Following the boring old Gov-endorsed healthy diet pyramid and loving it!

Options
qubetha
qubetha Posts: 83 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
hi all, just wanted to share. A while ago I decided to base my diet on the healthy diet pyramid (in my case, the Australian version) and I have found that the goals and boundaries it sets really inspired me to innovate in my cooking and food choices each day. I didn't want to choose a diet that excluded some foods (like most of the mainstream "diets" out there such as paleo or low carb) so I turned to the one "diet" I had dismissed as boring. The healthy diet pyramid.

The Australian healthy diet pyramid in my case (differs depending on sex and age) mandates the following:

-375g vegetables each day (excluding potatoes)

-300g fruit each day,

-625ml milk (or equivalent in cheese or yoghurt -250ml milk = 40g cheese or 200g yoghurt)

-250g meat or eggs (or equivalent in beans and legumes 100g meat = 140g beans)

-200g cereals (incl bread and equivalent potatoes 100g potato = 40g cereal)

-Any calories left are to go to fats and oils (I get 15-20g here easily)

The healthy diet pyramid may seem incredibly boring after having heard teachers drone on about it for so many years....but I found it incredibly challenging to stick to! It is MUCH harder than you think it is to meet all those targets with your allotted daily calories. I really loved challenge (my competitive nature literally ate it up -pardon the pun!) and it totally revived my enthusiasm for healthy eating.

I would love for others to try the same and see if they end up feeling like I do.....or maybe I am a freak.....I NEED TO KNOW lol

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm that far off most days... but I don't eat that much fruit for sure.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Interesting ! Nice :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat more vegetables than that and often not that much fruit (although I had 300 g of melon this morning), but otherwise that's more like what I do than most other ways of eating. It doesn't seem as insanely starch heavy as the old US pyramid was.
  • qubetha
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I eat more vegetables than that and often not that much fruit (although I had 300 g of melon this morning), but otherwise that's more like what I do than most other ways of eating. It doesn't seem as insanely starch heavy as the old US pyramid was.

Yes, even with the Australian version, the cereals section is the first one I will ditch if I have reached my daily calorie goal. Strangely enough this generally tends to match another Australian official "diet" called the CSIRO total wellbeing diet (which claims to be the only diet in the world scientifically proven to genuinely result in permanent weight loss. If you are not familiar with the CSIRO they are Australia's government science research organization). The CSIRO diet is almost identical except they traded 80g of cereals for more meats and oils instead.

It's a shame these diets don't get more recognition because I think they can be just as interesting and inspiring. Plus the fact that they are based on scientific research really appeals to the scientist in me!

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I did the same (Aussie). Is that the 2015 one? For the first time they have put added sugar alongside salt outside of the pyramid. Changes to the layering too. I like it more than the old one (which I used).

1k74lzrhjooo.jpg
  • qubetha
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I did the same (Aussie). Is that the 2015 one? For the first time they have put added sugar alongside salt outside of the pyramid. Changes to the layering too. I like it more than the old one (which I used).

Mine was based on the older one and since they changed it I actually started doing a combination of 2015 plus the CSIRO diet (which is actually almost exactly like the 2015 but with a little more meat and fats).
  • Qskim
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you use the CSIRO site? A friend said she didn't like it. But their book looks ok.

ETA...she did the program and said logging food there was a PIA. :)
  • qubetha
    Options
    Do you use the CSIRO site? A friend said she didn't like it. But their book looks ok.

I bought the first book myself and received the second as a gift. To be honest I really only use the eating guide (with serving recommendations) at the front and develop my own recipes and exercises instead. The site was not very good last time I looked. I suspect they are trying make people buy the books sadly. Such a shame because I think the diet would be more popular if the information was more readily available. The money goes to science at least...

• Qskim
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »

I bought the first book myself and received the second as a gift. To be honest I really only use the eating guide (with serving recommendations) at the front and develop my own recipes and exercises instead. The site was not very good last time I looked. I suspect they are trying make people buy the books sadly. Such a shame because I think the diet would be more popular if the information was more readily available. The money goes to science at least...

Yeh I was surprised they charged for the program but I didn't know that it raised money for research. Good to know.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    The CSIRO diet is almost identical except they traded 80g of cereals for more meats and oils instead.

