I was OBESES but HAPPY

Options
DaceyG1990
DaceyG1990 Posts: 103 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
kqggiy3gt8ej.jpg

How the heck are you? My name is DaceyG and I recently lost a *kitten* ton of weight. The picture above was take in August of 2015. I want to talk about happiness as it relates to body image.

Because I currently have no life, I spend countless hours on the computer reading and watching weight-loss success stories. One day soon I hope to make one of my own. But how do I start, every single one I've watched and read started the same way. They discussed how unhappy they were with their bodies and how they felt out of place, ashamed, ugly and/or depressed. I started to wonder, would my success story start the same way? Did I miss the memo of being disgusted with who I was and the way I looked?

When I was at my heaviest weight of 238lbs (2014) I wasn't ashamed of my body. In fact I showed more skin than I dare to show at my current weight (172lbs). When I looked in the mirror I saw beauty and made damn sure people around me were aware of that too. So making a success story about how I workout my way into happiness would be a lie. I was (and still am) happy, confident and I love myself. I can't watch/read these success stories without wondering why these amazing beautiful people would feel this way.

When I look at my before picture i realized the lack of a smile on my face, I had to question was I truly happy? Yes! I was still happy. Let's break down the things going through my head as I took that picture back in October 2014.

Inner Dayday: "What the hell are you about to get yourself into? girl you haven't run or even taken the stairs in almost five damn years and now you call yourself trying to do P90X. You know that pizza you love sooo much? Well, you can't have it. You're a vegetarian who loves her veggies deep fried or dipped and ranch, you mean to tell me you going to be eating just plain veggies?".... and so on

So with all of that going on in my head I hope you can see why the smile does not exist. I was about to change my whole lifestyle. I know that some of you (if anyone is actually reading this) might be asking "if you were so happy then why did you want to lose weight?" Let me debunk something for you all. My goal was NEVER NEVER to lose weight. My goal was/ still is to be on the show American Ninja Warrior. Now for those of you who don't know the show, lets just say it is a physically challenging goal and I could not have any hopes of completing that goal at 238lbs.

Now back to the original point of this post. Why do all these success stories start so depressing and self-loathing? The only answer I could come up with is, society and the media. I watch a lot of movies and TV shows and it is rare to see someone like me (woman, black, and obese) play the leading lady or the love interest. Therefore, it is no surprise that people would not feel like they would be desired based on the way they look. As children we always wanted to be the hero, but heroes were always played by Skinny women with big boobs or totally ripped men. So what does that make the rest of us? evil? villains? HELL NO! We are just as beautiful and heroic as anyone else. Remember the question we were all asked as a child "If someone jumped of a bridge would you do it too?" My point is, if you want to lose weight or make any changes in your life, do it because you want to, Not because you think that's what others want of you.

So yes I was obese AND happy and NO ONE can take that away from me. So the next time society says "you're not good enough" just smile and say "you're right, I'M BETTER!"

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    actually read this :)
    you have clearly worked hard to be on the ANW show, hope your dream comes true..
    do love your attitude! meeting our goals because "we" want to makes them much more achievable for sure.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Now that's a refreshing post !! Super like this :* , what a attitude girl !!

Oh and Yeah I didn't got the hate memo either at 300 lbs... And yes I always struggle when I see often post of people like right around the corner of even a normal bmi or at a normal bmi and so much self hate/dislike.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm with you ... when I hit my highest weight, I was also happy. I actually liked several aspects of the way I looked better when I was heavier than my renewed lighter features ... but I enjoyed and still enjoy my life.

However, I'm a cyclist and I now live in a very hilly area. If I wanted to be able to do the rides in this area, most of which have a tremendous amount of climbing, I needed to be lighter ... power to weight ratio. So I lost the weight.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is simply awesome!!! You rock!!!
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've never been obese but enjoyed reading your post SO MUCH. I agree with you about all the self hate coming from the impossible standards set by society/media.

I love your attitude! You're simply amazing!!
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is probably my favorite message board topic I've ever read. Congratulations on your fitness success!

It's interesting how your comfort in showing skin has changed. I wonder why that's the case? Do you think it could be related to how, since you've lost weight, you feel more sexualized or objectified? Don't mean to psychoanalyze you or anything. I just think it's sociologically fascinating.
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And best of luck with the show!
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
    leeyuhsee wrote: »
    This is probably my favorite message board topic I've ever read. Congratulations on your fitness success!

It's interesting how your comfort in showing skin has changed. I wonder why that's the case? Do you think it could be related to how, since you've lost weight, you feel more sexualized or objectified? Don't mean to psychoanalyze you or anything. I just think it's sociologically fascinating.

I honestly can't answer this question I've actually never thought about it!!!

• DaceyG1990
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your awesome words
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    thanks for this. Yo are SO right on the 'do it because it's what YOU want' thing.

I'm currently working on NOT losing weight. By that I mean that's not my focus. It's not about the way I look, the way I feel or the clothes I can get into. Because if I make it about those things, what happens when I get to having lost the weight I am told I should be? Will I suddenly become gorgeous? Do I have to DO something to become gorgeous? And what, and this is the terrifying what, what if I don't FEEL gorgeous when I hit some arbitrary target?

I'm working on changing my focus to feeling great. That's it, nothing more than that as a goal. To feel great each and every day. That probably will mean that I will be fitter, slimmer and generally healthier. But if I'm not happy NOW, why am I suddenly going to get happy later?
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
    I watch a lot of movies and TV shows and it is rare to see someone like me (woman, black, and obese) play the leading lady or the love interest.

Why are u buying into this? It is your own life, write your own script. You dont need to be skinny with big boobs to be the leading lady in your life. If you want to be a super ninja who shows skin then do it.

And you are wrong, The Color Purple,What's Love Got to Do With It? , Precious, Lady Sings the Blues, I know why the caged bird sings, Beloved,......

all black leading ladies with not so perfect bods.....dont blame the media, be your own leading lady.

black is beautiful.

The whole point of the post is that I'm not buying into the media and I am happy with who I am. I've seen everyone of those movies and with the exception of two these movies make note to point out that these " leading ladies " are not beautiful " you sure is ugly". As an actress with two degrees in theatre and film studies I know these films are tragic which brings up so much struggle for black actors. However that is for Different post entirely. Thanks for commenting

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great post. You have made quite a transformation. :mrgreen:
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. You are a super hero && should be so proud of yourself. LOVE that you LOVE yourself. I am slowly working on that. :) You go girl. You were beautiful before and you are beautiful now! @DaceyG1990
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What a great message! Good luck to you - I will be praying that you make it onto ANW :) I was never in the 'obese' BMI range, but I was unhappy with my body at my highest weight. I don't think it was because of media or society though. I felt bad physically. Tired all the time, sweaty (UGH! hated the 'boob sweat' - Lol!), squeezed into my clothes because I refused to buy more in bigger sizes, and just generally 'blah'. So I started losing and working out in order to get more fit and boost my energy levels and fit back into my clothes comfortably. Although, now I've gone far enough that I need more clothes again - only smaller this time - but I can live with that!
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
    Thank you guys for being awesome!
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I'm so glad you found a motivation that didn't involve loathing yourself! Congrats on getting that much closer to your ANW goal!
  • nitaleotta
    nitaleotta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love this post DaceyG! Contentment is mostly in our minds and we shouldn't forget that :).