Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do you grow your own food at all?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to go back and reconsider how you're defining "healthy." The middle of my grocery store has a lot of my cheap essentials. Rice, beans, frozen fruits & veggies, canned veggies, canned tuna, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. Don't get trapped into thinking that all of those cheaper packaged items are unhealthy. Many of them can be included in a balanced diet.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There was a while that I really needed to pinch the pennies in regards to food shopping. In fact, my food allowance was about $20-25/week, except for the "meat week", which I'll explain below. Albeit, it was only for my husband (at the time) and myself but I'm just hoping I can help with some of my experiences.

-I ALWAYS would shop the flyers from the local grocery stores.
    -I would generally buy meat in bulk 1 time a month freezing them into the portions that we would use. I would usually by the cheap cuts, like chicken quarter, finding a bunch of ways to prepare them.
    -One of the stores I would frequent would batch fruits and veggies that were slightly bruised selling a HUGE discounts......sometimes pennies for what it was worth.
    -Buy items that can be used a number of ways......like pasta, rice, chicken, beef, etc.

I know that some of the ideas are just simple but I did want to try to help. :)
  • ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have never gardened. I wanted to start one this year but I just couldn't make it happen. (we had a very hard, life altering summer and I'm trying to get us on our feet)

I do buy tuna, rice, beans, frozen fruits/veggies, oatmeal, peanut butter etc. I meant that I avoid the middle stuff like pop-tarts, chips, cookies, frozen meals etc.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I second the motion to switch to oatmeal from boxed cereals. Sounds like you are making healthy choices but cheerieos, mini wheats, raisin bran etc. are crazy expensive compared to oatmeal. As the previous poster suggested, add things to your oatmeal to make it more interesting. Brown sugar, raisins, maple syrup, apples, peaches, blueberries etc. If your family misses the crunch maybe you could make your own granola too. It's not as hard as it sounds.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.
  • ashleyweatherholtzmathis
    Options
    I've shopped at walmart before to grocery shop and can usually get out of most grocery stores spending about $115 on weekly groceries including some frozen quick foods for the hubby to take to work for his lunches. I try to bargain shop, I look at the circulars and see what's on sale and base a weekly menu off them. I buy chicken breasts and section out a serving for each person in freezer bags, ground turkey and section out 1/2 a pound in separate freezer bags (use half for spaghetti, half for meatball sandwiches). I buy veggies (zucchini, onion, potatoes, mushrooms, spinach), fruit (bananas, strawberries, grapes), rice, pasta, canned crushed tomatoes, canned stewed tomatoes, salsa, kids lunchables are normally a dollar a piece, and I get those to pack in my daughter's lunches, shredded cheeses (for addition to salads or for pasta bakes, omelettes), natural lightly salted popcorn, wheat sub bread, extra virgin olive oil, eggs, turkey sausage crumbles (and only use one serving per batch of scrambled eggs for the family.. goes a lot further and flavors eggs wonderfully) almond milk, both vanilla and chocolate (easier for kids to willingly drink) and waters. We don't do juices, or sodas in our house... strictly water or almond milk and almond milk is only allowed twice a day.

My favorite recipes are:

Breakfast: Turkey sausage/cheese/spinach omelettes (2 eggs, 1/4 serving of turkey sausage, 1/4 cup of spinach, and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.

lunch: (school at this time, so she typically eats a lunchable with almond milk. and hubby eats a cheap lean cuisine frozen meal, I eat a few servings of spinach with light ranch or a serving of fruit)

after school snack: fruit or popcorn with cold water.

dinner: Spinach side salad with light ranch dressing (or dressing of their liking), Zucchini boats (zucchini split in half, spoon out just a bit of the center to make room for filling of ground turkey, homemade spaghetti sauce using canned crushed tomatoes with garlic paste, chopped onion, and italian seasoning, topped with mozz cheese. (can add turkey or low sodium pepperoni for the little ones)

(This is just one of our typical meal days)

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    There is a facebook group called 'feed your family on about £20 a week' - Not all of the recipes are healthy, but you will get plenty of money saving tips and recipes.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    The cereal comes in to play bc it is easy school mornings and not time consuming. I have been planning on trying the over night crock pot oatmeal with steel cut oats but I haven't been able to yet. We learned how to use our waffle iron to make eggs for eggs sandwiches so that was exciting. It's just a habit I am working to break.
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Chili, spaghetti with a salad, tacos, beans and rice, cabbage soup/unrolled cabbage rolls, vegetable soup, and chicken noodle soup are all ideas for homemade, healthy meals that you can feed 4 people for 2-3 days for a few bucks. And all are pretty kid friendly too.

