Bread

Options

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    hollie894 wrote: »
    I eat bread. I LOVE bagels :)
    It's not 'bad' to eat and enjoy bread (in my opinion) - as long as that calorie deficit is still in effect.

I can see that bread could cause bloating for some people (my mum has to avoid bread for this very reason) - I just hope this doesn't happen to me!

Have you had a burger in a toasted bagel... taste sensation!

I haven't but now i WANT ONE!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We get our bread at the local bakery. But since I've started logging my food .. I have went from like 4-5 slices a day .. To 1 or 2. I think I feel better when I eat less. But mmm. Love fresh bread.
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hollie894 wrote: »
    I eat bread. I LOVE bagels :)
    It's not 'bad' to eat and enjoy bread (in my opinion) - as long as that calorie deficit is still in effect.

I can see that bread could cause bloating for some people (my mum has to avoid bread for this very reason) - I just hope this doesn't happen to me!

Have you had a burger in a toasted bagel... taste sensation!

I haven't but now i WANT ONE!!!! :open_mouth:

Swear to god you'll never look back!

I used to make smoked garlic burgers topped with crispy pancetta and halloumi cheese in a toasted bagel!

Not that I in any way condone eating such an abundance of calories...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Bread was the one thing I craved when I started here. Funny thing was, I didn't used to eat a lot of bread, but I've about doubled what I eat since I joined MFP and started losing weight.

Bread is delicious ... and of course, we get good breads now, not just the cheap stuff at the lowest prices.

In fact, I was just looking at how many calories I have left today, and I think I'm going to make some toast with honey to have with my Rooibos tea. :)
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Uk. I wasn't actually trying to cut out bread completely but decided instead of a sandwich every lunh, some days I switch to crisp bakes, rice cakes or sandwich thins. Well I've found I actually really don't like bread anymore :/ don't enjoy sandwiches anymore and meet have toast for breakfast these days.

Just don't like the taste or texture. And considering a slice of bread is at least 100 calories, I can have 3 or 4 rice cakes for that and still have something I enjoy.

Saying that, I do still love baguettes, but very rarely have them.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I eat it now and then but it has to be amazing, like Whole Foods olive chibatta :smile: I try to use sandwich thins or bagel thins or Josephs to save the calories as well if I'm going to have it.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love bread but it doesn't love me.
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day. I'm French and bread is an absolute necessity for us :p for breakfast, with the main meal, with cheese... YUM.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love bread, but I limit my intake because it is super easy to over-indulge. Usually when bread is presented to me it is at a restaurant and I abstain because there is something else I'm planning for those calories!

I use very thin flatbread for sandwiches a lot.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Fresh bread is never a waste of calories, you should wash your mouth out for suggesting such a thing ;)
    Maybe you feel better because you are gluten intolerant?
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love it and was miserable when I fell into the "bread is bad" trap and gave it up for awhile. Much happier now. But if you feel better without it, don't eat it. :-)
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Fresh, homemade bread, straight out of the oven........with butter........and relax!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kat239 wrote: »
    Morning all, your views on bread. I think it's a waste of empty calories. Bread in the UK is so full of crap. I've not eating any for over a week now and I feel so much better.

My view is that bread contains nutrients and can be part of my diet. It isn't empty calories.
    I don't eat bread all day, every day. I do like some bread though.
    I pre-log and if I see I am going over on calories for the day then I might remove bread, cheese or condiments and choose other foods.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    kat239 wrote: »
    Morning all, your views on bread. I think it's a waste of empty calories. Bread in the UK is so full of crap. I've not eating any for over a week now and I feel so much better.

Entirely your choice, but it is a good source of macronutrients - carbohydrates, protein, and fats all rolled into one. Plus fiber if you get whole grain varieties. Make a sandwich with meat, cheese, and vegetables and you've got a very well-rounded meal. Not 'empty calories' at all. There are hundreds of varieties of bread, or you can make your own.
    Or you can not eat it. That's your choice, and if you feel better not eating it, then don't. Just find another source for your macros.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If not eating bread has made you feel better you may have an underlying medical condition or it could be the placebo effect .

If you don't like bread, don't eat it . its that simple.

I like bread, I eat it daily .
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sour dough!
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A relative was telling me they read somewhere that whole wheat bread is responsible for fat accumulation in the midsection (I have yet to see the source). I've read a bunch of conflicting articles which left me confused and lost in the whole grain vs whole wheat debate. I'm staying away from bread as much as possible until I get it figured out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    A relative was telling me they read somewhere that whole wheat bread is responsible for fat accumulation in the midsection (I have yet to see the source). I've read a bunch of conflicting articles which left me confused and lost in the whole grain vs whole wheat debate. I'm staying away from bread as much as possible until I get it figured out.

That doesn't make any sense. Overeating calories is responsible for fat accumulation in the midsection, and your own genetics. Don't overeat (the food source doesn't matter) and that won't happen. Cutting out a food group for the purpose of fat on one part of the body doesn't make any sense at all. You can't spot reduce fat by either exercise or diet.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Your relative is wrong.

Any differences between types of bread is negligible in the grand scheme of a balanced diet, and non will be the deciding factor in overall nutrition.

There you go, now you can eat bread.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday. i fit it into my calorie allotment. no worries