Healthier pizza recipes or tips??

sarahshaw05
sarahshaw05 Posts: 3 Member
Hi All

I love pizza, and it shows! I don't mind dieting but find that pizza is my down fall. I don't want to cut it out entirely so I am looking for any healthier recipes or tips. This is so I can get my pizza fix and not ruin my diet! Heard of cauliflower bases but no idea of how to make them and I realise that a lot of it is to do with what you put on the pizza. Any recipes and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Sarah

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I've used a thin whole grain crust.
    I've used cauliflower crust
    I've used zucchinni crust

It really depends on your goals, your calories and your cravings. I'm not usually happy with one slice, so making my crust thinner or from a vegetable is often my goal.

Here's a good zucchini one: http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2012/08/28/zucchini-pizza-crust-and-wiaw/
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    I like using either whole wheat english muffins or pitas
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I use a nice pita bread and go with very flavourful toppings so you need less. Feta cheese, olives, sundried tomatoes, rocket, very thin spicy salami... you get a lot of taste from a smaller amount.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Home made with a thin crust, lots of veg/meat toppings.... have one or two slices and enjoy it with lots of salad on the side. I'm not a fan of pizzas so 1 slice is enough for me.

Flour tortillas work well as a base too :smile:
  • BNMit
    BNMit Posts: 1 Member
    I've found 1/3 cup stone ground wheat flour added to unbleached whole wheat flour works really well,and I've cut back to eating only one slice (used to eat two or three) of my home made pizza, which includes fresh tomatoes, basil, and cheese. I supplement with a large handful of baby carrots and a nice glass of wine. (This is my go-to meal on Friday nights).
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Tortilla pizza.. or english muffins for mini pizzas.. then sauce, cheese and all your toppings on top. Mmmm I want this now.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I like real pizza, over the years I've tried the flaxseed bases, cauliflower bases, parmesan and egg bases. None of them cut it for me. Now I just buy the normal thin crust pepperoni pizza I like and eat a 1/4 of it served with heaps of mushrooms fried in garlic and oil and add a side salad.
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    I like pizza omlettles. Another thing i have done and like is take a piece of toast put my sauce cheese and some other toppings on it.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    advice from an Italian and pizza lover/eater/Icannotleavewithoutit:

pizza is pizza, all the rest are different things

it does depend on what you want to do, go for alternatives or...have pizza!

the best suggestion is to make your own dough, use light mozzarella and not overload it

you can have a really good pizza with vegetables on top

ham & mushrooms

obviously if you put meat then the calories go up

work out before, my evening homemade1200 cals pizza is the main motivation of my tuesday and friday 20k runs! :smile:

it's carbs + fats mainly, so either you enjoy it or you don't
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    The crust is not a big deal for me, so absolutely anything I can smear a measured amount of pizza sauce on and some pre- cooked veg and cheese does it for me. Put it on roasted zucchini, eggplant, tortilla, etc. I even did this with a chicken breast, baked in the oven and then topped with pizza sauce, pre-cooked onion, mushrooms & garlic then topped with cheese and left in just long enough to melt... Kind of chicken parm, but definitely pizza flavor!

I know the crust is a must for many and the fact that it's a "finger"food of sorts so there's also that tactile thing with the way in which it's normally eaten. If that's your thing, my ideas might not cut it for you.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Pita pizzas come out really well if you broil one side until slightly crispy, turn it over and put your sauce and toppings on, then broil until cheese is melted. I do this with my daughter at least once a week.

Flatout bread also comes out really well. For either of them you can easily have an entire personal sized pizza for under 300 calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Pita pizzas come out really well if you broil one side until slightly crispy, turn it over and put your sauce and toppings on, then broil until cheese is melted. I do this with my daughter at least once a week.

Flatout bread also comes out really well. For either of them you can easily have an entire personal sized pizza for under 300 calories.

Flatout bread does make a good crust.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I found too much bread in the crust would shoot up my sugar levels (T2) so I switched to thin crust. I also limit myself to two slices.

The calories comes from the cheese so if you can limit that along with the thin crust you can get the macros just about perfect. As mentioned above pairing with a leafy salad really helps balance it out.

Older, sharper cheeses grated fine give you the flavour with fewer calories.

My home made on pita or flat breads I prepare by first brushing with olive oil. This keeps the sauce from soggifying the crust. You only need a couple tablespoons of sauce. Load her up and light on the cheese and you have yourself a winner.

Hubby and I also pick up a convenience thin crust pizza on those days we reality don't feel like cooking.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Pizza is my favorite food and I could not succeed in my lifestyle without it! I make pizza by getting Trader Joe's whole wheat dough and divide it out to 1.5-2.5 oz depending on my activity that day. Then I roll out really thin (let dough rest on countertop for 20 min or it will "spring back" original size (small). Roll out on floured cutting board and put onto cookie sheet covered with foil and sprayed lightly with cooking spray. I then put Ragu Pizza Sauce on dough then top with lean meat or meats, tons of veggies and topped with low fat cheese. Bake in oven about 450 degrees for 10-12 min. You will love it! By eating pizza this way I can have it everyday if I wanted as long as I work out that day :) BTW- this dough freezes well so I divide it up and put ounces written on ziplock to know what it is.
  • sarahshaw05
    sarahshaw05 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you guys! So many great suggestions. I think I will have a lot of fun trying them all out! My tummy is rumbling!!!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    We make our own pizza, its our friday night tradition. Typically ours consists of homemade dough, a thin layer of cheese, and fresh tomatoes. Sometimes we add in sauteed onions and garlic, or toss basil on top too.

The great thing about making it yourself is that you can add/subtract whatever you wish, and you have full control over it. If you're worried about overdoing it, most homemade doughs freeze well, so you could make a full batch and just bake individual portions at a time.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    I like this homemade pizza dough recipe.
    http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-weeks-to-fill-your-freezer-freezer-friendly-pizza-dough-day-13.html
    1/6 of the dough is about 520 calories. 1/6 of the dough makes a really nice size thin crust pizza. Almost the size of a dinner plate.
    I put small amount of cheese, pizza sauce and veggies on top. Whole think clocked in under 700 calories. And it looks and tastes like real pizza. My kids actually like it better which always makes me smile...
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    My son's girlfriend is vegetarian and lactose intolerant so our regular Friday night pizza was an issue. I found a great pizza by Amy's (frozen) that has roasted vegetables and no cheese. It is fantastic! It is much lower in calories and has a great sweet like sauce flavor. I find it very filling. Great to keep in the freezer for whenever. I also personally like to take a pita slice carefully to make 2 crusts, put pizza sauce with added hot sauce or BBQ sauce, lots of cut up peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes (whatever I have handy) and a crumbled MorningStar spicy sausage patty, top with a very small amount of cheese (I prefer more toppings and less cheese anyway) and bake at 425 degrees until bubbly. It usually has so much on it that I have to eat it with knife and fork:)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I haven't done it for years...but I used to love pita pizzas, slice the pitas in half the long way (not the sandwich way)...we are talking grocery store pitas, not the super delicious real greek pitas. They make a great thin crust and are definitely low calorie. I'm going to do this over the weekend!