I have followed the advice of making a bunch of chicken breast in the crockpot and then diviting it out for meals and freezing it. Then you have 1lb packages of cooked shredded/cobbled chicken to thaw and add to any dish.

I buy meat only when is marked down or on sale. I'm also feeding a family on a limited income so forgive me if I'm going overboard.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    PS Bravo for taking charge of your family's finances and eating habits.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @youngmommy2 those are just such great ideas.
    @ShelliesTrying , I suggest you stop worrying about certain foods being not so good like cereal and rice. The greater variety you add to your diet, the better it will be. The more home cooking you can squeeze in the more you will save, but it takes time and planning which I know is your limited resource.

Tinned tomatoes in all their forms are cheaper and last longer than their fresh counterparts. Tomatoes are the base for so many sauces and meals.

There were two cheap fast foods I kept in the house for my hungry teenagers. Those were canned baked beans and Chinese noodles. My children would snack on those after school instead of devouring the good stuff I had planned for dinner.

The two pieces of equipment that helped me save over the long run were my crock pot and my chest freezer. The crock pot for bulk cooking, and the freezer for bulk buying. Once I got going on those two I was able to save in other places.

I suggest you take the occasional money and use that to give yourself a leg up. Take a trip to that Big Lots! and stock up on the staples. Put aside a little of the money saved every week to buy on sale. This is how middle income families end up spending less money than the poor on food. It's having that little reserve to take advantage of sales.

Here's how a single chicken can make a few meals (depending on the size of your family!). Cook the whole chicken seasoned, in the crock pot resting on some potatoes. It comes out tender and tasty like Swiss Chalet chicken. You may save some chicken breast for sandwich meat later in the week if you like. After dinner, roast the chicken carcass in the oven for a few minutes, then put it back in the crock pot with some onion, spices, and celery. Let that simmer overnight. In the morning you have a lovely soup base that you can save for later or make a soup right there. Discard the bones and bits and save the liquid.

Dried beans and lentils are cheap and have that extra fiber and protein that is so good for us. Two great crock pot meals that children love are chilies and "sloppy joes". You can make a big batch and save the leftovers. These sorts of meals just taste better warmed up a second time.

I always had basic baking supplies like flour in my cupboard, powdered milk in case I ran out near the end of the month, and eggs. I never allowed myself to run out of eggs. With eggs I can make pancakes, muffins, omelet, scrambled, any number of delicious foods. I kept dehydrated onion and celery salt around in case I didn't have them on hand fresh.

I learned about this great link right here on MFP.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The cereal comes in to play bc it is easy school mornings and not time consuming. I have been planning on trying the over night crock pot oatmeal with steel cut oats but I haven't been able to yet. We learned how to use our waffle iron to make eggs for eggs sandwiches so that was exciting. It's just a habit I am working to break.

I will also do overnight oatmeal in jars or whatever other small container, and I just microwave it the next morning. The kids can add in their own extras to keep it from getting boring.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You should try making a large batch of pancakes from scratch and freezing them. You can serve them with some frozen fruit. It'd be cheaper than cereal.

You also mentioned your kids like beans. Try cooking dry beans--they are cheaper than canned beans. You can make a big pot of chili using dry beans and use just a small amount of ground beef for flavor. My husband and I eat beans and rice (and vegetables) at least once a week. It's a very cheap and filling meal.

Not sure how much time you have, but you could also bake your own bread. Sometimes you can find used bread machines at garage sales or on craigslist. If you don't have a bread machine, you can bake bread the old fashioned way over the weekend.
    http://www.thesimpledollar.com/homemade-bread-cheap-delicious-healthy-and-easier-than-you-think/

Don't follow recipes for meals. I normally cut up random vegetables, throw them in a skillet, season however I want, and eat. It's cheap and nutritious.

