Don't be afraid to lift those weights ladies!!!

Options
All my friends said lifting heavy weights would make me look big & manly. Yeah ok.......

yjoko9lfbjyk.jpg

3j3vy1notou6.jpg

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, you look fabulous!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Excellent job!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You look great. I wish more ladies would lift weights too. My gym comprises of all the cardio machines taken up by woman listening to IPods and staring at a blank wall as they step or run and loads of blokes lifting weights over the other side of the room. Hardly ever does anyone move out of their territory lol. It would be great to see more girls in the weights section rather than the sausage fest I have to endure.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Great work! Selfies are a must after heavy lifting. That's when my abs pop :) . You have beautiful definition.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff - you look fab!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    :blushing: HOTT
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    You look great. I wish more ladies would lift weights too. My gym comprises of all the cardio machines taken up by woman listening to IPods and staring at a blank wall as they step or run and loads of blokes lifting weights over the other side of the room. Hardly ever does anyone move out of their territory lol. It would be great to see more girls in the weights section rather than the sausage fest I have to endure.

LOL right?!? I joined my local YMCA shortly after it opened and went straight to the free weights. The guys looked at me like I was some kind of alien that was about to probe them. It was awesome. They tended to flock around gawking at me like I was a unicorn or some other magical creature they'd never seen before.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

LOL right?!? I joined my local YMCA shortly after it opened and went straight to the free weights. The guys looked at me like I was some kind of alien that was about to probe them. It was awesome. They tended to flock around gawking at me like I was a unicorn or some other magical creature they'd never seen before.

Ha! Exactly. Nothing would motivate me more to go to the gym than a load of girls in the weight room. It's a win win for everybody. :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If that's what manly looks like, sign me up! <3
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights next the guys, I'm just like step aside & give me some room lol!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!

I'm often the only woman on the weights side of my gym ... it can be a bit intimidating at first, and although I've met a handful of a**hats who have given me a bit of a hard time, most people are really nice.

I have a long way to go but I hope one day I can look as good as you! Thanks for posting this - my daily inspiration :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just the culture where I live, but there are ALOT of female lifters at my gym (I go to two and both are the same). I would say it's 70% male, 30% female in the weights section.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You look gorgeous and also a great advert for more women lifting.

I love lifting because it makes me feel powerful and incredibly sassy. I love when guys look at you as you've just walked into the men's room, wondering what you're going to do next. I'm used to being the only woman because, in my dojang, I am usually the only woman left sparring with the men.

We've got the POWER!!!
  • cek2014
    cek2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OMG you look amazing!! Any tips?! Also how do you keep yourself motivated to exercise :)
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options

This is exactly what stops me lifting heavy! You look awesome and I'd love to start heavy lifting and get a hot body like that but I find that part of my gym superbly intimidating. I go to lots of group classes at the gym and find everyone in the classes amazingly supportive. I lift a bit in les mills body pump classes but can't get my weights above 30kg because of the speed and number of reps. I have noticed a great strength improvement since starting pump and circuit training but the free weights section of the gym is the home of a gaggle of pumped up young guys who stare if a girl even goes within a few metres let alone pick up a barbell or set up the squat rack! I just don't have the confidence to get past that so heavy lifting is not going to happen for me until I can afford home gym equipment or a personal trainer to hide behind!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    debsbiggs wrote: »

This is exactly what stops me lifting heavy! You look awesome and I'd love to start heavy lifting and get a hot body like that but I find that part of my gym superbly intimidating. I go to lots of group classes at the gym and find everyone in the classes amazingly supportive. I lift a bit in les mills body pump classes but can't get my weights above 30kg because of the speed and number of reps. I have noticed a great strength improvement since starting pump and circuit training but the free weights section of the gym is the home of a gaggle of pumped up young guys who stare if a girl even goes within a few metres let alone pick up a barbell or set up the squat rack! I just don't have the confidence to get past that so heavy lifting is not going to happen for me until I can afford home gym equipment or a personal trainer to hide behind!

If you are intimidated by the free weights section, stick to the machines. I have never lifted a free weight and I have managed to build more muscle than most women I've seen at my gym. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
  • healinghearts
    healinghearts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to do weights for my stomach. Any tips
  • healinghearts
    healinghearts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You look great
  • elpomo
    elpomo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You look awesome, congrats!! I remember when I first started lifting, as a guy I was SUPER intimidated by all the other guys lifting weights. It's been a little over a year now of "lifting heavy" (whatever that means) and I feel right at home. I do my thing and don't worry that about what others are thinking, even though they out lift me. In fact I struck up a conversation with a woman power lifter that can out bench me EASY and she gave me a few pointers and was nice as can be =)
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yeah i've never understood the myth that if you lift for a couple months you'll look like chyna from wwe, if it was that easy a lot more dudes would be buff. healinghearts i would do pullups and dumbbell bench press those seem to have strengthened my core muscles quite a bit though if you're looking for abs it's as much a lack of stomach fat as it is strong stomach muscles.