Headaches from eating healthy food??

Options
Hi everyone. Anybody experience getting headaches when you start to eat real, natural foods like fresh vegetables and fruits? I'm not doing a crazy detox, just eating more fruits and veggies and feel like yesterday my body was like "Whoa, what are you doing??" Anyone experience this and how long did it take your body to adjust? 1 week? 2 weeks? Thanks in advance for feedback and opinions.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You need to drink more water, you are probably a little dehydrated. Water is very, very important :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How many calories did you eat?
    Where you a heavy caffeine drinker and cut back or go cold turkey?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Seems very unlikely to be due to fruits and vegetables.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My bets are with dehydration or caffeine withdrawal as well.

When I switch my carbs from breads to fruits and vegetables I get a burst of energy that I interpret as my body getting ready to go hunting for real food.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating enough calories or eating way fewer than you have, it can cause headaches. I also get headaches when dehydrated.

Could it also have just been a bad allergy day or maybe coming down with a cold? So many diet-unrelated options here.

I also got headaches when I ate less sugar (I was eating WAY too much). If that's the case for you, it took me about 2 weeks to really start feeling good again. However, I also did crazy stuff with my diet during those two weeks that DID NOT help me feel good. I would absolutely not recommend eating the way that I did.
  • sji82
    sji82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have to be more mindful of how much water I drink because right now I can't give a accurate answer. I don't know if i'm having 8 cups or more of water, so need to be more mindful of that.

As far as caffeine, I usually have 1 to 2 cups of coffee in the AM, and sometimes a latte in the afternoon. So I can see how it can be caffeine withdrawals. Darn caffeine withdrawals, hate them so much lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chocolate gives me a headache, but not fruits and veggies. I didn't notice any change when I started eating healthy. It wasn't until I downed a big, greasy meal that I noticed I don't feel as well when I eat that stuff...but even then, I wasn't actually ill.

Caffeine withdrawal, though. Hoo Boy! Yes, I know those headaches. They're little monsters, those guys. Being outside seems to help me a lot and swimming helped even more (pool or ocean, either way.) Tapering the caffeine down is a big help with the headaches. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    more than likely youre dehydrated or *possibly* not getting enough to eat. both will cause me to get headaches.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would add that not getting enough dietary fat can also cause headaches and other weird stuff...a lot of people think they need to dump most dietary fat to eat healthy...but reality is that dietary fat is very essential to your body working properly...it is also essential for absorbing a lot of the vitamins and minerals in your veg and whatnot.

things like nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, etc are excellent sources of healthy fats.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have to be more mindful of how much water I drink because right now I can't give a accurate answer. I don't know if i'm having 8 cups or more of water, so need to be more mindful of that.

As far as caffeine, I usually have 1 to 2 cups of coffee in the AM, and sometimes a latte in the afternoon. So I can see how it can be caffeine withdrawals. Darn caffeine withdrawals, hate them so much lol

than dont cut out the coffee ;)

I drink about 14 cups a day. Delicious black coffee
    And in the afternoon or after dinner i make myself a nice treat, like a Starbucks frappucino kinda coffee or cappuccino. Or any other flavored coffee.

Men, coffee keeps me going

95069916.png
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The "You must drink 8 glasses of water per day" rule is to be taken with a pinch of salt, in my opinion. Keep yourself hydrated but don't feel you have to stick to any guidelines. We have enough of that with the calorie counting! :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you cut your coffee, that's probably why.
  • sji82
    sji82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You guys are right. So funny what happens when you take the simple, little things for granted. Chugging a bottle of water at work right now. Gotta battle the heat and humidity today! Stay Hydrated folks! And thanks everyone!
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was getting headaches and ringing ears (tinnitus) from some protein powders. Not from normal fruits and veg though.
  • Billy213
    Billy213 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had constant headaches for the first 10 days or so. I drank plenty of water and could never really pinpoint the cause of the problem. Maybe a complete coincidence? Not sure. But it was very unusual.