For fruit, I normally buy what's on sale.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    2/3 of my kids love oatmeal. I just need to get it in there more. I've only been able to concentrate on keeping us alive the last 3 months so it's been sandwiches, eggs and cereal pretty regularly. I catch those P3 things one sale 4/$5 and buy a lot of those. I have lived on those for 3 months and the kids also eat them for after school snacks as well. I had planned on just buying a block of cheese, ham and can of almonds and make our own.

It's been hard lately and I'm trying to do my best. But at the same time I want to make good choices. I don't want my kids surviving on pop-tarts or frozen pizza and chips bc they are cheap.

I really appreciate all of the tips and advice! You all have given me a lot of suggestions that I plan on incorporating. Part of this is also about setting a good example for my kids. I want them to know how to make healthy choices, not fast and cheap.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I do make bread! I have a bread machine and have taught my 13yo how to make bread with it. We had a big pot of potato soup and she made bread bowls with the dough setting on the bread machine. We were stuffed!

And yes my kids love a pot of beans. I found 1lb bags at walmart last weekend that were cheaper than the bigger bags so I bought several.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way, you are doing great. You are a survivor. You are planning a better future for your kids.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you have access to WIC for your littlest one? It wouldn't be much, but it would help.

Have you considered making your own bread? The cheap bread at the store is a barren nutritional wasteland. Buying a jar of yeast and a bag of whole wheat flour would make a ton of bread that is much more nutritionally dense and more filling. You can also switch up the ingredients for different nutritional needs or what you like. Add nuts, other grains, eggs, dried fruit, etc. You could also make your own breads for breakfast, such as banana with almost-bad bananas, zucchini, cinnamon. Make your own whole wheat pizza crust and use up your almost-old veggies. If you are adventurous, you can experiment with making other breads such as pita, tortillas, or crackers.

You can make a lot of things at home cheaper and more healthfully than at the store. I was a single mother on a very low income with NO child support for a long time. Roast a whole chicken for dinner one night. I used to use this as a "fancy" Sunday dinner. Use leftovers in something like enchiladas (make your own sauce!) on Tuesday, then boil the bones and any vegetable scraps (peels, onion skins, and ugly ends off carrots or other vegetables, celery leaves) for broth, skim off the fat, and make soup that is lower in sodium than the kind you get at the store on Wednesday. Use up your older or frozen veggies in the soup and make croutons with your homemade bread.

Put cheap seasonal produce in a freezer or deep freeze. This can save time if you, say, grab a handful of green peppers and throw them in some scrambled eggs or on a homemade pizza. Grab a cup of frozen cranberries (I bought some after the season for less than a dollar a bag at Wal-Mart!) and toss them into one of your homemade breads.

I make my own cheese with my bad milk. So easy!

Have you tried a food pantry at a local church? A garden in the summer? One of those pick-your-own-vegetable farms?

I flatter myself to say that I am good at food budgeting and avoiding waste (a professional cheapskate?). PM me if you need more ideas!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I will also do overnight oatmeal in jars or whatever other small container, and I just microwave it the next morning. The kids can add in their own extras to keep it from getting boring.

@ShelliesTrying - Overnight Oatmeal uses rolled oats rather than steel cut. There are tons of recipes. Here are some: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2015/05/13/overnight-oats-for-breakfast/

Making Overnight Oatmeal might be a fun family project as the kids can chose their own add-ins.

I love this as a bed time snack. (It has too many carbs and not enough protein or calories for me to have it for breakfast, but YMMV.) I let the yogurt "cook" the oats for about an hour before eating, but it could also go overnight. The oats will be mushier that way, which is fine.

7prlbvqseu3v.png
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    By the way, you are doing great. You are a survivor. You are planning a better future for your kids.

I appreciate this! I have been searching and it's really easy to find "cheap, quick and easy" meals that are horribly unhealthy and equally as easy to find information on eating healthy on a budget when you are one person. I want to continue my weight loss but most importantly keep them healthy. I have to figure out how to cut out some time for meal prep. I think that would make a huge difference.