Those of you who exercise in the morning

Options
I normally workout in the evening because it works better for my schedule. I don't have any obligations after work so there's no reason for me to get up early to workout when I can do it in the evening.

I've been wanting to switch to the mornings for a while because I have no motivation after work, even though I have the time. Plus it's so hard for me to get out of bed. I finally did it today and it was great! It's a huge relief to not have to think about working out in the evening. Plus I have my evenings to relax and unwind; eat a good meal and read.

It was hard to get through my workout on an empty stomach so I will have to fuel up before I go tomorrow, especially since I'm doing strength training. Also I was super hungry by 11 am (I had an egg sandwich with cheese and avocado for breakfast around 7) and I snacked throughout the day (healthy stuff) because my appetite had increased.

I'm definitely going to keep this up!

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yup I love mornings as well
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have issues working out in the afternoon; if I go home, I won't make it back out to the gym. I lift in the mornings and typically prefer morning workouts, but some afternoons I go to the gym to do cardio. I find I do much better if I pack a bag of clothes and go straight to the gym from work.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My ideal (that I rarely manage) is to drink a large cup of water some 30 minutes before exercise. That cuts the top off any hunger pains, leaves me with a pretty empty stomach for exercise, avoids post-prandial sluggishness, and I am adequately hydrated for my session.

Typically I forget to drink or do not want to wait the 30 minutes. Then I finish up thirsty and occasionally feeling a little fatigued.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I love the morning work outs too.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Morning too.
    I know myself too well. After a long day (11 hours usually), I know I will have very little energy left and will talk myself into skipping a workout. I also have a 45 minute commute one way.
    I love having it out of the way. Any extra activity (I have two dogs to walk in the evening) is icing on the cake.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat twice on the mornings I work out. Apple or banana before, and a normal breakfast after.
  • smcgu67
    smcgu67 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Love morning workouts too! I just get up and out - running/jogging or walking...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that I really have a preference for running first thing in the morning vs. after work. It's more about daylight and the weather for me. Currently, I run in the mornings as soon as I get up. Right now that's 4 miles and it doesn't bother me to do it on an empty stomach. Most of the time I drink a small protein shake (140 calories) immediately following, along with a pint or two of water. After I get to work I'll eat my 250 calorie breakfast and then lunch a few hours later.

On the days I don't run I lift at the company gym immediately after work. I have to pass the gym on my way out of the complex so it's tougher to skip and I have a partner which keeps me more accountable. I go to school in addition to working full time so my reason for skipping out would usually be time-related rather than a lack of motivation, but I sometimes convince myself that I have less time than I really do. :smile:

I'll be switching to running after work once the weather starts to cool down. It's starting to get light too late to make running before work feasible.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings when I can. I like having it done for the day, and see the calorie gain from my runs.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    are you me?

I just started making myself roll out of bed and go for a walk before doing anything else (showering, eating etc.) My plan is to ultimately work up to going to the gym or for a swim. Not sure I could do weights first thing as it takes halfway round the park for me to have my eyes open properly.

I always have great enthusiasm for working out in the evenings some time mid-afternoon, and then I start my hours drive home (towards the pool or gym). mostly I just end up at home because that urge has gone. Mornings are getting good for me though - I'm enjoying being up early (is that possible?) seeing people out first thing, I can gradually wake up and have my own time. By leaving my evenings free it means I can do the impromptu stuff, which might be a bike ride, a dance lass or just a movie with friends.

mornings are my new friend.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have been walking in the morning just because so hot in the afternoons here. Just a short walk due to injury but hoping that will be fixed soon. When able to go back to work I will have to workout in am since long drive and 12 hour shift means won't be home till around 9pm and leave for work at 530am. I love to get my sleep. So it will be up 30-60 early so I can fit in exercise and still get 6.5 hours of sleep. On the days I work.
  • gee_zy
    gee_zy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Today was the my first day of fasted cardio (swimming). Got up at 5:50 swam for 20 min. It felt great!! I recommend it.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer mornings. I like that the only people in the gym are the gossipy old ladies :smile: It also breaks up my commute to work in the morning, which makes driving to work much more enjoyable.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4am ...eat breaksfast ..workout then wake up my daughter to start homeschooling ...I love my mornings :)
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I really miss my 5:45 am body combat classes! It was only once per week, so not a lot of problems. And since it's sooo early (I had work at 8:30 am), I guess my digestive system wasn't awake yet until I'm ready to go home for shower. My other BC classes of the week were around 7 pm, but I actually like this early morning one the best!
    I had similar issue with OP- feeling hungry around 11 am (I ate after shower, so it's around 7:45 am). "Fortunately," I couldn't really stop for snack before lunch so the only thing I can do is to finish up asap & go for lunch.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    are you me?

I just started making myself roll out of bed and go for a walk before doing anything else (showering, eating etc.) My plan is to ultimately work up to going to the gym or for a swim. Not sure I could do weights first thing as it takes halfway round the park for me to have my eyes open properly.

I always have great enthusiasm for working out in the evenings some time mid-afternoon, and then I start my hours drive home (towards the pool or gym). mostly I just end up at home because that urge has gone. Mornings are getting good for me though - I'm enjoying being up early (is that possible?) seeing people out first thing, I can gradually wake up and have my own time. By leaving my evenings free it means I can do the impromptu stuff, which might be a bike ride, a dance lass or just a movie with friends.

mornings are my new friend.

It's awesome! I did it again today but took a 90 minute walk instead of the gym. By the time I got to work my Fitbit said I had burned 700 calories (I also walk 30 mins to get to work)

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. I don't even care about having to get up early anymore because it's such a good trade off.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I really miss my 5:45 am body combat classes! It was only once per week, so not a lot of problems. And since it's sooo early (I had work at 8:30 am), I guess my digestive system wasn't awake yet until I'm ready to go home for shower. My other BC classes of the week were around 7 pm, but I actually like this early morning one the best!
    I had similar issue with OP- feeling hungry around 11 am (I ate after shower, so it's around 7:45 am). "Fortunately," I couldn't really stop for snack before lunch so the only thing I can do is to finish up asap & go for lunch.

Today was much better! I ate two hard boiled eggs after my walk at around 7:30. I ate my avocado, cheese and egg sandwich around 11 (I could have held off longer but it was so good). I took an hour walk after that and ate a Lean Cuisine at 1.

Protein after the workout really helps!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am to go to the gym. I typically go fasted because I've found that I feel sick if I eat anything beforehand. I have some protein as soon as I get home from the gym (around 6:30), but I'm so used to not eating I'm not really hungry, usually.

I LOVE getting up in the morning. The gym is empty, the world is peaceful, I get to see the sunrise every morning.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Welcome to #teammorninggains
  • krhaapala
    krhaapala Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As soon as I wake up in the morning, I hydrate with water, get the little ones ready for school, and have a half of banana and black iced coffee. By the time I put my kid on the school bus, I'm dressed and prepped to do my daily run and lifting (alternate days). Working out in the morning gives me energy to get through the whole day. I was never a morning person but it works with my schedule.