Fitbit question

Options
Does anybody know why my fitbit always says I'm over on my calories in/ calories out goal? I'm trying to maintain my weight so I figure I should eat what I burn but I'm always in the red? Last night I had 63 calories left but this morning it still said I am over!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too, but I ignore it - trust the mfp numbers rather than the Fitbit when it comes to goal calories. I've found Fitbit to be pretty accurate in general in regards to total daily burn.
  • hapeximendios
    hapeximendios Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your reply. It's a bit confusing because the graph thingy says I'm over but the speedometer gauge thing says I'm in the zone. I'll try to ignore it!
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit Flex linked to my MFP acct. I log my food on MFP not Fitbit. I go by MFP as it shows my Fitbit calorie adjustment and gives me a new total for the day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know why my fitbit always says I'm over on my calories in/ calories out goal? I'm trying to maintain my weight so I figure I should eat what I burn but I'm always in the red? Last night I had 63 calories left but this morning it still said I am over!

Fitbit prorates your calories by time of day—and goes way below 1,200 calories. Ignore it and follow your MFP calorie goal.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Sync your Fitbit account with Trendweight.com. (It's free.) It shows you a maintenance range rather than a specific weight. If you go above your range, lower your calories by 100. If you go below your range, increase your calories by 100.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why it does this either, but like others, I totally ignore the Fitbit's opinion on what I ought to eat -- both in if it's telling me I'm over/under, and when it gives me calories to eat on MFP. I just tend to look at the raw numbers. If it says I burnt around 2500 calories, I'll eat accordingly. I'm still in deficit, but the concept works for maintenance as well.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your goals on both MFP and Fitbit to make sure they are both on maintaining? In the zone is within 50 calories of your calorie target so if Fitbit is set to "easy" weight loss and you're eating maintenance you'll always be red because you no longer need to be in a deficit but Fitbit settings make it think you are...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't attempt to follow 2 roads to the same destination - it'll be confusing and aggravating, and if a man's driving hope you don't have to ask for directions.

Fitbit for exercise and daily activity goals.
    MFP for eating and those goals.

That specific gauge you reference is about useless anyway - remove the tile is usual suggestion.
    It is merely a single point in time - right then looking at it - nothing to do with your day as a whole and doesn't help your planning.

The problem with the hitting goal before bed (or before becoming couch potato) and being over goal on first sync in morning is because both MFP and Fitbit are estimating rest of your day as to what you'll burn.
    They have no idea when you'll go to bed - so they both estimate a per minute calorie burn which is higher than sleeping.
    So it's not until the next morning that Fitbit shares the fact you had no movement for so many hours and only burned so much, and MFP (and Fitbit) lower the prior day's burn, which means the eating goal lowered too. Which you already met.

Good news though - if you always become couch potato or go to bed about the same time, the difference will always be the same, so do the following to know how much to NOT eat.
    At that point you stop moving mainly in the evening, notice what the daily eating goal is (not what you ate).
    Next morning after first sync, look back at what corrected eating goal is.

That difference is how much you should leave in the green uneaten towards your goal. Then when it lowers next morning - there ya go, met goal.
  • yasdnyl
    yasdnyl Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I think, if you have your Fitbit set up this way, it only syncs with MFP once you are in WIFI area...so if you are logging calories all day with MFP, but dont sync your fitbit til lunch then not again until you go to bed that night, it may be in the negatives because Fitbit assumed you would have more steps by that time but didn't...does that make sense?
  • yasdnyl
    yasdnyl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    that being said, I believe there is an option to have them sync constantly (just might use up data...not sure?)
  • hapeximendios
    hapeximendios Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have checked my goals and settings and both say maintenance. Its a little bit annoying that it always says I'm over but I know I'm not because i always leave 50ish calories spare because I like to go to bed early. I have to say apart from this I really love my fitbit, it tells me my TDEE is 1800 ish which i'm quite happy with!
  • heybales
    Options
    Only using wireless data when connected via WiFi is a device option - not MFP/Fitbit option.

And even if that was the case - Fitbit account is still sending to MFP account (neither of which is on the device) an estimate of daily burn up to that point.

Which doesn't matter if no wireless data is set on device, because you'd never see the results of that action.

But that has nothing to do with MFP/Fitbit - shoot, checking a bank account for recent transaction and not actually have wireless data would be effected too.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have checked my goals and settings and both say maintenance. Its a little bit annoying that it always says I'm over but I know I'm not because i always leave 50ish calories spare because I like to go to bed early. I have to say apart from this I really love my fitbit, it tells me my TDEE is 1800 ish which i'm quite happy with!

Read my response - it answers your question.