Intermittent fasting

Options
Kimbot88
Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone had any success with Intermittent fasting? Or any horror stories?

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just eat nothing from a box no fast food or fried food. You're body wants foods with nutritional value fruit/veggies/fish/nuts
  • Kimbot88
    Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Just eat nothing from a box no fast food or fried food. You're body wants foods with nutritional value fruit/veggies/fish/nuts

I do all that.. I don't eat fast or fried food. Just wondering about benefits of IF.
  • Jobroni93
    Jobroni93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lost 7 in a week and a half. Lost muscles through the future process but I looked more defined.
  • Jobroni93
    Jobroni93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not doing it again though
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't think fasting of any kind is good for you. If I skip a meal I get dizzy spells and trust me this gets worse over time. You can have a lower calorie lunch to eat a high cal dinner. I do that all the time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is great. 18:6. :) Look up Lean Gains.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Jobroni93 wrote: »
    Lost 7 in a week and a half. Lost muscles through the future process but I looked more defined.

You bring up the point of losing muscle, which I feel is valid. But really anyone working on a calorie deficit is probably losing some muscle. They are just losing it slower.

I've read quite a bit about the overall picture lately, and some support short term fasting. As with any weight loss program at all you can lose muscle. But it seems that often the variance in opinions come with where the line is drawn between triggering greater fat consumption and doing it too long to change metabolism and/or simply stress the body with lack of nutrition.

I think it's an interesting topic, and may work well for some people. Many people do short term fasting most of their lives as part of their religious practices, and I've never seen evidence that those people destroy their health in doing so. And I think a large number of people have eaten at a large calorie deficit for at least short periods of time, whether due to illness or just lack of proper eating for a period.

It seems to be an area with a lot of varied opinions. I've looked trying to find a solid answer on just what is a safe single day calorie deficit, and I may as well consider it fasting because the answers seem to be all over the place.

• the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try to intermittent fast once a week, but I do it for a different reason than the burning fat thing. I'm a constant snacker, and IF helps teach me to go long periods of time without eating. It teaches me it's ok to go a few hours without putting something in my mouth. It also helps teach me what hunger feels like, and that I can handle being hungry for an hour or two without dying.

I don't think I lose more weight when I IF versus when I eat three meals. But IF'ing has made it easy to forgo snacks and stay within my calorie range, although it's something I'm still working on.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    There's an Intermittent Fasting discussion group on here somewhere but I can't find it to link atm as I'm on my phone. It works really well for me personally as it helps me to control my calorie intake - I can eat most of my calories in one big delicious nutritious dinner and never feel deprived as I'm having a little feast every day!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use 17off/7on and it works great for me. My eating window is 12-7p. I don't like breakfast and I have to stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. That cuts my eating time by a few hours. I cut it by a couple more just because.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't think fasting of any kind is good for you. If I skip a meal I get dizzy spells and trust me this gets worse over time. You can have a lower calorie lunch to eat a high cal dinner. I do that all the time.

If you get dizzy after skipping a single meal, you've probably got blood sugar issues. I'd see a doctor if I were you.

• Peggy69
    Peggy69 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of 8:16 eating, and I've finally found something that suits me. Start with breakfast at 10am and finish at 6pm.....rarely feel hungry and I'm losing a steady amount of weight daily. Eating healthily, with a few treats. One thing I've just realised too is that I was over-eating so much by using the FitBit app improperly. I didn't have fitbit connected to myfitness and was putting in my walking calories manually. Now that they're connected, I realise I don't have 600 calories to eat back from my walking. In fact, if I walk 10,000 steps, it gives me about 200 extra calories. Result - started to lose weight properly.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 (+/-) and love it. Fits my lifestyle
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

If you get dizzy after skipping a single meal, you've probably got blood sugar issues. I'd see a doctor if I were you.

I have the same issue and I seen my dr and was tested and my blood sugar is fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kimbot88 wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »

I do all that.. I don't eat fast or fried food. Just wondering about benefits of IF.

The benefits for some people are; they find a way to be consistent with their calorie deficit.

There are a ton of advertised "benefits" - but studies are small or evidence is merely anecdotal. Maybe someday there will be evidence....but I would take advertised "benefits" with a grain of salt.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I did the 5:2 version.
    Loved it - found it far easier for sticking to a weekly calorie goal than every day deficit.
    Also supported my heavy exercise schedule better than constant deficit.

Suited me extremely well but thats the thing with adherence, it's very personal.