..
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Take it with you when you are in a restaurant and give it away when you drive home...to the poor hungry begger on the street.

Or when you are home....same thing give it away!
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I get you..I have a really hard time not cleaning my plate..so when someone makes me breakfast with like 1500 cals, I know I'm going to go over that day haha...I just try to work around that particular diet flaw.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I get you..I have a really hard time not cleaning my plate..so when someone makes me breakfast with like 1500 cals, I know I'm going to go over that day haha...I just try to work around that particular diet flaw.

just say no or split your breakfast up in at least 2 portions so for the next day too

A 1500 calorie breakfast is a lot.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im not a fry person, so that doesnt bother me.

we bring home leftovers and it will get eaten later though....
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Good for you :)
    It's small 'wins' like this that add up to a massive success.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is something that only a parent would get.
    So I would go out to eat with my family, and no doubt I would end up finishing what they did not eat (Wife and 2 little guys (8, 12)) Man.. I just really hated to throw that away knowing it cost good money...and I'm not like broke or anything..just..well..you know.
    So one of the things that I have been NOT doing since I started my diet is that.
    I didn't even really think about it till the other day when I was at Chick-fila..my wife was like "Do you want the rest of my sandwich"..my first inclination was "Hell yeah I want the rest of that sandwich!" BUT instead I said..."Thats the devil half a sandwich! I want none of it!" :)
    (BTW for those of you that don't know me, I really don't think that the devil has anything to do with that sandwich, I just joke a lot)
    Guess the point is..don't finish other peoples stuff.

We were always told to eat till your plates are clean. It's a hard habit to get out of. Even now with me trying to lose weight I still look at what my daughter has left and think what a waste. Have to stop myself from eating it.
    But totally agree
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I was raised to clean my plate. My husband and I raised our boys that way too. I am really trying hard now to leave what I don't want or need when I am full. I always clear the table right after eating....no sitting there with nibbling bits to consume while visiting. My husband still cringes when he sees my plate go back with food still on it in a restaurant. But now I eat the healthy part first, and if I leave the huge mound of rice or starch, too dang bad..... It is a chore to overcome ingrained food habits, that's for sure!
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I never understood the clean plate club - that's teaching kids to eat past the point of being full just because you have likely overserved them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think that's a problem a LOT of people have! I still have trouble leaving food on my plate at restaurants because I feel like I'm wasting food. My big thing is that I don't like most leftovers. Reheating a lot of things changes the texture and that really bugs me, so I don't even have the idea to take it home. I'm much better than I used to be, what I mostly do is focus on the meat part first since that's a majority of what you're paying for. At least that way I don't feel quite as bad!
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Luckily I never had that issue. I can't eat or drink anything that someone else has eaten/drank from. Just can't do it. I do not like reheated leftovers from takeout or restaurants either, it is definitely the texture that bugs me lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    The clean your plate concept was around when I grew up in the post WWII, UK, '50's. Food was still rationed, and scarce. We were poor as well, so everything was eaten.
    I was our family garbage can then, and once I had my own family the habit continued. It was, and still is, a real effort not to clean the plate, but like others have said, box it for later.

Now, if those boxes in the fridge are not eaten by the 2nd lunch, they are out.

Well done jsmesflowers, and all who can break a lifetime habit.

Cheers, h.

It also took a long time for me to learn to just cook less, and avoid homemade left overs.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I used to eat my dd's leftovers too and now I just put them away for her to eat later or toss them. They don't have to go in my body just because no one else is eating them.
    I threw away half a pie today that no one else in the house was eating. Half a pie. I would have never done that a couple of years ago. I don't want to use my calories on that much pie now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My husband is like that. Never wants to waste anything, and if it's something he doesn't want he tries to convince me to eat it. But I'm a "the money is gone whether we eat it or throw it away" type person. I was raised by a "clean your plate" mom and that was one of the first things I changed once I was on my own. I did not raise my children that way.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Someone could write a bestselling diet book on that very concept! I had to stop finishing my kid's food and joining the "clean plate club", in order to lose weight.
  • Faithhopenlove
    Faithhopenlove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    100 percent understand, got toddler twin boys and I just have to tell myself it's ok if I throw away those chicken nuggets, lol ;-)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I used to push my plate over to my boyfriend and he'd happily clean it for me. Since he's started losing as well, I box it, "forget" it at his house, and suggest that he have it for lunch tomorrow. It all works out. ;)
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I used to hate hate hate throwing food out and I too ate off of my kids plates. As if the servings in restaurants aren't already big enough.....
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My little children used to automatically hand me their toast crusts.
    Aww the moment I read that I laughed... that sounds absurdly cute. But yeah, I grew up cleaning my plate so it's SO HARD for me to "waste" any food. No kids yet but I'm sure I'll have to be strong and not eat the proverbial toast crusts myself whenever I have the opportunity.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is something that only a parent would get.
    So I would go out to eat with my family, and no doubt I would end up finishing what they did not eat (Wife and 2 little guys (8, 12)) Man.. I just really hated to throw that away knowing it cost good money...and I'm not like broke or anything..just..well..you know.
    So one of the things that I have been NOT doing since I started my diet is that.
    I didn't even really think about it till the other day when I was at Chick-fila..my wife was like "Do you want the rest of my sandwich"..my first inclination was "Hell yeah I want the rest of that sandwich!" BUT instead I said..."Thats the devil half a sandwich! I want none of it!" :)
    (BTW for those of you that don't know me, I really don't think that the devil has anything to do with that sandwich, I just joke a lot)
    Guess the point is..don't finish other peoples stuff.

very good post. its all these little awful habits that end up on our butt and abs and thighs and,...