Healthier pizza recipes or tips??

Options

Replies

• kandivstrom
    kandivstrom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gluten free here. However low in calories taste just like Pizza Hut deep dish.my whole family couldn't believe it tasted just like deep dish pizza 315 calories and is really feeling

glutino English muffins 190 calories for a whole one.
    Pizza sauce homeade 20 calories
    Mozzarella cheese.1/4 cup. 80 calories
    Mushrooms, red onion , green pepper, turkey pepperoni (8) 35 calories
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried a zucchini crust I suggest you try it. I love them and not feel guilty about the carbs as that's a no no for me. Lots of veggies! Just be sure to bake crust well before adding toppings. I could even pick it up like regular pizza.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I make my own whole wheat crusts for personal sized pizzas. I've found that if u sprinkle grated parmesan on the tomato sauce, it keeps from needing too much cheese on top. I use to use about 2-3 oz of cheese and now 1 oz is enough for me. And load up on the veggies ;-)
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The crust is not a big deal for me, so absolutely anything I can smear a measured amount of pizza sauce on and some pre- cooked veg and cheese does it for me. Put it on roasted zucchini, eggplant, tortilla, etc. I even did this with a chicken breast, baked in the oven and then topped with pizza sauce, pre-cooked onion, mushrooms & garlic then topped with cheese and left in just long enough to melt... Kind of chicken parm, but definitely pizza flavor!

I know the crust is a must for many and the fact that it's a "finger"food of sorts so there's also that tactile thing with the way in which it's normally eaten. If that's your thing, my ideas might not cut it for you.

Same for me! I would rather have all the toppings!

I take one whole egg and 1 ounce of cream cheese (I have used full fat and FF and couldn't tell a difference), seasoning of choice...I usually use a dash of Garlic Powder and Oregano, ... and blend in bullet. I pour that mixture in a silicone baking mold and sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on the top and bake in oven on 350 until solid. remove from mold flip over and top with whatever you want! You can't really pick it up and hold it like you would a real slice of pizza but to me it is a good "pizza" substitute.

I also have done the pizza topping on a chicken breast and also used a thin turkey burger as the crust. I liked the thin turkey burger better.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The best pizza alternative has to be: Pita Bread Pizza!! Wholewheat pita's, topped with tomato paste, garlic, chili, low fat mozerella and baked until crisp. They are amazing!
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love using tortillas as a base, I really enjoy it as i like thin bases :) pitta bread bases are filling too.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Flat- out breads are the best thin crusts to me- I also enjoy the pita breads- I usually top the flat out breads with sauce and lots of veggies and a sprinkle of cheese- yummy- sometimes i will use the Jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles as well.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I also use Flat Out breads. One of my favorites is fig jam, goat cheese and prosciutto. I cook mine on the bbq.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My son's girlfriend is vegetarian and lactose intolerant so our regular Friday night pizza was an issue. I found a great pizza by Amy's (frozen) that has roasted vegetables and no cheese. It is fantastic! It is much lower in calories and has a great sweet like sauce flavor. I find it very filling. Great to keep in the freezer for whenever. I also personally like to take a pita slice carefully to make 2 crusts, put pizza sauce with added hot sauce or BBQ sauce, lots of cut up peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes (whatever I have handy) and a crumbled MorningStar spicy sausage patty, top with a very small amount of cheese (I prefer more toppings and less cheese anyway) and bake at 425 degrees until bubbly. It usually has so much on it that I have to eat it with knife and fork:)

My daughter in law is lactose intolerant. I buy the grated lactose free cheese for our pizzas. Taste like regular cheese.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My son's girlfriend is vegetarian and lactose intolerant so our regular Friday night pizza was an issue. I found a great pizza by Amy's (frozen) that has roasted vegetables and no cheese. It is fantastic! It is much lower in calories and has a great sweet like sauce flavor. I find it very filling. Great to keep in the freezer for whenever. I also personally like to take a pita slice carefully to make 2 crusts, put pizza sauce with added hot sauce or BBQ sauce, lots of cut up peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes (whatever I have handy) and a crumbled MorningStar spicy sausage patty, top with a very small amount of cheese (I prefer more toppings and less cheese anyway) and bake at 425 degrees until bubbly. It usually has so much on it that I have to eat it with knife and fork:)