I've made that trade off, although personally I think their carb allocation (mostly due to the cereal component) is still on the high side. Many cereals aren't very nutrient dense. I seem to do fine on 118g total carbs a day average (makes me lower, not low, carb) and I'm a distance runner... and yes, I feel great too!

• qubetha
    Options
    I've made that trade off, although personally I think their carb allocation (mostly due to the cereal component) is still on the high side. Many cereals aren't very nutrient dense. I seem to do fine on 118g total carbs a day average (makes me lower, not low, carb) and I'm a distance runner... and yes, I feel great too!

Interestingly they let you count beans and legumes as cereals as well as meats......I find it convenient to use them as a "better" alternative to cereal. Sometimes when I am close to the calorie limit on a given day I will count beans as both meat and cereal (double dipping I know). It's probably not legit.......but still a darn sight healthier than turning to junk food (which I LOVE by the way. Not easy to avoid)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    200 g seems high for cereal to me too (mostly because I just don't eat a lot of grains most days and a serving to me is more like 50 g or a bit less, at least based on dry oats or pasta), but translating it into potatoes or legumes also makes it seem more reasonable. (I realized I'm not sure what the numbers are if you do that as I was assuming 1 to 1 and now it looks like doing that increases the number.)

But anyway that's just based on my own diet.
  • Qskim
    Options

Interestingly they let you count beans and legumes as cereals as well as meats......I find it convenient to use them as a "better" alternative to cereal. Sometimes when I am close to the calorie limit on a given day I will count beans as both meat and cereal (double dipping I know). It's probably not legit.......but still a darn sight healthier than turning to junk food (which I LOVE by the way. Not easy to avoid)

Do you remember that "swap it" campaign? Used to be gov advertised years ago. That was a good approach too, and focusing on decreasing your waistline. Which was one of my goals before considering BMI. It's a shame they don't have that again.
  • qubetha
    Options

Do you remember that "swap it" campaign? Used to be gov advertised years ago. That was a good approach too, and focusing on decreasing your waistline. Which was one of my goals before considering BMI. It's a shame they don't have that again.

No I don't remember that campaign but I was a bit late to the party with health initiatives. it sounds like they should bring it back! There are not enough health public service announcements and initiative in Australia these days (it's kind of left up to people to self-start).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I liked using our American Diabetic diet especially the exchanges because it emphasized portion control
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

1k74lzrhjooo.jpg

I like that the Australia one has fruits/vegs as the foundation. I never could get into the American because we used grains as our foundation.
  • qubetha
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I liked using our American Diabetic diet especially the exchanges because it emphasized portion control

I'm obsessed with portion control. If I buy a box of cereal I portion out 50gram quantities into little bags and shove them all back into the box. That way I will always have the right portion no matter how lazy I am on the day. I do it with all foods that have a large number of portions per pack. Even meat gets frozen in 100g portions (carefully weighed out) so that if I grab a couple on a lazy day I don't need to re-weigh. It's all too easy to give up on portions on a "bad" day......this is my way of combatting that by doing all my portioning when i am full of the motivation to do it!

It gives me something to do in front of the TV!
  • Qskim
    Options

1k74lzrhjooo.jpg

I like that the Australia one has fruits/vegs as the foundation. I never could get into the American because we used grains as our foundation.

Agree. Our older version had grains as foundation. I didn't like that either.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options

1k74lzrhjooo.jpg

Agree. Our older version had grains as foundation. I didn't like that either.

Oh, you mean the "feed lot pyramid"? It was created in the 60s, I believe, as a response to lobbying from the grain producers of America. Incidentally, it bears a striking similarity to the food ratios that farmers use to fatten hogs and cattle for slaughter.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I went to a Registered Dietitian years ago and she wrote a food plan for me that closely resembled the US food pyramid (with grains as the base but also lots of fruits and veggies). It changed my life. I ate more, lost weight, felt great, and had tons of energy. I still follow the program to this day, and I haven't experienced the weight gain that many other women in their 40's do. I know all the criticisms of bread and grains, but for me it just works. I'm very active and perform better with the carbs than without them. It is really interesting seeing the differences in the Australia version. Thanks for sharing it!