Do you lose more when you eat less processed food?

Options
From a strictly losing weight standpoint, do you find that you lose more with cleaner foods? I agree with calories in vs calories out for the most point, but I seem to lose a bit more when my calories are made up of lean proteins, fruits, veggies, etc., then when I allow myself to have some processed treats, like fiber one bars. I'm still losing either way, just not as quickly with more processed foods. I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer? Anyone had a similar experience?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Most likely a difference in sodium, if not calories. Fat loss will be substantially identical.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Nope. Water weight aside.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I lost weight mostly eating microwave meals, take outs and pub food everyday, then towards the end of my diet started cooking for myself more. Didn't notice any change in my weight loss on either diet.

Processed food tends to have more salt in it which will make you retain water, so that could be making it look like you're losing less when when actually you're not. Also if you're just going by the packaging on processed food then it's quite common to find that the food is actually more calories than it says on the packaging (since it only has to be correct within a certain margin), so you may be eating more calories than if you're cooking and weighing everything yourself.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    No but I weigh the processed foods as they are often heavier than what the package says.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Nope.

samesies.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes. :)

Eating potato chips, or chocolate chip cookies (my two main downfalls) adds a LOT of calories to my diet but neither one keeps me full for very long. So therefore not only am I eating the chip/cookie calories but then I'm starving and eating a bunch of other stuff. By simply eliminating those things -- and white bread, certain cold cereals (especially for breakfast), etc. -- I'm replacing them with foods that have protein and that keep me full till the next meal time. So I don't have any binges or that shaky type of hunger.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons why I'm not a fan of Weight Watchers (I know - Totally unrelated but hear me out) is because one particular week, I got on the scales and had gained 3lbs despite tracking absolutely every thing and not changing my work-out routine. The 'leader' took a look at my 'food diary' (Basically, a piece of paper I wrote every thing down on to show her that I hadn't been naughty during the week) - and called me out for eating a Ready-Meal 2 evenings that week. She said that was the reason for my weight gain - the processed ready-meal's I'd consumed.

Being a few years younger and clueless about the process, I trusted in the leader and from that day on, decided to completely shun all processed foods thinking it would help me reach my goals. (Another reason I'm not a fan of WW - The adverts claim you can eat whatever you like but the leader told me otherwise..).

Anyway, point in case is - as soon as I started on a straightforward CICO plan and exercising regularly, I have dropped 30lbs and I'm not too far off considering maintenance. Do I still eat the occasional ready meal? You bet I do. Do I eat processed foods? YES. It's all about moderation (and yes, I totally get the salt issue in Processed foods). I'm not an expert so if what I'm about to say is wildly inaccurate then forgive me but - eating ready meals at a deficit will not make you 'put on weight'.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Eating potato chips, or chocolate chip cookies (my two main downfalls) adds a LOT of calories to my diet but neither one keeps me full for very long. So therefore not only am I eating the chip/cookie calories but then I'm starving and eating a bunch of other stuff. By simply eliminating those things -- and white bread, certain cold cereals (especially for breakfast), etc. -- I'm replacing them with foods that have protein and that keep me full till the next meal time. So I don't have any binges or that shaky type of hunger.

But then a slower weight loss is still caused by the extra calories you're eating, not by the fact that you're eating processed food. OP was talking about if you're eating the same amount of calories.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

OP was asking about the content of the calories, not the amount. Please don't derail.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone would deny that fats and proteins tend to be more satiating than chips/cookies, cereal, etc.

But that wasn't the question.

From a weight loss standpoint, equivalent calories of food with equivalent caloric output will result in the same weight loss/gain results, regardless of the make up of either the calories in or calories out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Our household loses weight every time we eat at home more. I credit this to lower fat/lower calorie portions.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    DavisFlem wrote: »

It still comes down to self control. Don't blame proceeded foods for the lack of self control.

I'm not. But the OP asked if we lose more from eating less processed food and my answer is "yes". :)
    OP said, "I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer?"

It clearly wasn't about the way of eating question you're using to derail the discussion of whether processed calories cause slower loss than whole calories.

OP understands that eating more will make the situation different. You're just derailing to your low-carb, whole foods hobbyhorse, which has nothing to do with the OP.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I could see being hungrier on a diet with a lot of processed stuff, leading to more eating over your goal. Possibly. That and sodium. But not necessarily since it still depends on what those processed foods are.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

It still comes down to self control. Don't blame proceeded foods for the lack of self control.

I'm not. But the OP asked if we lose more from eating less processed food and my answer is "yes". :)

Not trying to derail the thread at all (to reply to whoever said that above). But if I eat certain types of things I cannot stay within my calories because it makes me too hungry. So from a purely calorie point of view I couldn't do it.
    The OP wasn't about whether you could do it. The question was whether weight loss be different if the OP does it.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Calories in Calories out.

To much calories you gain, less calories you lose.

Science. ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our household loses weight every time we eat at home more. I credit this to lower fat/lower calorie portions.

Because of less sodium.
  • Monklady123
    Options

Not trying to derail the thread at all (to reply to whoever said that above). But if I eat certain types of things I cannot stay within my calories because it makes me too hungry. So from a purely calorie point of view I couldn't do it.
    The OP wasn't about whether you could do it. The question was whether weight loss be different if the OP does it.

Okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. The OP did say "do YOU lose more..." but I guess she meant the general "you".
  • Monklady123
    Options

OP said, "I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer?"

It clearly wasn't about the way of eating question you're using to derail the discussion of whether processed calories cause slower loss than whole calories.

OP understands that eating more will make the situation different. You're just derailing to your low-carb, whole foods hobbyhorse, which has nothing to do with the OP.

lolololol. Go find my reply in the Krispy Kreme donuts thread if you think I'm on a "low carb, whole foods hobby horse". I regulate my carb count because my doctor told me to. And I do eat a donut every once in awhile if I want it. :)

OP, I apologize for what some have called "derailing" your thread. Not intended. I misunderstood your use of "you" and assumed you were asking for our experiences.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Serah87 that might get us a temporary loss, but we seriously lose belly fat which I credit to eating less. I can SEE hubby's belly diminish.
This discussion has been closed.