Cabot brand is all lactose free
  • Tic150
    Tic150 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I love pizza, and it shows! I don't mind dieting but find that pizza is my down fall. I don't want to cut it out entirely so I am looking for any healthier recipes or tips. This is so I can get my pizza fix and not ruin my diet! Heard of cauliflower bases but no idea of how to make them and I realise that a lot of it is to do with what you put on the pizza. Any recipes and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Sarah

Op, I'm sure others must have mentioned but just create your own and make it healthier!
    You can use the cauliflower base fix or you could also use a low calorie wholegrain flatbread for the base.

Then add lots of veggies and some meat and tada - simples!
    What makes pizza heavy is usually the dough and the cheese - so skipping those or opting for lighter versions (use a babybell light square for example) you can "have your cake and eat it too"...or pizza ;)

Here is a recipe of one of my favourite youtube channels!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U_GHm-ugxdY

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I made a pretty good personal white pizza for dinner tonight. I used a whole wheat pita pocket, cottage cheese, kale/spinach, and buffalo seasoned chicken breast cuts with drizzled ranch dressing and a pinch of mozzarella. The whole pizza came out to 380(ish) calories, 14g net carbs, 16g fat, and 46g of protein.

I have some lemon pepper seasoned chicken breast cuts to use, and I'm trying to think of pizza ideas for them. I might do another cottage cheese base with maybe some olive oil, parmesan, kale, and lots of garlic powder.
  • adamcourt
    adamcourt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    High Protein Pizza is here! Freshly made, and freshly topped you will love these high protein, low carb, low fat, low calorie Pizza's!
    http://www.musclefood.com/meals/protein-pizza.html
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The crust is not a big deal for me, so absolutely anything I can smear a measured amount of pizza sauce on and some pre- cooked veg and cheese does it for me. Put it on roasted zucchini, eggplant, tortilla, etc. I even did this with a chicken breast, baked in the oven and then topped with pizza sauce, pre-cooked onion, mushrooms & garlic then topped with cheese and left in just long enough to melt... Kind of chicken parm, but definitely pizza flavor!

I know the crust is a must for many and the fact that it's a "finger"food of sorts so there's also that tactile thing with the way in which it's normally eaten. If that's your thing, my ideas might not cut it for you.

I do the chicken thing a lot too. I have found that flattening it a bit helps, but I also put raw veggies and turkey pepperoni on it before it goes in the oven.
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love pizza and gave it up and lost weight. The other day, my daughter asked me to pick up a Costco pepperoni pizza. My intent was to eat only one slice....but I ate two. The next day, I weighed in and had gained two pounds! I tried the cauliflower crust and it was a lot of work and not the same as a real crust! I'm going to try the flat bread and see if I gain or my blood sugar goes up.
  • Pinkylady80
    Pinkylady80 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I steal my kids pizza from the supermarket. Because its a kids one its smaller, low salt, low in sugar and low in fat. I usually add chicken onions, sweet corn and peppers with a dash of chilli sauce - yum!!!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you like mushrooms, a big portobello mushroom cap makes a good substitute :)
  • ChrisKom
    ChrisKom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use the weight watchers tortillas. They are delicious and take like 5 minutes to cook. I make a buffalo chicken pizza on them with hot sauce instead of pizza sauce and then I put cooked chicken and shredded carrot on and a tiny bit of low fat cheese. Once they are cooked I add fresh bean sprouts and green onion. They are soooooooooo good. I pair it wish a pea shoot salad.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've done tortillas and English muffins and it just doesn't do it for me... not if I crave pizza. Pita bread works pretty well though, so I usually do that... but then I have to buy a pack of 6, so I'm just better off buying a slice of pizza somewhere, honestly.

I need a better recipe for crusts though, mine hasn't turned out so well the last times I tried, but it was good the first time, if you want to give it a shot http://www.fearlesshomemaker.com/2012/08/thin-crust-pizza/

Oh and I used a French baguette once as crust. Totally satisfied me, surprisingly (it was delicious).